What is the weirdest thing you've put in soap ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it’s quite common, but what I think of as the weirdest ingredient I’ve used so far is spirulina which is “cyanobacteria” and I wouldn’t have thought bacteria could be an ingredient in soap!
I hadn't thought of it from that angle ~ the "organic greens" powder I've been using to boost green color has spirulina in it, along with other greens like spinach, moringa, even broccoli, among other greens 😄

There would be no way I could sell this given that the purpose (to fight odor, restore pH balance, tighten skin, fight bad bacteria and even reduce inflammation) of said soap would require me to licensed by the FDA and that's a road I have no intention of traveling.

I know that milk is supposed to be milk...cow, goat, camel, donkey, etc, but there is something about using human milk that is a bit unsettling for me. And as you describe it, smacks a bit of being a fad.
I haven't compared ALL yoni soaps, but when I first saw yoni soaps I started reading labels out of curiosity (I know what yoni is, but what makes a soap a yoni soap?). The first few I looked at were literally just coconut oil soap ~ why would anyone do that to their yoni?! 😱 It's such a drying soap! Then I found a few with minor amounts of moisturizing butters added and/or made with milks but still mostly coconut oil 😳 Now, I'm no Dr but I do know that you should never mess with the delicate balance of natural moisture down below and soap should never enter the blessed yoni so why is there even yoni soap?! Soap is soap ~ just wash yo'self! 🤣🤣🤣 Ok, rant over ~ proceed with the main topic 🙄🤷🏼‍♀️😁

I make a coffee soap. First batch went in the trash because I used regular ground coffee. It was like 80 grit sandpaper. Now I use espresso ground coffee with no issues and lots of positive feedback from customers (and my wife).
I didn't realize it would be different ~ I have wondered about a chocolate coffee combo just for fun 😄

I make a coffee soap. First batch went in the trash because I used regular ground coffee. It was like 80 grit sandpaper. Now I use espresso ground coffee with no issues and lots of positive feedback from customers (and my wife).
You can use regular ground coffee, just make sure you have already made coffee with it. With that said, I would not recommend ANY exfoliating soap being used on lady (or man) bits.

Definitely no exfoliating the nether regions! 🤣
I just had a conversation with a soap maker out of Canada who has just started posting videos. He made a gorgeous Gingerbread Soap and decided to include real ginger. While probably not as bad as adding real cinnamon, I cautioned him about using ANY spices in soap without thorough research and invited him to the forum.

I just had a conversation with a soap maker out of Canada who has just started posting videos. He made a gorgeous Gingerbread Soap and decided to include real ginger. While probably not as bad as adding real cinnamon, I cautioned him about using ANY spices in soap without thorough research and invited him to the forum.
I do love ginger but it can pack some heat ~ I guess it depends on how he incorporates it into the soap 🤷🏼‍♀️ but I agree, joining the forum would be a good idea and he might get a kick out of the conversations! 🤣

In my younger years I worked for a horse trainer. One of the illegal things they did was mix ginger powder and Vaseline and inserted it in the horses’ rear. It made them animated- no kidding. That was one of the many things that turned me off to showing. I can’t even use scented soap on my lady bits. The thought of ginger makes me cringe. 😬

I do make coffee soap. Last summer I made a soap scented with orange EO and added a tea called Bengal Spice. The tea seemed to help with scent retention of the orange eo and it provided a lovely spicy chai fragrance. It is one of my favorites. Next batch I will pulverize the tea in a coffee grinder. It’s not any more exfoliating than my coffee soap but for some reason I just feel the tea should be powdered.
I know those are both pretty tame compared to some.

You can use regular ground coffee, just make sure you have already made coffee with it. With that said, I would not recommend ANY exfoliating soap being used on lady (or man) bits.
I haven't tried using ground coffee that has been used to make regular (drinkable) coffee before. Instead, I brew the coffee in the olive oil first. Then mix it into the other oils before adding the lye. Also, you're absolutely right about not using it on the most delicate bits.

Hearing about yoni soap explains why several of my patients came with issues and stated they used a soap specifically for that area. I had no idea there was a yoni soap.
Yep ~ and I'm sure some even have EOs or FOs all in the name of keeping it fresh but people just don't realize you shouldn't use that stuff down there 🙅🏼‍♀️🙅🏼‍♀️🙅🏼‍♀️

In my younger years I worked for a horse trainer. One of the illegal things they did was mix ginger powder and Vaseline and inserted it in the horses’ rear. It made them animated- no kidding. That was one of the many things that turned me off to showing. I can’t even use scented soap on my lady bits. The thought of ginger makes me cringe. 😬
I heard that's what they did to my horse's sire. What they do to horses is unreal and makes me so angry.

I haven't tried using ground coffee that has been used to make regular (drinkable) coffee before. Instead, I brew the coffee in the olive oil first. Then mix it into the other oils before adding the lye. Also, you're absolutely right about not using it on the most delicate bits.
Steeping coffee grounds in oil isn't going to soften the coffee grounds

Breast milk soap is a thing, esp custom soap with one’s own milk to wash one’s own baby.

I’ve had no requests so far, but I would make it if someone requested it and provided their own breast milk for that purpose. Milk is milk, IMO. So breast milk in soap doesn’t bother me — except for those who put it into M&P rather than CP or HP. Definitely need a strong emoji for the M&P idea as it would become rancid rather quickly due to not going through the saponification process. 🤮
I had an order from someone to make breast milk soap for her to use with her own baby. Then she told others about it and they ordered some too. Next minute - she had set up her own little business selling a kit with melt and pour soap base, molds, and essential oil - telling people to add 150g of their own breastmilk to a 500g base! Yuk yuk yuk! Silly woman. She did a roaring trade though.

I had an order from someone to make breast milk soap for her to use with her own baby. Then she told others about it and they ordered some too. Next minute - she had set up her own little business selling a kit with melt and pour soap base, molds, and essential oil - telling people to add 150g of their own breastmilk to a 500g base! Yuk yuk yuk! Silly woman. She did a roaring trade though.
I think some people will believe anything. Big yuck from me. I breastfed both my babies but would never make soap from it. I guess it’s not any more gross than using goat milk. Technically. Not for me, thanks.

Algae collected from the ocean, ground up. Also used sea water from that day.
IMG_7715.jpeg

Latest posts

Back