Soda Ash

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madde hughes

Reaction score
Hi,
We are struggling with soda ash pretty badly. Here's the kicker though, it is NOT on every soap. Just on some. We can't figure out the rhyme or reason behind what makes some of them get the soda ash and others not. We've been reading and doing research, and one of the things we read about was covering the soap after you're done making it, with saran/ cling wrap around the top. Well we did that on two different soaps, and they must've gotten to hot because they both got this salt like texture on the top of them and one got glycerin rivers extremely bad. The one that got the glycerin rivers was made a week before, same recipe, same environment, everything, except it was not wrapped and it came out beautifully. Within that week between making the 2 batches was when we read about the saran/cling wrap and that is why I put it on the second batch even though the first had no soda ash. Was just trying to prevent soda ash on any and everything since we can't figure out why it is happening sometimes. Just a little backstory. So needless to say after making those 2 batches that came out bad after being wrapped with the saran/ cling wrap on top, we have not wrapped them again like that. We live in South Louisiana and we keep a dehumidifer in the area we soap in. It is always running. There is also an air con unit in the same area to keep things from overheating.
Essentially, my post is to seek the advice, and knowledge from others on how to prevent the soda ash. Or why you think it would be happening. Any feedback is welcome!

You haven't shared anything about the recipe(s) you're using to make the soap. The recipe, especially water content, can definitely affect the tendency toward developing ash. I'm surprised you haven't come across that in your research. What lye concentration do you use?

Posting your recipe will be helpful.

I normally use a loaf mold. After pouring the batter into the mold, I spray with rubbing alcohol, cover with plastic wrap, then a piece of cardboard. I like to gel so I add a pile of towels on top. Since I started this, I have successfully avoided soda ash.

My soaps poured into single cavity molds are especially vulnerable to soda ash but I avoid it if I unmold after 5 days.

Also, soda ash is just cosmetic. I know you weren't expecting it, but it's still usable. Good luck!

Soda ash can be recipe dependent, and can be temperature dependent too. The more water you use in your recipe the more likely you will get soda ash - and also glycerin rivers if it gels (but if it doesn't gel - more likely to get soda ash).
I used to spray with isopropyl alcohol but i found it made the tops a bit spotty/mottly, and then I tried covering with cling film but that's not good when CPOPing soap, and it ruined my textured soap tops anyway. So now I just let them do what they wanna do. After setting up, while the soap is still in the loaf, I boil the kettle and hold the loaf upside down over the steaming kettle ( I need to state the obvious here about being careful of burning yourself). That gets rid of the soda ash. I then wait a further 5-10 minutes for the wet-steamed top to reabsorb before cutting.

Last edited:
I have the same problem too. Along the way I discovered for me personally, Shea & Cocoa butter ashed my soaps and additive free soaps ashed more frequently. I generally use 33% lye concentration in my variation of recipe experimentation.

Tried spraying with IA and cling wrapping but still had ash. I do not want to steam/plane/buff soaps as I am too lazy, LOL! I have now stopped using butters and started adding clay powders which I find to be good at reducing ash. So far only 1 of my clay soaps have ash and that's just the top.

I tend towards lazy so never heated my oils in a tropical climate with 80% humidity. I soap with my oils at room temp about 28-30C. I'm now trying to warm my oils by using hotter lye than oils. That's what I did in my latest honey soap and indigo soap, both had no ash! Batter was about 40C when poured.

Sidenote, I must say butters ashing my soap made a very interesting soap one time. I poured 2 colours simultaneously to have a left/right distinction without using dividers. The ash went right down the middle distinction line. Not what I wanted but "I meant to do that".

After setting up, while the soap is still in the loaf, I boil the kettle and hold the loaf upside down over the steaming kettle ( I need to state the obvious here about being careful of burning yourself). That gets rid of the soda ash. I then wait a further 5-10 minutes for the wet-steamed top to reabsorb before cutting.

Leaving them in the mold is a great idea. I’m gonna try that!

Does anybody know what these crystals would be and is this safe to use now?

Attachments

• IMG_4766.jpeg
    IMG_4766.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
What’s your recipe? I would probably make a separate post too. Could be soda ash but I’m not sure at all.
So I took it out of the mould and with touching the white, it seems to melt in when touched into an oil base so could be coconut oil which was the main ingredient used.

Latest posts

Back