The PH in my soap is around 10 help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdarArt

Reaction score
Hi there.
I started making soap for myself a couple of months ago.
Today I have checked the PH on my last (the only usable soap). I made it on the 14th October, and the PH is around 10.
How could I prevent the PH from being so high? I would like it to be more around an 8 if possible.

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi there, and welcome to soapmaking!

Contrary to all the stories you may read, true soap must have a pH of approximately 9 or higher. Any lower than 9, and it will stop being soap, i.e., it will break apart into greasy fatty acids and blobs.

Also, measuring pH doesn’t tell you much that is useful for the home soap maker. A high pH doesn’t correlate with being lye-heavy, for instance.

Finally, folks who show their pH strips in YouTube videos are fooling themselves. Those strips are notoriously inaccurate when used for testing soap, especially bc they usually rub the strips right on the soap, or they work up a bit of lather - neither of which is correct.

Hopefully you feel better now and can relax and enjoy your soap. Isn’t it fun to make, and to use? 😊

Hi there, and welcome to soapmaking!

Contrary to all the stories you may read, true soap must have a pH of approximately 9 or higher. Any lower than 9, and it will stop being soap, i.e., it will break apart into greasy fatty acids and blobs.

Also, measuring pH doesn’t tell you much that is useful for the home soap maker. A high pH doesn’t correlate with being lye-heavy, for instance.

Finally, folks who show their pH strips in YouTube videos are fooling themselves. Those strips are notoriously inaccurate when used for testing soap, especially bc they usually rub the strips right on the soap, or they work up a bit of lather - neither of which is correct.

Hopefully you feel better now and can relax and enjoy your soap. Isn’t it fun to make, and to use? 😊
Ohh thank you so much!
I must say I was starting to freak out, and was holding off on making a new batch today, but now I feel much more confident, so thank you very much for your response!

Definitely, I actually made another post regarding the recipe I was looking to make.
I found the one I made previously to be kind of drying on my skin and wanted something that doesn't leave me feeling stiff!

Can't wait to get it going!!
🥳

Latest posts

Back