SMF December 2023 Un-Challenge - Pretty Leftovers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
December gets busy for everyone - the challenge hosts and participants alike. So, we will again have a December Un-Challenge, with the theme of Pretty Leftovers. I think many of us end up with a little extra batter when we make a batch of soap. Sometimes these leftover bits can be made into a really beautiful bar. The challenge this month will be to make something pretty with what you have left. You can approach this in any way you like, but a few ideas are:

Purposely make a few ounces of extra batter when you are making a batch of soap and swirl them
Make a small batch just for the purpose of trying a few new ways to use little bits
Make soap dough with your extra batter, and then use that to create something new
Use a decorative mold - we love to see those almost as much as the actual soap :)

The soap/s you make must be in a single cavity mold. This can be a regular cavity mold or a repurposed item such as single yogurt containers, cupcake pans, a small lined box, etc. Personally, I love to see how creative people are with finding things to use as a mold.

This Un-Challenge is open to everyone. There will not be a separate entry thread and there will not be a vote. Post your soap pictures in this thread at any time. You don't have to sign up to participate, but if you do want to, a sign up list is below.

1. Any SMF member may participate in this Un-Challenge, regardless of length of membership or number of posts.
2.The soap must be made after the Un-Challenge announcement is posted (so do not post pictures of soaps that were made before 12/3/2023).
3. Make and post pictures of as many soaps as you would like. There will not be a separate entry thread and there will not be a vote, so post pictures of your creations in this thread at any time. Photos of failures are just as welcome as photos of successes.
4. If your design is inspired by another maker, please give them credit.
5. A sign up list will be posted, however, if you make a soap and want to share it but haven't officially signed up, please feel welcome to post a picture! Un-Challenges are meant to be relaxed and fun!
6. Experiments are always interesting. If you learned something, please share. Likewise, if you would share anything about your process/result, we'd all be interested in seeing that.
7. As always, please keep comments kind and have fun!

Sign-up List for SMF December 2023 Un-Challenge: Pretty Leftovers. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message, and then add your name and the next number in the list:

Sign-up List for SMF December 2023 Un-Challenge: Pretty Leftovers. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message, and then add your name and the next number in the list:

1. KiwiMoose - I always have leftovers that go into cavity molds - so I'm sure I can throw up something!
2. basti - time to show my favorite little overflow molds 😁

1. KiwiMoose - I always have leftovers that go into cavity molds - so I'm sure I can throw up something!
2. basti - time to show my favorite little overflow molds 😁
3. Misschief - This one I can do. I always have leftover batter!

I Might sit this one out because I need to make some more pinetar and oatmeal soap and I don't think I will have left overs plus I might be really busy this month but I will definitely enjoy seeing what everybody comes up with!🤩

1702327563629.png

I made four batches of soap this week! All four had split lye solution + oils to make layers and three of them had ITPS and/or OPW elements, so suffice to say my bowls needed a lot of scraping. I like to keep these tiny little molds (~0.3 oz) on hand for overflow. As you can see, they never really get neatly filled but I think that's part of the fun of it. It's always interesting to see how the spatula smears mingle together.

celestias blessing.png

Bonus: you can see them properly filled in with MP soap. The molds are the different Elements from a video game I like to play.

That's all. Have a restful December, everyone~

View attachment 75624
I made four batches of soap this week! All four had split lye solution + oils to make layers and three of them had ITPS and/or OPW elements, so suffice to say my bowls needed a lot of scraping. I like to keep these tiny little molds (~0.3 oz) on hand for overflow. As you can see, they never really get neatly filled but I think that's part of the fun of it. It's always interesting to see how the spatula smears mingle together.

View attachment 75625
Bonus: you can see them properly filled in with MP soap. The molds are the different Elements from a video game I like to play.

Those look really cool how did you get molds of your video game that's pretty neat.🌟

View attachment 75624

View attachment 75625

How beautiful and creative. I like it very much...🙂

Here is my leftover oval soap bar made from an in the pot swirl attempt. Straight from the mold - not cleaned up yet. (And only on the fuzzy blanket for some contrast for the picture). It is now curing in an appropriate setup ;) Scented with Lingonberry Spice
Pretty!

How do you like Lingonberry Spice FO? Does it smell like lingonberries?

Pretty!

How do you like Lingonberry Spice FO? Does it smell like lingonberries?
Thank you! I like Lingonberry Spice FO but a little bit goes a long way. :) I have to admit, I am not well versed in the actual berry. I did buy some Lingonberry Spread at Sprouts that was imported from Sweden because I was curious. The FO smells much sweeter to me.

Thank you! I like Lingonberry Spice FO but a little bit goes a long way. :) I have to admit, I am not well versed in the actual berry. I did buy some Lingonberry Spread at Sprouts that was imported from Sweden because I was curious. The FO smells much sweeter to me.
Thanks for the info, and good to know! I’m of Swedish descent so lingonberries (or “lingon,” as my grandma called it), are so embedded into my family’s Christmas tradition. I really should order some for next year!

Here’s my first confetti soap I made with some scrap pieces , I wish you guys could smell through the screen , it smells so good! I made an essential oil blend that smells very tropical, so I’ve named this soap tropical storm even though it looks like the grey padding that goes underneath carpet 😂
Not sure what I was supposed to copy and paste , I’ve pretty new to this forum.
Merry Christmas y’all !!!

Attachments

• 8B08C2B4-23CF-484B-A093-DA3F694249B6.jpeg
    8B08C2B4-23CF-484B-A093-DA3F694249B6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • FD57C621-F6DB-46C8-815D-B3EDE02AF927.jpeg
    FD57C621-F6DB-46C8-815D-B3EDE02AF927.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 5F7CDB1B-D9BF-4E34-BC4F-8F3D9F107960.jpeg
    5F7CDB1B-D9BF-4E34-BC4F-8F3D9F107960.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 708D2BDD-4DB3-4E8E-AED6-ACB1E10E455F.jpeg
    708D2BDD-4DB3-4E8E-AED6-ACB1E10E455F.jpeg
  • 91A63E3A-EFB1-49C6-A828-3A44A6BED694.jpeg
    91A63E3A-EFB1-49C6-A828-3A44A6BED694.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • C47B969B-FD82-4945-9888-8D0A438CE93F.jpeg
    C47B969B-FD82-4945-9888-8D0A438CE93F.jpeg
Merry Christmas 🎄 everybody hope you all had a good one! I like everybody's soaps. I didn't get around to making my pinetar yet I was too busy so it will have to wait till the new year!

Latest posts

Back