EU regulations - help needed!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yill

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

How is this new soaping year starting out for you?
I've been making soap for about a year now and at this point I'm giving everything to friends and family. I would love to go to some fairs and markets, but in the EU you cannot sell anything without having your soap recipes assessed. I'm looking for someone who has experience in having this done within the EU and who can tell me what I can expect and where I can find a good cosmetic chemist.

Thanks all!

There is a post in the business forum (http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=41483) where a few of us are looking at it.

Twiggy seems to be further along than I, so maybe we can all work through it together.

I'm a long way off selling, but it seems like I need to get the ball rolling on this and by the time it's all sorted, I'll be a grey(er) haired old(er) man than I am now

Hi everyone,

How is this new soaping year starting out for you?
I've been making soap for about a year now and at this point I'm giving everything to friends and family. I would love to go to some fairs and markets, but in the EU you cannot sell anything without having your soap recipes assessed. I'm looking for someone who has experience in having this done within the EU and who can tell me what I can expect and where I can find a good cosmetic chemist.

Thanks all!

People will not share easily such information, as is quite pricy to get them by going through the whole thing with offices and assessment… Very important is from which country r u? In some EU countries is soooooooo much easier than in others…

Me and Efficacious Gentleman are less lucky with regulation in our countries than for exaple people who lives in UK :evil: ;)

Thanks both for your reply!
Why not share any information if you can help another soaper? I would love to share any info I have, after all we are 1 big soaping family! We learn from eachother share our successes and failures. But maybe that's just my nature ;-)

I live in the Netherlands and making soap is not really big there. So I'm trying to find my information on the internet but it's really confusing sometimes. I mean the regulations should apply for every country in the EU right? Then why does it seem that the rules are different (or applied different) in every other country?

Thanks again and I will check the business page!

I'm researching all this at the moment too, I will happily share what I know as soon as I am confident that I know what I'm talking about!

That’s very good question! In Germany the whole process is very difficult, for example, here I will have to arrange a special kitchen only for my manufacture purposes. So extra room, renovated, kitchen furniture, equipment, running water and so on… In UK you can use your own kitchen to produce your soaps and toiletry stuff. It is a big think if u need to invest in whole new kitchen with running water system! I have heard that Nederlands are the toughs country to get the permission to produce soap at home – pls don’t be discouraged I’m not sure if is true. But I think you should contact food safety office in your area, they will guide you further. Pls keep us informed how it is going! :) GOOD LUCK!

In the UK we have a regulatory body called Trading Standards who you can contact for advice on how to comply with the regulations. Is there anything similar in the Netherlands that you could contact for advice?

Why not share any information if you can help another soaper? I would love to share any info I have, after all we are 1 big soaping family! We learn from eachother share our successes and failures. But maybe that's just my nature ;-)

Yea, I also don’t quite understand, as it so much hassle that who is not determined enough will drop the whole idea on the beginning, who is intent to go for it will find the info anyway, so why not help? Competition? It will grow you will tell or not… O well – nothing we can do on this matter :)

In the UK we have a regulatory body called Trading Standards who you can contact for advice on how to comply with the regulations. Is there anything similar in the Netherlands that you could contact for advice?
O, how brillant! I was always saying the UK is a country for people who want work, and run own business!

Out of interest, Twiggy, why does it have to be another kitchen? I have a cellar with a sink with water and electricity to run my slow cooker for HP soap, plus a window to open for air when I need to. Could I technically do it there?

Washing up would be in the kitchen up stairs, but then that is just washing up.................

Back