What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:Kitten Love::Kitten Love::Kitten Love::Kitten Love: Wow, are you serious???

Yup.

We had a hugely successful fall show season. The last one is this weekend. I needed to get ahead on my 4 biggest sellers. We should find out any day about entry into a new show this summer.

Sliced my Menta Y Rosa Javon. Umm It smells so good. Working on stamping, making labels (grrr) and cleaning my disaster from last night. I dare not share photos. :Kitten Love::crazy:

MintAndRoseSoap.jpg

Would you care to share the recipe for Gennys shampoo bar?:-o
This is from her posting on Facebook:

Avocado Oil: 30%
Castor Oil: 10%
Olive Oil: 40%
Shea Butter: 10%
Soybean Oil: 10%

Although I no longer use soybean oil & have replaced it with 15% rice bran oil and dropped the shea butter down to 5%.

It's very conditioning, but I still use an apple cider vinegar rinse after washing. I use 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of warm water. I work that into my hair and then rinse.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I used the rest of my Lye up today. (Tomorrow, I'll go get more).

Made just 1/2 batches of my regular recipe:
Dragons Blood - which I ammend my previous statements - totally accelerates.
Patchouli - MY personal favourite.
Rosehip - My Unicorn soap. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Today it worked (YAY!)
Unscented Castile.

Cut my soaps from yesterday:
Star Anise & Lavender (Oh my, smells kind of manly - I like it!)
and Sweetgrass - wish I had of swirled more, but that's okay. The two greens are kind of chunky looking and whatever - it's going to wash the same so...

My post should be titled "What absent-minded soapy things did you do today?" This is the time of year I get a little slap happy from having made batch after batch after......but still, I was a little surprised when I took a batch of avocado face soap out of the mold and looked at it. What the......it was all wonky! I must have placed the mold down on something uneven, and the bars look like you could toboggan down them! So then.....I was making another batch and had a bit left over. I always have some small molds on hand in case that happens, so I grabbed for one of my Crystal Lite containers to make some round soaps and WHY IS SOAP ALL OVER MY COUNTER?????? Well, that's what happens when there's no bottom on the Crystal Lite container. LOL Luckily, there were only a few ounces to spill. Obviously, I need some sleep and a break from soaping. Thankfully, that was my last batch.....wheeeeeee! Now, it's time to wrap while I catch up on Game of Thrones, with a hot cup of Nutella cocoa. Mmmmmmmm.

My post should be titled "What absent-minded soapy things did you do today?" This is the time of year I get a little slap happy from having made batch after batch after......but still, I was a little surprised when I took a batch of avocado face soap out of the mold and looked at it. What the......it was all wonky! I must have placed the mold down on something uneven, and the bars look like you could toboggan down them! So then.....I was making another batch and had a bit left over. I always have some small molds on hand in case that happens, so I grabbed for one of my Crystal Lite containers to make some round soaps and WHY IS SOAP ALL OVER MY COUNTER?????? Well, that's what happens when there's no bottom on the Crystal Lite container. LOL Luckily, there were only a few ounces to spill. Obviously, I need some sleep and a break from soaping. Thankfully, that was my last batch.....wheeeeeee! Now, it's time to wrap while I catch up on Game of Thrones, with a hot cup of Nutella cocoa. Mmmmmmmm.
LOL! Reminds me of the first time I used my Willow Way tube mold - poured the soap in and then proceeded to pick it up without holding the base. You should have hears the screams - maybe you did - 38 ounces of raw soap batter all over the floor.....

Still have weeks to go with curing my first batch of CP soap, so this morning I made a hanger tool Luckily I had a very old wire hanger that is quite a bit thicker that the newer ones. It took a while to take it apart and re-bend it. So now, I have a commercial one for my bigger loaf mold, and this smaller one for the smaller mold.

I also did two re-designs of a lard based CP recipe posted yesterday on another thread. I'll spend a bit of time this morning still working on a low, or no palm oil, slow to trace recipe.

June

So here's the Star Anise & Lavender Soap that hubby requested - for some reason he's had it in his head that that's a good scent combo - and it is nice. It smells kind of manly ish... Midnight Black Clay and Alkanet Root (which I love for varrying degrees of purple).

