So what are YOUR soapy secrets?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just justified my laziness in measuring all oils into crockpot for melting, measuring water and lye in two other containers, mix soap up, pour soap into molds and place it on my heating pad, wash everything in the bathroom, and clean up soaping area. So I clean 2 measuring cups, a spatula, crockpot stoneware and the SB attachment plus bathroom sink.

I am so glad I'm able to help you out!!

At least you're thorough. Not hating there. :mrgreen:

I didn't think you were (or anyone else, for that matter). I'm enjoying the jokes at my expense. I know how ridiculous that post is. I almost deleted it because I thought people might think, "Holy cow! She's nuts!" But I am. So what? If it wasn't for us nuts how would the normal people know they were normal? I embrace my OCD. I used to get upset by it and tried to be normal; but I'm not. I expend more energy trying to fight the OCD than I do just living with it. It's going to be a really sad day when I can't laugh at myself and the ridiculous situations I get into. What ever doesn't kill me is going to have me laughing my butt off about it in an hour.

I didn't think you were (or anyone else, for that matter). I'm enjoying the jokes at my expense. I know how ridiculous that post is. I almost deleted it because I thought people might think, "Holy cow! She's nuts!" But I am. So what? If it wasn't for us nuts how would the normal people know they were normal? I embrace my OCD. I used to get upset by it and tried to be normal; but I'm not. I expend more energy trying to fight the OCD than I do just living with it. It's going to be a really sad day when I can't laugh at myself and the ridiculous situations I get into. What ever doesn't kill me is going to have me laughing my butt off about it in an hour.

Honesty Teresa, that attitude is a very healthy way to live. And tough toasties to anyone who needs to judge us - far too many years of a person's life are wasted worrying about what someone else thinks.

My memory leaves a lot to be desired so if I simplify things where I can and work slowly when I can, I find that I can keep track of what I'm doing better. It also helps that I'm a bag lady when it comes to soaping so I just keep different supplies in certain bags so I know where things are. I just try my best to make sure everything is kept in their place and put away or I will risk freaking out because I forgot where my gloves or spatulas are and search the house in circles.

My memory leaves a lot to be desired so if I simplify things where I can and work slowly when I can, I find that I can keep track of what I'm doing better. It also helps that I'm a bag lady when it comes to soaping so I just keep different supplies in certain bags so I know where things are. I just try my best to make sure everything is kept in their place and put away or I will risk freaking out because I forgot where my gloves or spatulas are and search the house in circles.

Arimara, I understand. That's where my ADHD comes in. I have so many half finished things because, OH LOOK! A SQUIRREL!

For me, a routine and an order are keys to getting anything done. When I am learning something, I literally break it down into baby steps on a checklist and tick them off as I go along. If I don't, there's that squirrel again! Once it becomes ingrained and second nature, I can relax the regiment and make changes to be more efficient. I am nowhere near there yet with soaping.

I'm finding bits and pieces of my soaping habits in all of your posts!

I'm definitely a scraper (but not compulsively so).

I've used the same Pyrex measuring container for my lye mixture for six years.

I have to make sure my kitchen is clean before I start measuring out oils and other ingredients.

I'm also very OCD about cross-contamination of oils (I use a separate spoon to scoop out each individual oil). I've worked in restaurants all my life, so when I'm making soap I behave as if I'm preparing food for the public.

I mix my lye and oils outside and wash my dishes outside. (Instead of wearing a mask when I'm mixing the lye into the water, I just hold my breath and keep ducking back inside to breathe. Anyone else do this??)

I've always used slab molds. I've never once used a loaf mold in six years.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of!

I always measure oils in the same container too, and make two batches at a time (tried to make more but couldn't keep track of the over- under-pours, memory not that sharp). And I leave the shea butter for last, 'cuz if I'ver overpoured or underpoured on any others it's easy to fix with a semi-hard oil. Never had any problems with this method.

My soaping milieu: sleeveless or short sleeves, if I get any on me it's easy to clean, long sleeves for me are a DISASTAH. Capri leggings, sandles with socks, nitrile or other safe gloves, my biggest eyeglasses. Newspapers over all countertops in reach and stovetop. Hardwood floors in kitchen and I'm super paranoid, clean them immediately after soaping and again after cleanup. In my 5 years soaping I only have one small lye spot on them from my beginner days.

