SMF December Challenge- high and low water batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be around and am more than happy to help with low water experiences! Just my opinion, but if doing an itp I'd be sure, if your higher water is not the base, to use enough of the high water to be sure it pops and isn't too muddied where the effect is lost.

1. Lenarenee - pretending like I don't know what I've gotten myself into now!
2. Saponista - So many ideas, so little time to soap this month!
3. TheDragonGirl - this looks so cool and I wanted to try it anyhow
4. Dixiedragon
5. Songwind - Sounds fun, I'm in.
6. Obsidian- like I need more soap
7. Sonya-m - ooh I love a technical challenge!!
8. BlackDog - this challenge is totally out of my league!
9. dibbles - I see flops in my future!
10. Dixiedragon

Yes, you can do almost any proportion you want, including 1/2 and 1/2. The minimum portion of either high or low water is 1/4 of the total batch.

I think an ITP would work as long as the swirls aren't super fine. Super fine amounts of soap might not have enough bulk to get the effect.

I'm telling you, when I cut the ends off my soap, my jaw dropped. It was so awful!!! Thank the gods for hortizontal cuts.

newbie - I think your last post had dixiedragon listed twice (#4 & #10) so I claimed the #10 spot. Also wanted to clarify your statement about design and colors being completely our choice. I'm reading this to mean there is no requirement to show the same colorants in both high & low water, correct?

4. Dixiedragon
10. doriettefarm - I'm game but frantically searching for FOs that behave in low water!

4. Dixiedragon
10. doriettefarm - I'm game but frantically searching for FOs that behave in low water!
11. Judiraz- I've been wanting to do this with color...lots of ideas.

4. Dixiedragon
12. CaraBou - You know I'll do it anyway; might as well commit myself now so I can't back out from showing

Thank you, Lena. I saw she dropped off but didn't see she was added back in.

This challenge sounds more complicated than it is! I think it may be because of all the numbers thrown around because of the two lye:water ratios but you are just soaping with 2 batters that have different amounts of water in them. YOu can do it!!

You are correct. You do not need to use the same color in both high and low water. It is fun to see the difference between them in both types of batter but there is no requirement to do so.

Doriette, whose FO's do you have the most of? We may be able to say for sure if one or some of them behave well in low water.

Some that come to mind are:

BB's Champagne, Kumquat, Patchoulis, Amber, Orange Peel plus Amber, White TEa and Ginger, I think Blackberry Sage

Oregon Trails Mysore Sandalwood

Candle Science's Fruit Slices

WSP's Love Spell (most Love SPell's are slow to trace so you may be lucky with most suppliers), black raspberry vanilla

I think FB's Sexy Beast works too. There had been reviews up about use in low water but now I can't find them!

I will have to tap LP's list of FO's that work well in low water. Help, LP!

Last edited:
4. Dixiedragon
12. CaraBou - You know I'll do it anyway; might as well commit myself now so I can't back out from showing
13. Mrs Spaceship - is terrified.

Oooo, the 13th spot, good thing I'm not superstitious. :think:
So is there a minimum number of colors? I only have 1 lb loaf molds and I worry that the measurements will tend to get too fiddly if I try too many colors. Can I just keep it to one color (the discount would give me 2)?

