May 2024 SMF Challenge: Hanger Swirls!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay....here is my first "fail" as far as the challenge goes. The swirl just didn't quite swirl! The colors are a little darker than I anticipated but....it smells nice (Birchwood Oul FO) and I don't hate how it turned out. It's just not what I was going for. I have a 2nd attempt that went much better and I plan to give it a 3rd try before I decide. I used a hangar swirl tool from BB. After watching a couple of videos I know my biggest mistake here was pouring my colors in distinct layers. I changed that on my second effort and things went much better. I had also tried doing a swirl after filling the mold halfway, then finishing the fill and swirling again. Yeah....that didn't work so well for me this time. Colors - Cappuccino mica, Gold Ultrasparkle mica, and Evergreen mica - all from BB. Goat milk replaced water 100%. Oils - Olive, Avocado, Castor, Coconut, Soybean/Palm mix (Crisco)

Thank you for the discussion of mixing micas in oils. I did that this time and really liked the result!
So.....let's see some other "fails". :)
View attachment 77447
That actually is quite cool - very moody and mysterious!

And thank you for sharing that tip about not pouring in distinct layers, as well. I agree - random strips of color seem to work best for me, as well.

Latest posts

Back