What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the idea of palm free recently came up coz i simply had too much shea and cocoa butters at the moment :D these butters can replace palm easily on paper, just gotta test it on my skin first. i love palm, it is **** cheap over here ($1.2/litre), and it's a great soaping oil.

Having too much butter is never a bad thing, is it?. haha.

I made two batches today. Same oils.

First batch, I used some homebrew. A few days ago, I started with 2 cups of beer, which sat out overnight, and then simmered on the stove for a while (30 min maybe?) I then froze in a couple of my little silicone ice cube trays. Ended up with 7.5 ounces of lovely dark brown, beer-ish ice cubes. I used these plus a bit of water to dissolve my lye, and then added some sweet orange and litsea cubeba EOs at trace. The batter smelled like chocolate, and then when I added the oils, it's just divine! Not what I expected in a good way!

Second batch, I dissolved the lye in some water (equivalent to lye weight), brought everything to trace, then added the remainder of the liquid called for by my recipe in goats milk. Good think I had planned an unscented soap, because Holy cow, did that thicken FAST! I poured most of this in it's own mold, but wanted to add a bit to the top of my beer soap, so it looks "frothy". I went back to do a little doodle swirl in mica on top, but the soap had already set up too far! Within 20 minutes, I've got a giant gelling spot in the middle of my soap, and a half hour after that, the gel has moved nearly all the way to the edges of my mold! I'm not sure I like this mode of adding milk to my soap (I've previously used frozen milk to dissolve my lye)! We'll see what the color does after it's all said and done. But currently, I am closely watching to make sure it doesn't volcano or anything. It's currently in a silicone mold inside a wood mold, but I may take it out of the wood. I've never had a soap get so hot so fast! It's crazy! (And exciting too. . . Hahaha! Does that make ME crazy?)

Last night I made a 48 bar patch of Thai Takeout (a lemongrass EO blend) and tonight, 48 bars of orange spice.

Tomorrow I need to infuse alkanet and then make soap with it.

We had a large wholesale order come through this week and I need to replenish inventory.

I'm trying to lay out 5 batches of soap on the computer, recipes, note planner, colors swirls, new EO blends, etc. All while drinking a couple of glasses of a new wine I found, posting on the forums, chasing my grand daughter around the house on her electric car. I'm thinking my soap is gonna look interesting tomorrow. :crazy:

edited for..

Oh and I made my first batch of HP shaving soap, mixed in there somewhere between the first glass of wine and getting run over by the electric car. I knew I should have listened to my gut when she said, "but Pappy". Sigh, I'm whipped by a 4 year old. haha.

Last edited:
Bought some palm oil, coconut oil, and coconut milk tonight for my OMH batch I will make tomorrow. Also boiled down some beer that is cooling for a new batch. Also going to make a coffee soap this weekend. Lots of soaping ahead!

Botched a batch by adding the hot infusion in the wrong bucket. Ended up having to combine a Neem and a Ginger batch with minty citrus. Although the soapcalc number look good, let's hope it smells alright in 8 weeks.

Oh and I made my first batch of HP shaving soap, mixed in there somewhere between the first glass of wine and getting run over by the electric car. I knew I should have listened to my gut when she said, "but Pappy". Sigh, I'm whipped by a 4 year old. haha.

JB, if it helps any, I'm whipped by 4 year olds almost every day! If I didn't come home from work so tired, I'd get a lot more soap made! I teach pre-K in our local public school.

I FINALLY got to place an order this morning! My job messed up my paycheck in Sept.- just days after we bought a car. Got that taken care of, but by October we had mega-penalties to pay on the TTL of the car (late fees) which made that month just as tight financially. We finally got the November paycheck! It took FOREVER! I'm so happy! *S*

JB, if it helps any, I'm whipped by 4 year olds almost every day! If I didn't come home from work so tired, I'd get a lot more soap made! I teach pre-K in our local public school.

I FINALLY got to place an order this morning! My job messed up my paycheck in Sept.- just days after we bought a car. Got that taken care of, but by October we had mega-penalties to pay on the TTL of the car (late fees) which made that month just as tight financially. We finally got the November paycheck! It took FOREVER! I'm so happy! *S*

My hat is off to you. I love kids, but I don't think I could do what you do. Teachers are a special breed. :clap:

Glad to hear more supplies are on the way.

You must be a saint. Anyone who can handle someone else's 4 year old everyday, much less a room full of 4 year olds???

Made a batch of juniper leaf/berry oil soap and cut a Nag Champa loaf

SAM_000.jpg

Last edited:
I've made 4 48 bar batches in the last couple of days. I need to make at least one more batch for embeds. I'm exhausted.

Only 6-8 weeks until it all needs to be wrapped! Yippee.

Yesterday we created the proposal for entry into a HUGE show and I am hoping we will know before the end of the month so I can start prepping for it.

I've made 4 48 bar batches in the last couple of days. I need to make at least one more batch for embeds. I'm exhausted.

Only 6-8 weeks until it all needs to be wrapped! Yippee.

Yesterday we created the proposal for entry into a HUGE show and I am hoping we will know before the end of the month so I can start prepping for it.

Are those 10 or 12 lb loaves?

I like that color and the specks. Nice combo

The color in real life is amazing. There is a lot that went into it. Real juniper distillate, homemade juniper leaf essential oil, juniper berry essential oil, ground juniper berry skin hot bath oil infusion --- these add multiple layers of the fragrance. Added 2 Tbsp oatmeal flour to it. The speckles are from the ground up juniper berries oil infusion. the color is tinted to a large degree from the leaf of a plant called tecoma stans. It smells so amazing; the leaf oil smells a little christmassy and fresh, the berry oil adds a sweet sharpness and the others are a base. These will go fast.

three yesterday

A honey/pollen/beeswax soap
A champagne fragrance oil soap that came out ugly and will probably get rebatched
A rebatch of my ends and trimmings to which I added coffee to be a scrubby soap (it actually came out awesome)! I am going to call it "Ugly Joe".

Rene

just when i thought i can free myself from lego...

oh well, at least this time it's the bigger size = easier pour for my tremor hand :D

Made a new batch of BB's OMH with coconut milk, honey and oatmeal and they turned out perfect. Tried cutting tonight but I think it's still a little soft.

Unmolded my BB Champagne and Crisp Anjou Pear blend - delicious!!! The house smells like sweet bubbly!

Back