Metallica or other metal that isn't too hard-core to concentrate. Or quiet. I can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time while soaping :)

And I'm always scared. Every single time. Especially so with one I haven't made in a while, or a new one. Probably never will get completely comfortable with the process, and IMHO that's fine as I won't get complacent :)

Last edited:
Arimara, I understand. That's where my ADHD comes in. I have so many half finished things because, OH LOOK! A SQUIRREL!

Oh my God! I'm severe ADD! I get that squirrel thing so well! I have so many good notes, index cards, files on my phone and can't find a thing when I need it. My notes have notes. I have containers of mixed oils and butter batches I have lost the recipe for, I have no idea how much lye to use. I hang onto them, just in case. Soaps curing, no idea what's in them.
If someone comes up with a soaping organizational tracking book I'm in. But, I'd forget to use it.

Last edited:
Soaps curing, no idea what's in them.
If someone comes up with a soaping organizational tracking book I'm in. But, I'd forget to use it.

Oh no! I have a template I made up in a Word doc that I use to record everything I need to know about every soap, dates, batch numbers, all the oils used including their Best Before dates, every ingredient down to the pinch of glitter, photos and copious notes at various stages, what I did, how I did it, what I would change for next time ... etc, etc

Every soap ... keeping those files organised on my computer is a feat in itself.

That's not OCD, just well organised right? ... :razz:

SuzieOz I wish I was like that! I would love it, I'm sloooowly getting better as my soap is getting better I don't change up much and that helps. OCD! Maybe lol

This thread sure has taken on a life of its own! So glad to know I'm not the only odd ball out there lol!
Bf pointed another one out to me this morning. Apparently I'm a container hoarder. I have almost every container I've emptied since I started soaping. Like I told him, you never know when you'll need them! Good for master batching, infusions, and storing all that diluted LS lol

This thread sure has taken on a life of its own! So glad to know I'm not the only odd ball out there lol!
Bf pointed another one out to me this morning. Apparently I'm a container hoarder. I have almost every container I've emptied since I started soaping. Like I told him, you never know when you'll need them! Good for master batching, infusions, and storing all that diluted LS lol

I'm a bucket hoarder and a box hoarder. I've always hoarded boxes, but after I started selling soap, it got worse! I know exactly how many wrapped batches will fit in certain boxes and I have certain boxes I like best.

I haven't seen this in the thread yet. Am I the only one who measures oils then rechecks my exact weights in soap all before setting up my lye solution? I know .01g might not effect the whole but I feel better with the exact.

(And then if I miss measure or eyeball something wrong I'm not super off on my sf in my final soap)

I am a scraper, looks like the dog licked the bowl.
Every time I get a new mold, I tweak my recipe until it's exactly filled, not a hair under or over.
Did I say I was a scraper?? I also scrape the soap off my molds before I wash them, and save it in a small crockpot, and also my bevel shavings. This is the soap I get to use.
I have a problem with fragrances, I have to try them all, I've bought so many now, it will take years to make soap with them.
I use two bowls. My main bowl I measure the liquid oils in, then I use a second bowl to individually measure hard oils and dump into the main bowl.
I two measure everything in the same order every time.
I wear all my old shirts, and usually my pajama bottoms, socks and slippers. Yes I go outside to mix my lye....

I haven't seen this in the thread yet. Am I the only one who measures oils then rechecks my exact weights in soap all before setting up my lye solution? I know .01g might not effect the whole but I feel better with the exact.

(And then if I miss measure or eyeball something wrong I'm not super off on my sf in my final soap)

I just weigh each oil three or four times then weigh the empty container to make sure it reads zero so that every last bit went into the bowl. I tried weighing the bowl after I was finished filling it one time and it was off a few grams. Oh. My. Gosh. Never again! Do you know the absolute panic that had me in? I was near tears and almost tossed all the oils and started over. But, then I realized I soap with an 8% SF just in case of emergencies like that. A gram or two either way isn't a big deal when you have such a high SF. Or so I tell myself. (Do not spoil my illusion.)

I measure everything into one bowl, I always measure in the same order, from largest percentage to smallest. I always add my fragrance to my colours after the colours have mixed. Unless I am doing a swirl that requires it, I go for emulsification vs true trace. If I am working with an accelerator, I only scent a few portions in order to still swirl on top of those layers. Also separate my scent components to make us of discolouration. When figuring out a scent I go to perfume sides to decide if the notes make sense.

I've got a template on my computer so I can sketch out swirl plans. I can't plan for what the swirl will precisely look out but I can visualize how I want to divide the batter, it and Soapmaker are the cornerstone of my soaping plans.

Latest posts

Back