March 2024 SMF Challenge - Stone Soaps!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Vicki C My understanding is that the safety concerns relate primarily to the uncured silicone, i.e., when it is soft and sticky out of the tube. Once it is cured, the skin toxicity is supposedly minimal. After all, in the USA at least, we all have caulking around our water fixtures, shower walls, toilets, baseboards, windows, and doors.

That being said, I hadn't thought about the possibility that chemicals could leach out even from the cured silicone into the soap. Given the high pH of the soap batter, that's entirely possible. I'll see if I can find anything further about that from a reputable source.
Thank you!

Lol 🤣 I think I just screwed up my batch of rocks! I might have to try again. I used a F/O that I managed to make a mantra swirl with before and thought I'd have enough time, but nope. My soap got really thick very fast so I couldn't do what I was planning and I tried to do a in the pot swirl really fast to save it and I think I mixed it way to much so my rocks will probably just be grey. Oh well I will have to try again.

Lol 🤣 I think I just screwed up my batch of rocks! I might have to try again. I used a F/O that I managed to make a mantra swirl with before and thought I'd have enough time, but nope. My soap got really thick very fast so I couldn't do what I was planning and I tried to do a in the pot swirl really fast to save it and I think I mixed it way to much so my rocks will probably just be grey. Oh well I will have to try again.
Oh dear, well, rocks are gray!

I can’t play this time since we are on vacation in Aruba. I’ll post about the Aruba Aloe soap separately. I did take a picture of the rocks and boulders along the sea wall for some stone inspiration. I’ll throw in sunset and sunrise pics, too.
Can’t wait to see all the entries. 😍
IMG_2201.jpeg
IMG_2254.jpeg
IMG_2258.jpeg

Last edited:
@Tammyfarms, I love your soapdough stones! I didn’t realize you could get such subtle effects by mixing it like that.
Thanks! All of this was an experiment. It reminded me of playing with play dough. I have never worked with clay or sculpted anything so this was WAY out of my comfort zone. I did think of giving up and remembered someone on here saying the one thing most of us have in common is the inability to give up. 😂. It’s so true.

Thanks! All of this was an experiment. It reminded me of playing with play dough. I have never worked with clay or sculpted anything so this was WAY out of my comfort zone. I did think of giving up and remembered someone on here saying the one thing most of us have in common is the inability to give up. 😂. It’s so true.
I did find that when mixing colors, less is more!

@CLMP I love your stone soap! Did you use molds? If so, which ones? Beautiful job!
@Tammyfarms Thank you! I used molds from Amazon Set of 2 3D Stone Silicone Molds Elliptical Pebble Stone Baking Pan Cake Mousse Dessert Bakeware Plaster Concrete Handmade Stone Casting Mould Candle Soap Making Mold https://a.co/d/cvfxrKd . 🙂 They have in the USA Amazon too!

Last edited:
@CLMP, agree your soaps were awesome. Especially like the ciaglia one.
@not_ally Thank you! I would also like to say those are really nice soap dough stones @Tammyfarms I like them alot using soap dough was a good idea I've tried to make soap dough before but my recipes don't work. I'd also like to say I also like @MichaelP carved soap stone it's really nice too. I like the colors you used hope you have a fun vacation!

@Tammyfarms Thank you! I used molds from Amazon Set of 2 3D Stone Silicone Molds Elliptical Pebble Stone Baking Pan Cake Mousse Dessert Bakeware Plaster Concrete Handmade Stone Casting Mould Candle Soap Making Mold https://a.co/d/cvfxrKd . 🙂 They have in the USA Amazon too!
Thank you!

@not_ally Thank you! I would also like to say those are really nice soap dough stones @Tammyfarms I like them alot using soap dough was a good idea I've tried to make soap dough before but my recipes don't work. I'd also like to say I also like @MichaelP carved soap stone it's really nice too. I like the colors you used hope you have a fun vacation!
If you want to give dough another try, my recipe is
55% lard
20% coconut oil
20% olive oil
5% castor
I use aloe instead of water and for this batch my lye concentration was 31%, super fat 3%. I do add TEDTA at .5% and ROE at .05%
I can’t remember if you use lard?
My first attempt had 35% lye concentration and I added salt and sugar at 1tsp ppo. That batch produced dough that sheared when I pressed my thumb into a small ball. The second batch still sheared a bit, next time I will use water instead of aloe. I will definitely be making dough again and now I want a jerky press with fun 3D printed shapes. 😬

@not_ally, I love your soap stones too. Especially the addition of black glitter and poppy seeds, great idea! I know it wasn’t what you planned, but the orange is very much the color of many rocks up here in North Idaho. Nicely done!

Latest posts

Back