SMF December Challenge- high and low water batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved this challenge newbie. I think you just got unlucky with the month. I only managed two tries and I would have loved to do more, but just had no time to soap. I imagine everyone had the same problem.

newbie, I'm grateful you chose this technique! I was certainly intimidated by it, but it's the kind of thing I never ever would have tried without the challenge to encourage me. And it didn't end up being as difficult as I thought. Now I'm planning more batches to use this technique with! So thank you :)

One suggestion if we do a similar challenge would be to provide a basic recipe with all the maths worked out that people could stick to and avoid having to calculate anything themselves? Then if difficulty was the problem it would encourage more people to have a go? I don't think that was the case though as I'm sure people would have asked with calculation help if they had needed it.

I'm glad you did this challenge. It's a technique I've wanted to try from the first time I saw Auntie Clara's posts about it. Unfortunately for me, November/December turned into a time of mourning and soap challenges just didn't happen. I did manage to try it, and will again later this week. The fact that it became part of the monthly challenges was part of the reason I even had the confidence to try it.

Too difficult? I don't think so, as long as you keep your oils and lye waters straight.

Okay. Just checking.

I thought about providing numbers but I thought people would want to use their own recipes or if they didn't have access to or want to use the oils I chose to put out there, they were stuck with the math anyhow. I also assumed people would ask if they were having troubles with the math.

I loved the challenge. It was a great learning experience and the results - even of my "failures" got my DW interested in my habit er hobby of soaping. "Stained Glass Soap" is something she got excited about.

The hint of the black and white challenge has me already plotting some 2016 Halloween soap too.:think:

I only speak for myself.
Steve

I loved this challenge as well...probably just the season. It definitely was a challenge, but that's why we want to do them, right? If it was easy or simple it wouldn't be as much fun.

I still plan on doing the challenge when time allows now that the holiday is over. I honestly was just too swamped holding my head above water. The challenge was awesome newbie, no insecurities necessary.

Personally, I feel terrible I signed up but didn't get a batch done. I sincerely apologize, newbie. Not only the holidays got in my way but several huge life issues arose. I wanted to participate in Nov and Dec but wasn't able to soap either month. I'm sorry you're feeling insecure and it certainly isn't the challenges on my part, just life. I think you all are doing a great job and I look forward to many more. I just hope life irons itself out so I get back to making soap! My apologies to the soap challenge hosts and Happy New Year to all!

Heaven's above! You don't need to apologize for life and what it brings you!! Never never need to apologize for not being able to enter a soap. I am just trying to make sure the challenges I do are meeting expectations and are as good as what the forum deserves. Checking in to see if I need to take anything else into consideration or fine-tune and I don't expect anyone to apologize at all. Truly.

Still waiting for three people to vote. Please vote if you haven't already. If you signed up, you can vote, even if you did not submit a soap. I know people announced they would not be entering a soap and so withdrew. They may have withdrawn themselves from voting and so are not checking any longer but I can't tell if they are the missing voters, so I have to let run out to tomorrow.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QZBPSLK

I'm another one that feels the need to apologize for not posting any entry this month. I had good intentions but time just got away from me . . . needed to wrap up some stuff at the office (so I wouldn't feel guilty about taking time off) and make last minute Christmas gifts so that took priority. I have plans for at least 2 high/low water batches while I'm on vacation and promise newbie I will post pics! I also have an idea for the Jan B&W challenge so I'm hoping this week will be a productive week soaping-wise.

Okay folks, we had someone who didn't sign up place votes; I shall assume someone was trying to help us wrap this up but it wasn't helpful at all because it negates the final tally in a way. We can't tell who it was so can't track back and take out their votes. However, even with 25 people voting, the placing didn't change.

First place goes to Judiraz, who has placed quite frequently and is a soaper to reckon with!

Second place goes to Blackdog with the very beautiful outlining.

Third place is a tie, which has stood since at least the 17th voter and goes to Carabou, with her cool dream-like ghost soap, and to Dibbles, with her luscious purple soap.

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 1.04.59 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 1.05.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 1.05.19 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 1.05.08 PM.png

Congratulations to all the winners! I'm glad I couldn't vote, it would have been very hard! Thanks Newbie for adding the winning photos.

I love the challenges. Although I've only tried a couple of them I learn alot with each one because of all the info that's shared along the way.

I'm very math deficient so this one was very intimidating. I know recipes are very personal but I may have tried this one if a recipes with all the math figured out had been used. Besides, I trust all you gurus and your recipes!

Deedles, I'm sorry you didn't participate because of the math!!! If there is ever an issue like that, please ask. I would have been happy to take your recipe and give you back the amounts needed. Please don't even hesitate to ask.

Latest posts

Back