Why don't my colors ever turn out???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavender.dreams.candles

Reaction score
I tried my luck at layering 4 different colors and they turned out AWESOME, but, not like they were suppose to.

Colors are suppose to be from the bottom.... blue, yellow, red, green.

they turned out.... picture doesn't really show the full coloring....
from bottom....
purplish pink w/blue blotches, yellow, orangish red, dark burgandy.

the FO's used- Wild Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Honeydew Melon.....They smell awesome.

Let me know what I can do to make my colors work, please!!
0729200907360.jpg

0729200907380.jpg

There are a lot of variables that could keep you from getting the colors you want. Even yur FO's

Experiment with small batches and when you find something that works RIGHT it down!!

One thing I do is use T.D. in most of my soaps. It doesn't always help but it does a lot. Starting with a white base helps me get a truer color, unless the FO's want to take over :(

And sometimes you never know why your pretty blue turned orange:)

High Ph Lab colors are the easiest to work with.

I do like the way these turned out,but, everytime I try to color with green .... my green turns red or dark burgandy or even terra cotta color.....I have yet to see my green be green. :cry:

I'm a newbie and used high ph lab colors from brambleberry...I also used titanium dioxide...mine were hp added before cook, so my teal looked light green but cooked up a beatiful blue.

Maybe they were colors for m&P soap, not for high pH soap like CP. The lye will change the color. Blue will normally turn a sort of pink if that's the case. Yellow is usually yellow. Also the base color of your soap affects the final color, which is why some people add titanium dioxide first to whiten the soap and then color. I bought green liquid color specifically for CP soap and it's green.

I love the high ph labcolors too . I also love chromium green oxide to get a wide range of greens . I find that oxides and ultramarines give me truer colors in my soap that has an FO with vanilla in it .

HTH

Kitn

ok, well, I've tried to make some now with titanium dioxide in my light trace and then divided into three measuring cups and added purple dye in one , yellow dye in the other and then left the third one white.
Hopefully when I go to get the soap out of the mold it will be all pretty.
I'll let you know and post the pictures .

I agree with Millia - they are probably not designed to be stable at high pH, and thus not stable in CP soap.

So you can either learn to work with them (they might fade, though, or contue to morph), or better yet get thee some CP soap colorants.

carebear said:
I agree with Millia - they are probably not designed to be stable at high pH, and thus not stable in CP soap.

So you can either learn to work with them (they might fade, though, or contue to morph), or better yet get thee some CP soap colorants.

I have a bunch of m&p JoAnn colors not designed for CP soap that I use while I get CP colors. I did my yellow and pink funnel swirl with yellow and red colors and it still looks the same. They do bleed in the shower but that's fine with me. Washes right out. I like trying to figure out what color will be what after my soap gels. I've mixed colors too and have gotten a beautiful dark purple once. I hope your new batch turns out!

lavender.dreams.candles said:
ok, well, I've tried to make some now with titanium dioxide in my light trace and then divided into three measuring cups and added purple dye in one , yellow dye in the other and then left the third one white.
Hopefully when I go to get the soap out of the mold it will be all pretty.
I'll let you know and post the pictures .

I can't wait to hear back from you to see how your soap turned out!!:)

You can also use up those colorants in some HP soap and they will most likely stay true. But I agree with Carebear and the rest.....get thee some true CP colors from a reputable supplier. :)

Latest posts

Back