SMF November 2016 Soap Challenge - Creative Colour Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually having a really hard time with this!! I tend to pick my colors based on a flower I've seen or a sunset I'm trying to recreate or the toad living in my garage... Any number of strange but magnificent things in nature attract me and then I add my own twist on it. So using a color wheel and coming up with a triad or analogous color scheme is totally killing my vibe. I made a batch that turned out too soft and chalky feeling for some reason (haven't figured that out yet) and when I cut it, there was a penis in there! (At least I think that's what it is; it's been ages since I've actually seen one...) Oh my gosh, I laughed my butt off over that!! I might enter that just because it's funny.

dibbles, that is so pretty!

My one and only is on the oven now. I hope the colors end up being true to what I was trying for!

I'm actually having a really hard time with this!! I tend to pick my colors based on a flower I've seen or a sunset I'm trying to recreate or the toad living in my garage... Any number of strange but magnificent things in nature attract me and then I add my own twist on it. So using a color wheel and coming up with a triad or analogous color scheme is totally killing my vibe.

I'm with you on this. I've played with the color wheel several times now and I am finding myself just bored with the choices! I have used it to come up with some awesome color schemes... only they were after I moved one or more points from the wheel's pre-chosen ones. ha!

At any rate I haven't had a spare minute so I might not get around to it this month. I thought I would have a lot of spare time but that's just never the case.

As I understand it, it is okay to move a color from the selected one. I used the selected orange color, but lightened it to where I thought the mica would be, based on what I experienced with it before.

Yes you are free to move the points - perhaps I didn't explain very well. You are free to use the harmonies as a starting point then freestyle away from that to achieve a scheme that you are happy with. The idea was just to play around with the wheel to get something you are happy with. You can also add in extra colours like I added in the black.

Oh! I misunderstood then. Now I wish I had saved the one scheme I came up with.... I don't even remember the colors in it after playing around with the wheel so much! lol

1.TeresaT - I am ALL about the color!!!
2. KCHaystack - RAINBOWS!!!! Probably not but still
3. doriettefarm - Freestyle color challenge? I'm totally in . . . hopefully I won't make anyone's eyes bleed!
4. dibbles - Going to check out the FOs for a little inspiration
5. BattleGnome - I had a plan for Christmas presents..I may change it now
6. crispysoap - so many colours, so little time
7. Guspuppy - color me in! (sorry for the excessively bad pun)
8. Earlene -So cool! I've been wanting an interactive color wheel challenge!
9. Misschief - time to buy more colorants!
10. Mx6inpenn - have to pick which color to start with.....
11. Penelope Jane - colour, colour everywhere
12. snappyllama - Yay, I will actually be able to get in a challenge now that life has settled down!
13. BlackDog - super creative, Saponista! Looking forward to it!
14. DeeAnna -- This might turn into a wheel of torture, not a wheel of color, but I'm in....
15. Queennikki-- this is my first challenge super excited!
16. Steve85569 - What could go wrong?....
17. Newbie-I find color choice hard so hoping the wheel will take me places.
18. Dixiedragon - *sings* My coat of many colors....
19. nsmar4211 -One I can do in HP! Wheeeee!!! Ok, where are my micas....
20. apples - I'll be making one last batch of christmas soaps later (I know I'm late) I got the colour idea from this challenge so I feel like I have to join the fun ;)

I'm actually having a really hard time with this!! I tend to pick my colors based on a flower I've seen or a sunset I'm trying to recreate or the toad living in my garage... Any number of strange but magnificent things in nature attract me and then I add my own twist on it. So using a color wheel and coming up with a triad or analogous color scheme is totally killing my vibe. I made a batch that turned out too soft and chalky feeling for some reason (haven't figured that out yet) and when I cut it, there was a penis in there! (At least I think that's what it is; it's been ages since I've actually seen one...) Oh my gosh, I laughed my butt off over that!! I might enter that just because it's funny.

