A Different Word for Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how about using ingredients you are proud of. educate yourself and others about the wonderful qualities that your soap will have using lard, coconut oil,palm or whatever. if you like the way that your soap comes out with lard, the be proud of the fact you were able to make such a great product with something so many don't even realize is wonderful. if you plan on selling online, then leave room on your page to "state your case" about your use of lard. the same goes if you have a pamphlet. educate your customers. maybe not all of them will feel the same way you feel about a soap but maybe most will.

How about rendered porcine byproduct. ;) I'm kidding btw, I use it and just call it lard. If you're really worried about it, why not offer both kinds of soap, with and without lard.

Hello Everyone,

I just checked in and wow! I couldn't believe the number of postings. Thank you so much for all your help, and this thread really confirms my concern - lots of people out there don't really care for lard. I would still keep on making lard soaps, but more for home use. This would make things less complicated when it comes to marketing my products.

Have a wonderful day,

Melonie

gekko62 said:
I really think the only people you're going to have a problem with are the ones that have problems with everything.No amount of explaining changes some peoples minds. You say lard it's eww animal fat.You say palm they say orangutan killer! silk you're a cruel insect murderer.
I say be loud be proud.If you think your soap is great then others will too! :wink:

i think you're missing the point. in all those things you mentioned the principle is the same. it's not that "those people have a problem", they just have a principle of what they'll use in their cosmetics, and won't use products that brake them.

but your point is ok - everyone creates their own attitudes and standards, and should stand behind them, especially if you're selling it..

my point - it really doesn't matter does your soap contain lard or not, what is important is that you do what you believe is right, and stand behind your decisions.

@ Gekko
You should just respect other peoples wishes; it is their choice how they want to live their lifes. Explain to a vegan hoe good eggs are for you, or to a Jew how delicious pork sandwitches are, and you think they'll start eating them? :wink:
For a lot of people lard is not just animal fat; it is fat of a pig, and pigs are seen as unclean in some relegions. In other religions tallow would be seen as unclean.
Some people might like to go without meat or/and animal by products.
Some people might not want to use palm, other do not want to use soy.
And for your information, Tussah silk is cruelty free :D

That doesn't mean someone from one of these groups has problems with everything. Or that these people have to be a problem. State clearly what you use to produce your product and design the right product for your target market.

dagmar88 said:
@ Gekko
You should just respect other peoples wishes; it is their choice how they want to live their lifes. Explain to a vegan hoe good eggs are for you, or to a Jew how delicious pork sandwitches are, and you think they'll start eating them? :wink:
For a lot of people lard is not just animal fat; it is fat of a pig, and pigs are seen as unclean in some relegions. In other religions tallow would be seen as unclean.
Some people might like to go without meat or/and animal by products.
Some people might not want to use palm, other do not want to use soy.
And for your information, Tussah silk is cruelty free :D

That doesn't mean someone from one of these groups has problems with everything. Or that these people have to be a problem. State clearly what you use to produce your product and design the right product for your target market.

Dagmar,I only meant some people object for the sake of it.They get a mind set where nothings going to change it. Palm will always be destroying orang habitat even if you explain you only use rto palm, I know Tussah is cruelty free,that's what I use,& have had people objecting strenuously anyway saying it kills silkworms. I don't use lard,that's a personal choice,but I 100% support anyone who does.Live and let live.If you use lard in your soap then be proud you use lard in your soap. I think that if you label clearly,& are open & honest about what you use that is all you can do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back