This Weeks Soaps From Billie's Basement

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwayneu

Reaction score
Here are a couple of items Billie and I (mostly Billie) had fun with this week. The log mold batch (#2) is a start for the holidays.

This is an in the pot CP swirl with Ezra FO.
IPSplusTSCPEzra002ab.jpg

A closer view.
IPSplusTSCPEzra003ab.jpg

Here is a CP Xmas log batch with red and green confetti, and Candy Cane FO.
Xmasconfettisoap002ab.jpg

After cutting.
Xmassoapbars004ab.jpg

Here is a Stonehenge batch in our new 16 bar slab mold.
StoneHengesoap013b.jpg

After unmolding.
StoneHengesoap015b.jpg

You guys really have the touch. I love the candy cane one especially. Are the green and red shreds/chunks from another cp batch?

Sparklebrook said:
You guys really have the touch. I love the candy cane one especially. Are the green and red shreds/chunks from another cp batch?

Thanks. Yes they are. I melted a couple of old bars in the microwave and added green to one and red to another and cooled and dried on wax paper. Then I shredded them back up to put in the new batch. I've been doing this a lot lately to get the colored shreds I want and now have bags of several colors and have used up all my ugly or scent faded soap. :D
It is so quick in the micro for just a couple bars if you watch it close.

Sparklebrook said:

Oops, Billie already answered this. :oops:

pinkduchon said:
How do you get such beautiful, delicate swirls? I can never get them right. They always mush.

Thanks.

You might do a search on YouTube for CP Swirls. There are several out there. Here are a couple we made, well Billie made while I ran the video. 8)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp3yxn4Xntc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp3yxn4Xntc[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vBH_DyH6u8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vBH_DyH6u8[/ame]

Wayne: Once again you both have done a beautiful job! Billie is awesome with those swirls!

Just watched the two videos. They were really helpful. :) :)
Had one question, Billie, approximately how many oz. of soap did you have in each of your measuring cups containing the colored soap?

I can never figure out how much to put in each one and always seem to over estimate! (I guess I'd also need to know what size mold you were using in the video with the single mold) :)

Thanks!

Jude

Billie said:
Sparklebrook said:

Thanks. Yes they are. I melted a couple of old bars in the microwave and added green to one and red to another and cooled and dried on wax paper. Then I shredded them back up to put in the new batch. I've been doing this a lot lately to get the colored shreds I want and now have bags of several colors and have used up all my ugly or scent faded soap. :D
It is so quick in the micro for just a couple bars if you watch it close.

Thanks Billie. Great idea!

As I only guess and never measure it is hard to say exactly. I'll try to help. I use 42 ounces of oils for my mold.
If I am coloring the base, I only take out just a little( 1 or 2 oz.) for top swirls and try to pour the base pretty thin so I have time to swirl.
If I am leaving the base plain I will use about a cup of color to swirl in the mold with maybe a tiny amount for a swirl on just the top. If using more than one color I would probably use about 1/2 cup each color.
For an in the pot swirl like the Ezra, I'm finding the colors look better if I do have a light trace so they don't all muck together. I used about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of blue and just 1/4 - 1/2 cup of black.
When I pour, whether it is up high to sink down in the mold, or low for the top swirls, I just make about 4 - 5 lines across and down and then swirl. So it doesn't take that much color to swirl.
The exception is the ITP swirl where I use about 2 cups. Divide that 2 cups into as many colors as you want.
It is hard to help when you don't measure. lol I hope I didn't make things more confusing.

Latest posts

Back