A Different Word for Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you just call it suponified fat?

nope, there again you would be hiding the truth because saponified fat could be anything....beef fat, pig fat, vegetable fat. The only way to list lard is LARD.

There are people who want to avoid certain ingredients in soap for various reasons, as stated above...religious or ethical.

Put yourself in the customers shoes. Would you want the person you were buying from to be COMPLETELY HONEST about the ingredients they were using??? Of course you would. Especially if it was against your religion to use any products with lard in it or if you were vegetarian or vegan.

Instead of hiding the truth try and educate your customers on the ingredients you chose. Why did you choose lard? For me it's because lard makes excellent soap with a creamy lather you just can't duplicate with veggie oils, Lard is similar in fatty acid composition to Olive, I can purchase lard locally which cuts down on costs because I don't have to pay for shipping. Just my 2 cents. :)

I agree, honesty is the best policy, most especially when it comes to an ingredient that is considered off-limits to certain religious groups and highly offensive to many vegan/vegetarians. Heck, some people might even be allergic to it. :shock:

I love my lard soap and actually go out of my way to not hide it. lol Not only is it listed on the back in my ingredients list, I also proudly state that it is made with lard right on the front of my label. :). I figure that if you really like using a certain ingredient, you should be confident of that ingredient and be ever ready to give a reason to those that ask of you why you like it so much.

Why not formulate a 100% veggie soap to offer alongside your lard soap? That's what I do. I make a couple of 100% vegetarian formulas for those who might be offended by animal fats. So far, I haven't run across anyone who is offended by my lard soaps, but it's always good to be prepared.

IrishLass :)

Pork tallow might work. But it sounds no better than lard and the INCI is lard.

It's lard. the inci name is Lard. If you aren't proud of the product you produce and aren't willing to stand behind it, don't use it or don't produce it.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but I'm a celiac - I have to put products down if they're labelled 'food starch' and it could be corn or wheat. It annoys me intensely. To be deliberately lied to? Grounds for a court case.

You do not mess with people's health, nor people's religious beliefs. Just not done!

So either stand behind your product as containing lard or chose a different oil/fat.

Well people LOVe ivory and it has tallow in it, they label it like this sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate or sodium palm kernelate, water, sodium chloride, sodium silicate, magnesium sulfate, and fragrance.

I believe you would call the lard Sodium Lardate, as the makers of Dove, Leaver 200, and Caress do. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Kinda

But the makers of those soaps do combine the purified salts of the fatty acid (sodium tallowate, for example) in the mix to make their soap product whereas we CREATE the salts of fatty acid IN our soap.

so their soap contains sodium tallowate and ours (assuming we use tallow) contains sodium tallowate and tallow and glycerin.

the correct way to label our soaps is by what goes in - tallow + sodium hydroxide.

or in the case of lard: sodium lardate, etc.

dagmar88 said:
aaahw, don't make the sad face! I'm not even allowed to sell lard/tallow soap for human use!
:p

Why is that Dagmar? :? I dont use animal fats but heavens above it's getting a bit bad when yr not even allowed to isn't it?

You know, there is a whole new, young generation out there that wouldn't know what Lard was, if it jumped up and bit them on the behind. :lol: Can you guys get lard from organically raised pigs? Then you can say Organic Lard on the label and the yuppies will go nuts for it.

:lol: Well; as we can eat it/prepare food in it, but it doesn't make it through the safety assesment; I see no apperent reason but Europe likes to tell people what to do...
From what to eat and where it originates from, to what car to drive and where and when, to how to raise your children.

Dagmar, I'm pretty certain that when we lived in holland mum still made suet pastry which definitely has suet in it...Which ok is kidney fat, but I'm pretty sure that was for sale at the time. Granted that was about 12+ years ago. Let me check with her to see where/what brands it was?

The rules for selling soap with animal fats in them are seriously strict in Europe - absurdly so.

You guys are right. So do you think it would be worth it to make vegitable and lard soaps...in case sombody was bothered by lard soap? Or would they still just be upset that I was selling any soap with animal fat in it?

i'm vegetarian, and i don't mind people using animal fat in soap. after all, most people eat meat, and animal fat has to be used up too - it's certainly more ecological to use it, if you're already eating meat. of course, i wouldn't buy soap with animal fat, but would buy your soaps without animal fat - no problem.
it's just my opinion, but everyone is different..

It wouldn't bother me either if you made both. I would check the ingredients and if you had one with lard, I'd avoid it. If you had one without lard, I'd probably buy it.

Call it grandmas old fashioned lard soap, the older people may like it? I dont sell my lard soaps, one of my selling pts is: my soap doesnt have lard like most store bought soaps do. I think you have to be honest. Veg shortening is soybean- not lard.

They don't hide it!

SOAP-1960.jpg

I really think the only people you're going to have a problem with are the ones that have problems with everything.No amount of explaining changes some peoples minds. You say lard it's eww animal fat.You say palm they say orangutan killer! silk you're a cruel insect murderer.
I say be loud be proud.If you think your soap is great then others will too! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back