Spin swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The double batch requirement on this challenge is deadly. You can't try without making a fair amount of soap. I'm already in the 40's for bars made and I've only tried a few times. I hate that sense of drowning in bars.

The double batch requirement on this challenge is deadly. You can't try without making a fair amount of soap. I'm already in the 40's for bars made and I've only tried a few times. I hate that sense of drowning in bars.

Tell me about it!!!! That's why I asked my hubby to build me a 6" x 6" box so I wouldn't use too much batter. I think my original batch would have been much better had I been able to pour the batch quicker in a smaller mold.

By double batch you mean making it thick enough to cut a bar in half along the depth? I agree, my bars are tiny after I cut them also lard evidently takes longer to get hard enough to cut, even with SL. :/

I had one go today, not entirely pleased with it. Don't want to post pictures in case my second attempt is even worse and I have to submit this one! It's not the best soap I've ever made that's for sure.

Remember guys, you can use any technique you want as long as the last step is a spin swirl. You don't have to do a faux funnel, you can do anything.

I hope this sparks the imagination a bit.

Remember guys, you can use any technique you want as long as the last step is a spin swirl. You don't have to do a faux funnel, you can do anything.

I hope this sparks the imagination a bit.

Thanks Dorymae!!! I think I have a new idea of what I'd like to try now :)

Well, my spin swirl is still too soft to cut, and I know it's going to have solid pinks in it - I'm going to try again. I'll end up with 40 soaps too by the time we're finished! I am going to take Doramae's advice and change tactics a bit for the next one.

I've never tried a spin swirl, but I'd like to attempt one. This can only be done in a slab mold, right?
Good luck to all who entered! I can't bear to really post pics let alone enter a contest! You all are inspiring and so talented! Go SMF!

turkey Injector uses

Here is my tip :
Use a TURKEY Injector. Draw up your color batter and Peirce the batter with it slowly press down on the injector and lift slowly leaving a trail of colored batter behind.

I THOUGHT of this while i was sitting behind the Nurses Station SMH with a desk full of syringes :) MAKE US OF :)

then get a small dragonfly twirler and dip it in there and twirl away :)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v45YfUuXI...0/Plastic+Flying+Dragonfly+Toys+-+12+Pack.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my tip :
Use a TURKEY Injector. Draw up your color batter and Peirce the batter with it slowly press down on the injector and lift slowly leaving a trail of colored batter behind.

I THOUGHT of this while i was sitting behind the Nurses Station SMH with a desk full of syringes :) MAKE US OF :)

then get a small dragonfly twirler and dip it in there and twirl away :)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v45YfUuXI...0/Plastic+Flying+Dragonfly+Toys+-+12+Pack.jpg
You need to make a video :)

http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I'd definately like to see a video of that. I've never heard of a dragonfly twirler. I've only seen a modified tunnel pour, then rotating in quarter turns until you get desired swirl. Am I thinkng of the wrong technique?

I'd definately like to see a video of that. I've never heard of a dragonfly twirler. I've only seen a modified tunnel pour, then rotating in quarter turns until you get desired swirl. Am I thinkng of the wrong technique?

its spins the color in the soap batter. :)

Your original idea was the spin swirl we are attempting for the challenge cactislily. Zolveria's method looks like a new idea to try! I'd love to see what the soap looks like when you do it that way.

Put together my second attempt tonight. I found a paper mache box from Michaels that I had gotten to use as a slab mold - and forgot once I ordered the BB silicone mold. (My original desire was to do a peacock swirl, I think the BB mold is perfect for a small batch of that). Anyway, this box is 7x7x3.5... so I lined it with some freezer paper (that was a learning experience) and away I went.

I should have used white - not black. I am worried its all kinda muddy. But I have it wrapped in some old long johns and a bigger box over it hoping I can get it to gel so I can cut it faster. I might do one more this weekend depending on how it goes. I really like this technique. :D

I had the same issue with muddiness. I chose a grey background for my swirl and the green colour I chose as one of the complimentary colours is too close to the grey so there is no contrast and it does look muddy.

I used black too and the top looks muddy :( but I haven't cut into it yet. But I agree it is as fun technique!

First two attempts down, not sure how the second looks yet. The first came out okay, but I'm not happy enough with it. We'll see. . . I'll have to enter something so I hope I don't have to go to attempt 3. Although I do like the technique, it is easy to do.

I had a second attempt today. The colour combination works better than the first but the top isn't as nice because I spent longer mixing the colours up. Gah! Now the perfectionist in me wants another go. I'll be bankrupt with all the fragrance that is going into these batches. Do any of you make unscented soap as your practices? I like to use scented stuff so I think I would end up throwing out the unscented practice bars which would be more of a waste than having loads of soap to use up.

Throw out soap? GASP! Get the pitchforks and torches!

:D

You can always make unscented soap and enter that. The scent does not influence voting I would think.

And you can always cut up the practice bars for imbeds, grate it for confetti soap, or give it to local shelters or other charities... But never throw it out! :D

Back