Pain relief/arthritis cream copy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derpina Bubbles

Reaction score
My sister asked me if I could try and replicate a cream that's popular here in Oz for pain relief and arthritis called Painaway. I figured why not? At the very least we'd have a lovely moisturizing cream.

She uses copious amounts of the goop and at around $20 for 70grams she wanted a cheaper option. She loves the stuff, swears by it. I've tried it and thought it was a lovely herbal cream but I'm the sceptic from hell.

So I checked out the ingredients. Did some maths. Tossed the calculator across the room because I suck at maths. Re-did my maths. Had 2 family members check my maths. Realised that suckage at maths is a genetic trait so had a non family member fix and finalise all the maths.

Made some **** cream.

The arthritis and sports pain relief cream had the same active ingredients listed. I upped the emu oil because they used it at 2%*coughs bad math*. I went for 10%. Again, I figure I might as well end up with a snazzy moisturizer out of this.

To get the arnica in the cream that was listed I made a strong vegetable glycerine tincture. They also include rosemary and sandalwood. The other ingredients are fairly standard for cream. Basically used what I have on hand so it's a different base to the real stuff. So if it doesn't work for pain I guess I can blame that.

The emu oil made for a nice thick cream which goes a long way. Got a bunch of folks trying it so will get feedback over the next week. I'm going to attack the 1st person I see in the household with a bruise and put cream on half the bruise and test the arnica lol. I swear I will not give a bruise on purpose. Genetics will again come into play without keeping me waiting and one of us will walk into a shut door or trip over an invisible edge or something momentarily. We have both a lack of skill with math and poor coordination on tap.

I'm not making these trying to sell them btw, we're just a bunch of cheapos. Each pot cost me $4.35 (including the pot) and they hold 100g. Bargain. Now I'll shimmy back to the world of soap making.

Lol! I love your posts Derpina! I'd like to know how your cream works out. I'm a great one for getting bruises (and breaking my little toes) because I don't look where I'm going- you can try your cream out on me :)
Cheers!
Anna Marie

That is expensive stuff and it looks like the main percentage of the cost would be for marketing.
Emu oil looks like to be the carrier oil, then the next highest % is Rosemary, then Arnica. So Rosemary helps with the pain of arthritis, rheumatism and muscular pain and the arnica for the bruising.

Might have to give it a go and make some. I love Arnica for bruising, it's always in the cupboard, so might have to get some Rosemary and go wrangle an emu :-D.

I'll keep you posted AnnaMarie:grin:. Ouch, your poor toes. My Hubby does the broken toe thing, walking into furniture all the time. I've never broken a bone yet so having put that down officially in text now I should break one any ole second. So far no accidents or pain reported in the household so I haven't been able to test it. I may have scared everyone off though by pouncing on them as they came home to ask if they had any pain while wearing disposable gloves and holding an unmarked mysterious white pot.

*Relle - Yeah, I figured the ingredients made it look worth a try. It smells awesome but I'm partial to the smell of rosemary. There is also a spray they make which has eucalyptus in it too. If you wrangle that emu and make some let us know how it goes.

I'm going to try and make these for myself. I have a bad S.I. joint and it causes pain and inflammation. It has come and gone since I was about 25. Around 30, it never went away and I have been in pain every day for almost a year and a half. Well recently I began using powdered collagen (from Great Lakes Gelatin company) and it has been an absolute MIRACLE! My pain quickly disappeared and has been gone for a few months now. If I forget to drink it (I put it in tea, you don't even taste it), I really feel it. Both my parents and my grandma now drink it and my uncle gives it to his old arthritic dog. The stuff is amazing! Its also really good for your skin, hair, nails and even helps smooth out cellulite :D By the way, the reason I use this company is because the collagen is from 100% pastured, grass-fed cows. I'm not affiliated with them, I just like to pass this info on because I know it would help a lot of people.

KatieNK,

Do you know how your uncle feeds the gelatin to the dog? I'd like to try that with my very old kitty. My very old....picky....kitty who spits out her medicine no matter how hard I hide it!! She can eat every scrap of treat that clings to the hidden tablet but leave the med untouched.

She's a very sweet, affectionate cat but more stubborn than a mule!

I'm interested to hear how your pain cream turns out. It seems like either DH or I are always in pain from something and I swear I bruise if you look at me wrong.

Katie - Thanks for the hint about the powdered collagen! I should give that a try for pain and because my nails are so bendy that I can't grow them long.

Cool project, Derpina! Is this stuff what you're trying to dupe? http://www.painaway.com.au/ I figure with the Aussie flag it probably is, but just want to doublecheck.

Yep, that's the one.

I'm going to try and make these for myself. I have a bad S.I. joint and it causes pain and inflammation. It has come and gone since I was about 25. Around 30, it never went away and I have been in pain every day for almost a year and a half. Well recently I began using powdered collagen (from Great Lakes Gelatin company) and it has been an absolute MIRACLE! My pain quickly disappeared and has been gone for a few months now. If I forget to drink it (I put it in tea, you don't even taste it), I really feel it. Both my parents and my grandma now drink it and my uncle gives it to his old arthritic dog. The stuff is amazing! Its also really good for your skin, hair, nails and even helps smooth out cellulite :D By the way, the reason I use this company is because the collagen is from 100% pastured, grass-fed cows. I'm not affiliated with them, I just like to pass this info on because I know it would help a lot of people.

That stuff sounds good! I think my knees would like it, thanks for that!

I recommend peppermint EO for pain, both joints and muscular. It works as a natural muscle relaxer.

