2 quick questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The soaps I've made for myself are superfatted at 8% because the weather is very dry and made my skin just as dry. I've already started using the first soap I made 2 weeks ago, and it works pretty well. However, we have a water softening system in the house.

Without the softener, our water would be quite hard. How would that
affect an 8% superfatted soap? (with a cleansing level of 15)

Also, I have a friend who wants to try my soap. Since I've been using 2 of my soaps frequently, would it be safe to let her try those batches?

Thanks!

What method did you use to make the soap? If you are CP, I wouldn't use the soap before 4 weeks. If it is HP I would say you are fine.

One of each - CP (2 weeks) HP (1 week).

Is there a safety issue?

I don't care about the short cure in terms of soap softness....I'm the only one using it and so far there's 6lbs to use, and it's already better than store bought.

One of each - CP (2 weeks) HP (1 week).

Is there a safety issue?

I don't care about the short cure in terms of soap softness....I'm the only one using it and so far there's 6lbs to use, and it's already better than store bought.

No, there is not a safety issue of using them early as the saponification in CP soap happens in 24-48 hours. The cure times allows excess water to evaporate and allows the bars to become more mild. It's good to use your soap through the different times periods because it allows you to see a difference.

In regards to the water type, that I can't answer as I am not familiar with those circumstances.

No, there is not a safety issue of using them early as the saponification in CP soap happens in 24-48 hours. The cure times allows excess water to evaporate and allows the bars to become more mild. It's good to use your soap through the different times periods because it allows you to see a difference.

In regards to the water type, that I can't answer as I am not familiar with those circumstances.

Saponification can last up to 72 hrs as mine usually do because I do not gel. At least not very often. Many times, such as my yin & yang they will stay severly zappy until hour 72

Personal bar....you can use in a short amount of time...it will melt fairly fast but once its safe...no zap/ ph in the green....use it to satisfy your curiosity while you wait 3 weeks for the rest of it to cure. Cp...4, cpop....2, hp....1 or longer. Ideally those are the desired cure times....but that first bar....I didn't, and know no one else that did, wait for the full time before trying their very first bar. And on your second bar....you will never use store bought ever again. So welcome to the world of soaping!

I have heard that before; curing makes the soap milder. Why? The saponification process is over, and all that's let is to evaporate the excess water.

Maybe as the bar becomes harder, then less of the soap melts or is used for washing. So...less soap needed to wash.....then skin is exposed to less lauric and myristic acid.....therefore seems more mild? That's my best guess anyway.

Ya if ya want to get all techy? Also...if there's unforseen issues.... like a lye pocket that will be reasorbed.........the time that it needs to do so in included in that time frame.

I disagree with you on that, Peepla. If there are lye pockets in soap, it needs to be rebatched or tossed. They are dangerous and the purpose of cure is not for lye pockets to be resorbed, not at all.

additional cure time helps in all sorts of areas, for example i found recently that scents will "Finish" and become what they will (There are times when you make a batch, and it will smell HORRIBLE, but at the end of cure time, it smells great). then possibilities of good things that can happen at longer cure times are infinite :) (Sort of ) :). I also superfat at 8% and have super hard water with no softener (rental house and poor water quality county wide in general) i find that superfatting that high with my recipes make for a more hydrating bar for me. hope this helps :)

Cp...4, cpop....2, hp....1 or longer. Ideally those are the desired cure times....

People need to experiment with cure times. I'll say generally CP is 4 weeks but I've discovered some of my soap (depending on the ingredients) have actually improved after 6 weeks or even longer. Let's not even discuss castile. :lol:

As for the cure times for CPOP and HP, I also cure those at least 3-4 weeks to ensure water has evaporated and the soap is milder. However, I'm fussy about quality and I like to make sure my soap has reached the optimal stage before giving it out. One of the things soapmaking has taught me is patience. I know positively all of my HP batches aren't cured after only a week. They dissolve quickly at only a week ('cuz I test new recipes); although, I suppose it's possible for some people's HP to be ready after only a week depending on their recipes. However, I sure would be unhappy if I bought soap which dissolved quickly.

