spices and texture

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renaissancemom

Reaction score
some of you mentioned that cinnoman can cause scrubbies, would this be considered a sort of exfollient like oatmeal or cornmeal? do other spices like paprika or cayenne pepper also contribute a scrubby feeling or do they disolve in the saponified mixture? i am looking for color additives but not texture...on another note do lavendar pieces in soap stay purple or do they change color?

I don't like the way whole lavender buds look in soap. They look like dead flies.

I chop lavender up to put it in soap, and it does turn brown.

Spices will not dissolve into your soap, but be careful which ones you use. I've heard many on here say that cinnamon can irritate certain skin types.

Cinnamon can actually burn parts of the anatomy that one definitely does not want burnt.

Clove gives color if you mix it in or you can add it at the last stage and have it ribboned through. Paprika stinks so I don't use it. Nutmeg is lighter than clove. Tumeric gives anywhere from orange to brown depending on how much is used. Lemon powder turn reddish after a week or so. Cocoa in small amounts looks nice.
I find where I add last and don't mix in because I like the ribbon look, it adds texture or a little drag but is not really exfolliating.

Lavender buds mixed in the soap look like mouse droppings...lol. It's better sprinkled on top or something but even then, it'll brown slightly. I think (jump in here if I'm wrong, people) that the only herbs and botanicals that will keep from turning brown are parsley and calendula petals.

Do a search in the forum for natural colorants. Surf Girl did an AWESOME pictorial...(sorry I don't have the link for ya)

maria, i actually used paprika in a soap with lemon and lavender EO and all i smell are the EO's not even a hint of the paprika. i haven't used the soap yet, it's only cured about 3 weeks, but as soon as i test it (hopefully within the next few days) i will post whether it had a paprika smell.

i used paprika in a soap recently and didn't have any odor of paprika that i could detect...my husband says i have the nose of a blood hound....but i went light on the paprika too.

i love the smell of lavendar buds and darn......now that i look at my soap....well they do look like mouse stuff.....oh well. better to use the eo i guess. i like calendula petals too....so pretty. dried parsley sounds nice...

i made some carrot soup tonite and the first thing i thought of.....is i wonder how this will soap?

I've used paprika fairly frequently, and it does have little scratchy bits. When I used it at 1 tsp ppo to colour the entire batch (as opposed to swirling), I found the soap to be annoyingly scratchy. But then, I like soap to be either dead smooth, or nubby like oatmeal. Scratchy, I don't like. (I also find activated charcoal to be a bit scratchy, so I may just be a sensitive, irritable person. Actually, I guess mr surf girl would say "oversensitive" and "irritable" describe me to a T). I only notice a little red pepper smell from paprika if I use it in unscented soap, but it's not a strong smell.

Cocoa powder does not seem scratchy to me, nor does yellow dock. Actually, come to think of it, I notice a bit of drag with the cocoa powder if I use it for a fine dark line between soap layers. Stevia powder can be a bit scratchy. I haven't used my soaps coloured with tumeric, curry powder, elderberry, or rosehip. I should give them a go and let you know.

(Oh, and the colorant thread is listed in the photo gallery under something like "colorant experiment").

Maybe I should try a different bottle of paprika. The last time I used it I wanted the soap to be orange colored and used a teaspoon per pound of oil. The smell overpowered the scent of the soap and stunk up my kitchen.

I've made peppermint soaps with mint leaves that stayed green when I soaped no higher than 100°. Some of them will turn brown as the soap ages but for the most part they stay green.

I used lavender that had somewhat dried on the plant, then I chopped it in a food processor and made a tea with it and my lye solution...only a little bit, tho. Then I made my soap and when I cut it I pressed some of the lavender buds into the sides, like so:

I'm waiting to see if it turns brown or falls off as it cures. Who knows what will happen? LOL

And I have used Turmeric, but nothing else really besides cocoa powder to color. But there's how I got around the dead fly/mouse dropping dilemma. lol

Back