SMF March 2017 Challenge- Black Background Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still please to note, at least to Artemis, that Afternoon Tea is a stellar scent and is reminding me of earl grey and lady grey teas.

It really is growing on me. After making the soap it had an odd, rice-like note to it, but that has faded and I'm left with something somewhere between tea and lemon water. Very light and fresh. It is definitely more tea-scented now than it was OOB.

It really is growing on me. After making the soap it had an odd, rice-like note to it, but that has faded and I'm left with something somewhere between tea and lemon water. Very light and fresh. It is definitely more tea-scented now than it was OOB.

My soap is almost 3 weeks along and it's like each week it smells yummier. It's perfect for those of us who absolutely love earl grey teas. I'm still sad I did not get a larger amount of this FO. I love it.

I am so glad I don't have to vote this month. Just putting the survey together; you guys have knocked it out of the park!

Hoping for more entries- hint, hint!

SheLion, I picked your soap in the mold for your picture. Are you okay with that or would you prefer the cut bars?

I am also loving the non-entries. Cthylla you are welcome to post non-entries in here as well. I told Beardguy the same, for those who didn't enter but are participating on the side-lines, waiting to get enough time or entries under their belts. You would get more views if you post in the photo section, 'tis true, but we're happy to see them here as well.

My soap is not setting fast enough and frankly, Since I've never CPOP'd before, I messed up and they are actually a weepy, pretty mess. Needless to say, I'm not entering it since I can't check it just yet.

Soap resized.png

Soap resized 2.png

Last edited:
I would try to clean those up a bit; they may be just fine if you trim about 1/8 of an inch off the backs and, maybe, rinse them off. Lots of times the surfaces don't look that good if the bars got hot but a little scrape or trim and you see the wonders below! Plus, the tops look super cool.

Let them sit a bit. Entries don't close until midnight on Saturday.

Too late now and I don't have a peeler or anything to scrape off anything. They are still oily but at least but not zappy. I just need to note what I did and not make that mistake again.

Too late now and I don't have a peeler or anything to scrape off anything. They are still oily but at least but not zappy. I just need to note what I did and not make that mistake again.

Maybe carefully scrap it with a knife? I have seen people on YouTube do that. You just need to be careful and slowly moving it outwards. ;)

Armira, why too late now? Entries don't close until midnight. You can also take a bar and rub the surfaces under running water. I usually use warm to hot. It doesn't take much to rub the roughness off. The surfaces that touch the mold are always blurry but that layer is very thin and you can wash it off to get to the more defined pattern pretty quickly. I also use a knife to scrape sometimes but I suck at making it level. That's why I prefer to use water.

Cherrycoke, your comment on your entry about making a black orchid soap but not having orchid FO made me laugh. I don't know why but there is something about how you phrased it. I love the color scheme!

Entries close at midnight tonight!

Please enter something that you made, even if you think it's not....whatever. As we've said, it's just about trying and, although we do vote, it's not a hard-core beauty contest but rather a chance to see what people have created. And you know how much we all enjoy looking at soap in any form.

1.) earlene - Fun, and thank you for posting the challenge early!

2.) dibbles - Had to miss last month and happy to be Back in Black

3.) toxikon - Officially hooked on challenges, bring it on!

4.) Mx6inpenn

5.) BattleGnome - almost perfect for the scent combo I was thinking about using

6.) susiefreckleface -

7.) Soapprentice - perfect for my planned oily skin soap.

8.) amd - I have some men's fragrances I've been meaning to soap with.

9.) penelopejane - Isn't orange the new black? Kidding!

10.) Arimara- *groans at penelope*

11.)TwystedPryncess - I finally have time to play!

12) mommycarlson - why not?

13) jules92207 - black is my jam!

14) Artemis - started planning the soap, almost forgot to enter...

15) Stacyspy - good a time as any

16) Snappyllama - I haven't been able to do a challenge in a while so this will be great!

17) doriettefarm - now I have a plan for some discoloring FOs, Dragon's Blood and Pistachio Macaroon I'm talking bout you!

1 SheLion - oooh, my first challenge! So excited.

19) SunRiseArts I love challenges, because I always learn new things!

20) LunaSkye - Doubt I'll win, but I want to challenge myself!

21) SunWolf - Perfect challenge to get me back into the soapy action!

22) Catastrophe - yay, this term is almost over!!!!

23) Krystalbee - got 2kg of AC at xmas, time to crack the seal.

24) mintle - I hope I will make it this time!

25) leilaninoel - I'm game!

26) cherrycoke216 - hope I'll squeeze some time between market and my FIRST SMF challenge!!!

27) Queennikki- Sounds like a lot of fun!

28.) SaltedFig - Soaping quickly is a challenge!

Wow! I didn't think I would make it - I only figured out I could join just before the challenge closed, and then it was Jules post that made me realize I could even give it a try (thanks!). First challenge for me.

Mingle - is that a Rex cat?? I've never seen one in person. While both your cat and soap are stunning, your soap wins the beauty contest

Cherrycoke - it's great to see the bear paw in action again - but mine was from a giz!

Cherrycoke - it's great to see the bear paw in action again - but mine was from a giz!

Glad I didn't get your ID wrong! I admire your works! The elephant, the zebra...you can start a safari/zoo themed soap series. ;) you ROCK!

This is my non-entry soap. I had a volcano-lava-in-action in mind. Like it's moving slowly and flowing. But activated charcoal thicken up on me. Though this was a tomato leaf FO and not a floral.
The picture can't show the melt and pour inside the cold process very well. It was made with yellow,orange,and red color using melt and pour soap.
I aimed for the stained glass look that flowing volcano lava has. Might be my phone that can't show it better. My digital camera lens was broken/shattered by cousin's daughter. Kids... :headbanging:

Drum roll please. This is fail army coming. :p
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1490512705.083617.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1490512731.317824.jpg

Mingle - is that a Rex cat?? I've never seen one in person. While both your cat and soap are stunning, your soap wins the beauty contest
The cat is a Devon Rex indeed :)! We have three cats, all devons - two curly and one with just a little fur. They are very attached to us, their people, smart and mischievous. The orange cat you saw loves to eat fish food and always sniffs around our aquarium, he also loves cakes and tries to steal some whenever I bake. Strange lovely creature :). I am allergic to most animals and found that Devons are the least allergenic for me.

Cherrycoke, your comment on your entry about making a black orchid soap but not having orchid FO made me laugh. I don't know why but there is something about how you phrased it. I love the color scheme!

Thank you! I'm a little FO ho but nothing like everyone here on the brewer George's thread. Hahaha! Or maybe I was being OCD trying to pair it the same. ;)

And you are absolutely right about learning new skill/ technique. We are here to learn and progress. Thus I post my creatures. And thank all of these skilled people here including you post stunning photos so we can drooling over and learn.

/sigh...well piffle. My stupid internet must have eaten my post...it didn't show up on the final entry thread. I had baby goats being born and nursing a sick one, was a bit distracted and remembered at the last minute.

Oh well!! It didn't hold a candle to those that made the survey! You guys ROCK, and made for a tough decision AGAIN!!

This is such wonderful fun! Here's what WAS going to be my entry...:lol:

IMG_2680.JPG

/sigh...well piffle. My stupid internet must have eaten my post...it didn't show up on the final entry thread. I had baby goats being born and nursing a sick one, was a bit distracted and remembered at the last minute.

This is such wonderful fun! Here's what WAS going to be my entry...:lol:

View attachment 24169

I LOVE the black and light pink combo!!! And the brown speckle!

ETA: will it be naughty to ask for the baby goat you help delivered? :bunny:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back