@ lenarenee -

There is more than just water evaporation happening over several weeks. There have been informative discussions about cure and the changes which occur during it. You might find these topics helpful but there are a lot more than just these threads.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=35831
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/curing-process-32821/
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=32870
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=7913

I also agree with My Mountain Soaps about fragrances changing over time. I've noticed morphing and fading during curing. It can be frustrating to find out a scent you just love morphs in a few weeks or fades in a month or two. I'm currently in this situation right now with a HP batch I made 2 weeks ago. The scent has altered so much that I keep wavering between 'like', 'don't like', 'like again', 'I can't believe it changed again', 'for crying out loud...is this scent ever going to stop changing?" :lol: It's certainly been an interesting couple of weeks and I guess this is what I get for blending FOs to create a new scent.

I live in Louisiana. We have humidity. We have humidity all year round. I give my soaps longer cure times due to this. I just don't even plan to try them until they are at least 4 weeks old. Usually 6 weeks.

I don't use a dehumidifier to dry my soaps because I cure them in a closet. And my soaps are not going to live anywhere without humidity. So, I may as well start as I mean to go on.

I sometimes try my soaps before the full cure, but I'm never as happy with them as I am after the full 4-6 weeks for CP, though I use HP after 3 or 4 weeks. Personally, I don't give soaps to my friends unless they are fully cured and perfect, as I want them to have the very best impression of my soaps.

I almost exclusively HP, and I always try my soaps right away, with scraps. But IMO the finished cured soap is so much better in every way, not just harder or longer lasting, it is absolutely worth the wait. And... I cure my HP soaps for 8 weeks. They are okay at 2 weeks, better at 4, fine at 6... but even the difference between 6 and 8 weeks is noticeable to me. The lather, the scent, the conditioning, the mildness. Worth it.

As happy as you are with your soaps right now, put them aside a few more weeks and let them reach their full potential!

People need to experiment with cure times. I'll say generally CP is 4 weeks but I've discovered some of my soap (depending on the ingredients) have actually improved after 6 weeks or even longer. Let's not even discuss castile. :lol:

As for the cure times for CPOP and HP, I also cure those at least 3-4 weeks to ensure water has evaporated and the soap is milder. However, I'm fussy about quality and I like to make sure my soap has reached the optimal stage before giving it out. One of the things soapmaking has taught me is patience. I know positively all of my HP batches aren't cured after only a week. They dissolve quickly at only a week ('cuz I test new recipes); although, I suppose it's possible for some people's HP to be ready after only a week depending on their recipes. However, I sure would be unhappy if I bought soap which dissolved quickly.

@ lenarenee -

There is more than just water evaporation happening over several weeks. There have been informative discussions about cure and the changes which occur during it. You might find these topics helpful but there are a lot more than just these threads.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=35831
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/curing-process-32821/
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=32870
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=7913

I also agree with My Mountain Soaps about fragrances changing over time. I've noticed morphing and fading during curing. It can be frustrating to find out a scent you just love morphs in a few weeks or fades in a month or two. I'm currently in this situation right now with a HP batch I made 2 weeks ago. The scent has altered so much that I keep wavering between 'like', 'don't like', 'like again', 'I can't believe it changed again', 'for crying out loud...is this scent ever going to stop changing?" :lol: It's certainly been an interesting couple of weeks and I guess this is what I get for blending FOs to create a new scent.

Thank you everyone for all of your feedback. Hazel, that was a lot of time you spent digging up those threads; I appreciate it - very informative info.

Soaping teaches patience?? I'm glad it was successful for you; I'm waiting to see if it works for me! (so far, not hopeful)

Soaping teaches patience??

It will. Give it a couple of years and several dozen batches and you'll discover you have developed a modicum of patience.

You're welcome about the links. It was actually helpful for me to search because I stumbled over some old posts I'd either forgotten about or never saw.

Latest posts

Back