And the Unicorn Soap aka. Rosehip. That always seems to work differently for me.....Sometimes it's beautiful and other times its.....not so much. (It's the **** clove oil.....accelerates it wayyy too fast..). And this is the Unicorn soap, because when hubby and I met, he had a few bars of this gorgeous smelling Rosehip soap that filled the house whenever he showered with it. I love it, scent-association and all that..

Anywho... made with 100% Rosewater this time, and ground Rosehips from my mom's neighbours yard.

So on the left is the last batch I did - that started to set up before I could swirl - set up in the pot and had to keep stirring and glopping at it, which is why it looks like a HP (don't mind the bar, it's my end piece). Obviously I just HAD to do another batch - and one solid colour - no trying to swirl (though I always think every time that it's possible). Colour first, scent second. No swirls.

ETA: Hubby just stopped home for Lunch from work (still driving my truck until insurance decides what to do with his work truck), and brought with him some Lye for me! Am I lucky or what? I shall soap now... because that's what I want to do.

anise lav.jpg

Unicorn.jpg

Last edited:
LOL! Reminds me of the first time I used my Willow Way tube mold - poured the soap in and then proceeded to pick it up without holding the base. You should have hears the screams - maybe you did - 38 ounces of raw soap batter all over the floor.....

38 ounces? Ouch, that hurts! I hate to waste expensive ingredients. I can gift the soap to a friend who won't mind what it looks like. But 38 ounces on the floor..... I would have sat down and cried. Wah!

Thank you !

Now in other news..........

Mucho freaking respecto for all you talented, patient, loving people who manage a piping bag on a regular basis. Serious all the respect guys. Because I don't think I will EVER do that again.

So my mother in law loves Japanese cherry blossom. It's her favourite. So for Christmas I thought I'd make her a nice soap with a piped top.

I don't think I've ever touched more seized raw soap, messed around with a piping tip, and had more of a disastrous evening than tonight.

Either I wasn't meant to soap tonight, or, piping just isn't for me.

After the first bit of batter seized I smoooooshled it into moulds. Bit was still left with a soap that needed a good inch or two of top.

So, I sacrificed the other batter I had ready to be soaped, and tinted it pink with red clay, poured that fragrance oil, stirred and literally sat and watched it until it got to the right consistency for Piping. Then I rushed my pants off and pipped the top. Just as I was finishing the little bit in the pot seized right up. Managed to get two layers. Now whether that top sticks to the first layer I'll know tomorrow......

This whole ordeal took me nearly 2 hours from start to finish.

Then I thought that since I had my oils ready for salt soap, I'd get that done.

Also seizure. So also smooshed into mould, followed by a minor volcano where I threw my hands up and said f*** it. Obviously with a smile because what else can you do?

So, hopefully things turn out better on the inside than they look on the outside. And I'm done for the night. That's it. All done. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1416627494.014119.jpg

Thank you !

Now in other news..........

Mucho freaking respecto for all you talented, patient, loving people who manage a piping bag on a regular basis. Serious all the respect guys. Because I don't think I will EVER do that again.

So my mother in law loves Japanese cherry blossom. It's her favourite. So for Christmas I thought I'd make her a nice soap with a piped top.

I don't think I've ever touched more seized raw soap, messed around with a piping tip, and had more of a disastrous evening than tonight.

Either I wasn't meant to soap tonight, or, piping just isn't for me.

After the first bit of batter seized I smoooooshled it into moulds. Bit was still left with a soap that needed a good inch or two of top.

So, I sacrificed the other batter I had ready to be soaped, and tinted it pink with red clay, poured that fragrance oil, stirred and literally sat and watched it until it got to the right consistency for Piping. Then I rushed my pants off and pipped the top. Just as I was finishing the little bit in the pot seized right up. Managed to get two layers. Now whether that top sticks to the first layer I'll know tomorrow......

This whole ordeal took me nearly 2 hours from start to finish.

Then I thought that since I had my oils ready for salt soap, I'd get that done.

Also seizure. So also smooshed into mould, followed by a minor volcano where I threw my hands up and said f*** it. Obviously with a smile because what else can you do?

So, hopefully things turn out better on the inside than they look on the outside. And I'm done for the night. That's it. All done. View attachment 10699

OMG, it's just beautiful!

Today, I am planning on making a tangerine and grapefruit scented soap that has lots of embeds. Fiddly thing to make but it smells scrumptious.

Latest posts

Back