I'm here. I need a moment to get together a list....and it is -
Neroli Shea blossom bb
Mysore sandalwood ot
Probably but not certain lavender cedar bb
Fresh snow bb
Lavender forest bb
Black vetyver coffee daystar
Lychee red tea bb
Green Irish tweed ot
Milk sugar kisses daystar
Blend of lavender 40/42, eucalyptus,patchouli and cedar eo's
Blend of rosemary, lavender, litsea, patchouli and cedarwood eo's
Blend of Ginger patchouli bb, Orange peel bb, and patchouli eo, leading me to believe they're all probably safe alone in low water
Blend of rosemary,cedarwood, and frankincense eo's
Blend of rosemary eo, cedarwood eo, mysore sandalwood fo OT, and juniper berry eo
Blend of juniper berry fo, vetyver fo bb, cedarwood eo
Patchouli passion fb
Lavender sage fb
Cedarwood/juniper berry fo by fb
Sultana, fb, I *think* may be a tad accelerated fo because I don't fully remember. Think started slow and then went fast at the sweet point.
BlackBerry sage bb
Toffee sugar crunch daystar
Blend cedarwood lavender 42/40 and 10xorange eo's
Blend cedarwood, lavender 42/40, 10xorange and litsea, patchouli eo's
Blend pomegranate black currant bb and velvet peppercorn mad oils leading me to believe they're both work fairly well alone
Almond creme rustic escentuals
Sweetgrass bb
Blend mysore sandalwood ot, velvet peppercorn MO, cedarwood eo and sweetgrass bb
Blend pomegranate black currant bb and earl grey MO, leading me to believe they're both work alone well
Silver mountain water ot
I hope this gives some help!!!!

I did this very fast .If someone notices a discrepancy in, like, hey LP! Lavender sage isn't made by so-and-so....if there's a mess up on vendors to fo's, please let me know asap! I'll recheck and check my empty bottles tomorrow to ensure I didn't make mistakes. Thanks you all!

Last edited:
I've actually got a sample bottle that's a 50/50 mix of BB's champange & crisp anjou pear. Pretty sure LP gifted it to me in the Alternative Liquid swap so I wonder if that would work? I've also got tons of FB FOs and others from BB, AHRE, Soapalooza if you have any suggestions from those suppliers.

4. Dixiedragon
14. DeeAnna. I don't have time for this -- it's my super crazy incredibly busy season at work -- but I'm gonna make time.

There are probably too few rules on this one!

No required number of colors. No rules about colors at all except within the one rule that you cannot duplicate one of Auntie Clara's soaps made with this method. You can use no colors at all if you wish.

If you want to show a bunch of pics with your entry, we'd love to see them but you are only required to post a picture of your finished soap/soaps.

Thanks LP!

Also, you can use infused oils to get your colors, use red palm oil to get your colors, naturals, micas, unltramarines, oxides, clays.... Use your imagination! I have not used clays or infused oils but no reason it shouldn't work, that I'm aware of.

PS. No probs with cross-posting! I'm glad people will say something so the question-asker gets their answer ASAP.

Last edited:
Oooo, the 13th spot, good thing I'm not superstitious. :think:
So is there a minimum number of colors? I only have 1 lb loaf molds and I worry that the measurements will tend to get too fiddly if I try too many colors. Can I just keep it to one color (the discount would give me 2)?

I'm sure newbie will clarify, but the way I read it, I don't think you have to use any colors at all, or can use any number of colors. ---oops newbie I cross-posted you!

LP - thanks for the list! I just ordered a bottle of BB Blackberry Sage so I might have to give it a whirl for this challenge! *claps hands and squeals*

Bummer, I don't have any of the FOs LP listed . . . maybe I'll have to do an EO blend for this one. Need to get more adventurous with the colors this time but simple could be better, I'm so torn!

I've actually got a sample bottle that's a 50/50 mix of BB's champange & crisp anjou pear. Pretty sure LP gifted it to me in the Alternative Liquid swap so I wonder if that would work? I've also got tons of FB FOs and others from BB, AHRE, Soapalooza if you have any suggestions from those suppliers.

I'd bet on it working. It wasn't me that gifted. I'm thinking it was snappyllama who scented the body butter in the same fo, if I'm recalling correctly.

If anyone is a bettin' man or woman, ask and I'll look up the fo and tell you if I'd risk it in low water. Worst case you get an oppsie batch and have to try again. I'll do what I can to help and guide!

4. Dixiedragon
14. DeeAnna. I don't have time for this -- it's my super crazy incredibly busy season at work -- but I'm gonna make time.
15. Commoncenz - Why, oh WHY do I do this to myself?

Back