Are you sure you're making soap or are you hiding body parts... You made me laugh so hard.:)

Newbie, I like how you used the color wheel to get your color scheme for what I now think of as 'newbie's Ribbon Pour technique' I think I may try that to achieve that wood grain look I want, but haven't mastered yet.

Dibbles, your entry is beautiful.

Re: adjusting the shade or intensity of the colors once the color wheel chooses them: I did that, too. I wanted lighter/paler shades especially on the purple end. It was a little tough to accomplish with my big fat finger on this tiny little screen. :)

Last edited:
I'm just now seeing this. Is it to late to add my name and how do I add it? I have over 50 posts so I can finally do a challenge!

I'm just now seeing this. Is it to late to add my name and how do I add it? I have over 50 posts so I can finally do a challenge!

Nope, it's not too late. You have until the 24th to get your entry in. Go to the first two posts. The first one has what the challenge is for this month. The second one has the rules. Then, find the LAST list of names and quote it (or copy it) and add your name to the end. Easy peasy. If you quote it, you'll get the quote brackets at the beginning and the end. I usually just delete those. It's easier for me to hit the quote button than copy it. But I'm lazy like that. :)

3. doriettefarm - Freestyle color challenge? I'm totally in . . . hopefully I won't make anyone's eyes bleed!
12. snappyllama - Yay, I will actually be able to get in a challenge now that life has settled down!
14. DeeAnna -- This might turn into a wheel of torture, not a wheel of color, but I'm in....
20. apples - I'll be making one last batch of christmas soaps later (I know I'm late) I got the colour idea from this challenge so I feel like I have to join the fun ;)
21. Chela1261 - yay! My very first challenge here!

Nope, it's not too late. You have until the 24th to get your entry in. Go to the first two posts. The first one has what the challenge is for this month. The second one has the rules. Then, find the LAST list of names and quote it (or copy it) and add your name to the end. Easy peasy. If you quote it, you'll get the quote brackets at the beginning and the end. I usually just delete those. It's easier for me to hit the quote button than copy it. But I'm lazy like that. :)

Thank you TeresaT! I just did it and it was easy.......now on to my soap

Last edited:

22. carlyjones- time to test out the new mica order!!

22. carlyjones - time to test out the new micas!!

Although I am happy with my entry, I made one more batch today using this month's Challenge criteria. I needed to use up some oils so I can consolidate my packing for our trip back home, which worked out very well, btw.

I used discoloring fragrance but the colors I chose are dark, so my purpose was to get a darker shade of the colors.

It's in the oven to encourage gel. I'll cut it tonight. When I packed up my soaping supplies, I kept out what I need for cutting. I don't plan to trim them until I get back home, though.

My second attempt is just barely in the molds right now. I think it's my first official soap on a stick.

I used "Irish Spring type" from Sweet Cakes. I don't know if it accelerated or if I just blended too much. There are no notes in the description about acceleration and they don't have reviews on the product descriptions that would let me know. I also used a new/different recipe with more hard oils.

Pretty sure my colors are where I wanted them, I'll just have to see when I unmold.

First and likely only attempt is in the mold. I'm happy with my color combo but not sure about the color distribution. I was going for a white base with 4 color ITP swirl but my slow-trace recipe moved quicker than expected. When I poured into the white base my colors just kinda sat on top, so I gave it a good stir and hoped for the best but I feel like most of the color is now sitting on the bottom of the mold. Could've been the FO but I don't remember it being that speedy last time I used it. Crossing my finger & toes & praying to the soap gods . . . it will be interesting to see what this looks like when I cut tomorrow.

Black dog, your entry is lovely.

As I mentioned in a previous post I used the online color wheel for another soap. My goal continues to be to achieve success getting a wood-grain look using the ribbon pourethod. Again, no success this time either. Too bad. I think the colors would have been perfect for my hoped for design.

I don't have any pictures of it yet. As soon as I cut it I packed it back into the shoebox (mold) for transport back home. I'll re-evaluate how I feel about this soap when I unpack it and trim it up in a couple of days. When I cut I wasn't at all happy with the look and wasn't even sure the fragrance came through.

Latest posts

Back