A newbie question!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started, I went down to Target and bought all the oils that sounded good to me. I bought Olive oil, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Sesame Oil, Castor Oil and Lard. Then, I just started throwing them together and using SoapCalc to figure out how much Lye to use.

I eventually read that 5 ingredients was the "magic" number (although I still go crazy sometimes and use 8 or more). I eventually added Shea and Cocoa butters to my line up when I felt I had learned enough to justify the money. I don't use lard anymore. My magic 5 are castor (5-10%), cocoa (5-10%), coconut (25-30%), olive (45-55%) & shea (10%). I do use 45%-55% olive but after reading some posts here, I think I may drop that down and see what happens. I wanted to try and see if I could make mine more bubbly this year.

I use a range of % because sometimes I want to do more intricate swirls and sometimes I want a really hard bar.

Regarding palm oil. I did buy some (7lbs from Soaper's Choice) but I've barely used half. I just don't see what it brings to my soap and it seems to speed up my trace something awful.

Last edited:
Also, in the US, most folks have to mail order their RBO.

I recently found out (and I may be slow to the party) that RBO makes a great fish fry. I found a huge bottle at the Bass Pro Shop near me, advertised as fish fry oil (never tried it). So, if you maybe have a similar outdoorsy shop, I would check it out for RBO if you don't want to wait for shipping.

Lardinators! lol
Edit: Lardinians?

Lardinator- I love it! Well that settles it- at least for me, anyway. I shall be using Lardinator if Serene does not mind. And if not, don't be surprised if I sometimes refer to Susie as being Her Right, Most Honorable, Supreme Lardinator. :mrgreen:

IrishLass :)

Check out restaurant supply stores for RBO. As for palm replacement RBO is not it, it can replace OO but will not result is a bar as hard as one with olive. I like the feel of RBO but I do not like fighting the color of it. It is about $1.00 per lb at my local restaurant supply when purchasing 35# (5 gallon buckets). I always add roe to my buckets of oil when I get them. It it a great antioxidant and only take drops to extend the life of your oils.

Latest posts

Back