That could be a good swap out for one of the EO's in the cream :think:. Plus it would smell awesome for those that hate the smell of rosemary.

I'm interested to hear how your pain cream turns out. It seems like either DH or I are always in pain from something and I swear I bruise if you look at me wrong.

Well early reports are good for pain relief (no bruises to test on yet). One tester used it on his daughter who was complaining her arm hurt. She stopped complaining after and hasn't since but kids will do that lol.

My sister used it on her sore feet last night and loved it. Said it gave her instant relief. That could have been because her hubby was rubbing cream into her feet though while she was relaxing on her lounge watching TV, sipping coffee and nibbling a chocolate.

I tried it on my lower back and got instant relief. Which made me so suspicious. My brain is screaming placebo effect at me.

So I made a decision last night. I'm going to make a placebo batch and send some of those out into the wild as well as a few more of the real batch. Then I shall feel better when I get feedback. Not sure how I can trick myself with a placebo jar and trial this on myself. Maybe leave 2 unlabelled jars, one with just a black dot on the bottom. Use a random jar each time, write down the results, then check for a dot. Will have to get the kids to shuffle the jars for me each time. I'll work it out :think:

I was thinking the same thing about the placebo effect, but either way if it's your brain telling you the cream works even if its not the right one, that's OK. Let us know how it works out.

Jencat, I recommended the collagen to my mom because her nails are really brittle but she read it takes a year for your your nails to get healthy again, I dont know if that is true but she is trying it! Her hip pain is already better.

lenarenee, he just sprinkles it on his food and mixes it in. It comes powdered, in a canister.

Lin, I use peppermint EO in my massage oil that I make (and then make DH rub my back with lol), it does feel good but it was never gave permanent relief, just a temporary quick fix. The collagen has been so wonderful, its really weird to wake up not in pain anymore! :)

I once had in incident while working on a container ship involving my back blown out due to sciatica, an insane Russian captain, and a tube of ointment written all in German with a bee on the label. He found me gimping about, pinned me down and rubbed it into me. Damned if I wasn't better in the morning. Always wondered what was in it.

Peppermint, camphor, ginger, clove , rosemary arnika infused olive oil (olive oil is a genius for arthritis) that is kind of mine salve for arthritis, helps also for nerve pressure pain, for my bulging disks in lower back, for knee pain :)) I got all kind of pain. Ladies if you have any idea what is good for it , give me some info,
Do not forget boswellia :))

I am drinking the gelatin for over a month and the result are short of miracle, incredible, ;)

I was thinking the same thing about the placebo effect, but either way if it's your brain telling you the cream works even if its not the right one, that's OK. Let us know how it works out.

Will do.

I once had in incident while working on a container ship involving my back blown out due to sciatica, an insane Russian captain, and a tube of ointment written all in German with a bee on the label. He found me gimping about, pinned me down and rubbed it into me. Damned if I wasn't better in the morning. Always wondered what was in it.

Maybe it was shock that cured you. I mean :Kitten Love:

Peppermint, camphor, ginger, clove , rosemary arnika infused olive oil (olive oil is a genius for arthritis) that is kind of mine salve for arthritis, helps also for nerve pressure pain, for my bulging disks in lower back, for knee pain :)) I got all kind of pain. Ladies if you have any idea what is good for it , give me some info,
Do not forget boswellia :))

I am drinking the gelatin for over a month and the result are short of miracle, incredible, ;)

I had to Google boswellia. Never heard of it before. Very interesting!

Unfortunately I have chronic pain due to a genetic disorder, so permanent relief from pain isn't something I'm familiar with! But at one time or another I think I've tried everything. What works for one problem doesn't necessarily work for another, and of course what works for one person with one problem doesn't work for the next with the same problem ;)

Unfortunately I have chronic pain due to a genetic disorder, so permanent relief from pain isn't something I'm familiar with! But at one time or another I think I've tried everything. What works for one problem doesn't necessarily work for another, and of course what works for one person with one problem doesn't work for the next with the same problem ;)

That's so true. Plus sometimes you find something that works but then your body gets used to it and it doesn't work for you anymore :x

That's so true. Plus sometimes you find something that works but then your body gets used to it and it doesn't work for you anymore :x

very true. this applies esp to skincare for me. i've swapped dermatologists a few times already. once it worked so great, but then after a year, my skin stopped responding. it's like i'm immune to the creams who used to work for me. i hate my face at the moment, nothing seems to work!

btw, that is awesome about the cream derpina! never made creams/lotions before. i do have some emu oil that i got while i was in oz. a very small bottle. not cheap that one, grrrr...

very true. this applies esp to skincare for me. i've swapped dermatologists a few times already. once it worked so great, but then after a year, my skin stopped responding. it's like i'm immune to the creams who used to work for me. i hate my face at the moment, nothing seems to work!

btw, that is awesome about the cream derpina! never made creams/lotions before. i do have some emu oil that i got while i was in oz. a very small bottle. not cheap that one, grrrr...

You should give it a shot! Use up the expensive emu oil. I have a basic cream recipe you can use. I bet you already have the ingredients. You could make it standing on your head. I make a batch of cream or body butter a few times a year and manage to supply all my friends and family. So much cheaper and really nice stuff.

*I made the placebo batch and selected my victims yesterday. The chosen ones are all smaller then me naturally because I might cop a few whacks when they find out. Of course I'll have the cream to rub on my bruises, so all cool.

Didn't wrangle an emu but at $60 for 500ml, that's an expensive oil, so not going to buy that.

Latest posts

Back