SMF June 2023 Challenge: Layers!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few days before my injury I made a flag soap. This is something I've wished I had done every July in celebration of our Independence Day, but never remembered in time. This isn't quite cured but will be fine for hand washing by the sink. Not prettied up, but since I felt up to taking a picture I thought I would post it. Thank you @AliOop for this challenge that inspired so much creativity. Everyone who made a soap knocked it out of the park.
PXL_20230629_163552216.jpg

A few days before my injury I made a flag soap. This is something I've wished I had done every July in celebration of our Independence Day, but never remembered in time. This isn't quite cured but will be fine for hand washing by the sink. Not prettied up, but since I felt up to taking a picture I thought I would post it. Thank you @AliOop for this challenge that inspired so much creativity. Everyone who made a soap knocked it out of the park.
View attachment 73317
Wow, that is absolutely amazing, and would have made the voting even harder - which I didn't think was possible!!

They really were lovely. Here’s the soap I made - it’s one I have made before, I called it “White Mountains” - but I think something like a mica line between the layers would have looked better. Next time.

View attachment 73391
Hi, I’m from Colorado, and I like no mica line, as the mountain ranges meld into each other. Beautiful soap!! What are the exfoliation/ or confetti bits? Are they the same through all layers?

Hi, I’m from Colorado, and I like no mica line, as the mountain ranges meld into each other. Beautiful soap!! What are the exfoliation/ or confetti bits? Are they the same through all layers?
Thanks! Yes they were green and white soap bits from a failed evergreen soap - same through each layer. The foreground had chrome oxide for the green with TD and charcoal added to each subsequent layer.

Thanks! Yes they were green and white soap bits from a failed evergreen soap - same through each layer. The foreground had chrome oxide for the green with TD and charcoal added to each subsequent layer.
Did you use a scraper for any of the layers? Did you build right side up or upside down? I think the sky is especially nice in this soap!

Did you use a scraper for any of the layers? Did you build right side up or upside down? I think the sky is especially nice in this soap!
Thank you! I like the sky too. It was a simple in the pot swirl. I made it right side up. I didn’t use a scraper, just let the batter create the dips and mounds except when I got to the top and it started setting up on me. I forget what I used but I made some peaks with the side of a plastic scraper. Totally winging it in my usual way. 🙄

View attachment 73317

What a nice design. I hope you don't mind if I copy your idea at some point (not for sale purposes.) We have some service members on my husband's side of the family. What a nice gift it would be for them!

Latest posts

Back