Question about challenges

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no idea you could do that, clicking on the banner. Thanks to the mods for that!

Confession time- we Modmins actually had nothing to do with it. All thanks should go to our head-Admin Angie- she was the one with the awesome idea to set it up that way. :)

IrishLass :)

Don't know how helpful my thoughts will be as I've entered so few of the challenges, but here goes: the challenges don't motivate me to try a new technique. If I like a swirl or design, I'll try it. If I don't like it, I won't try it. I've done the Clyde slide before, succeeded, but it's not a design I'll use again.

If I don't participate in the challenge, I do love to see what everyone else is doing. More importantly, I think it adds a tremendous sense of community to the forum. Therefore, changing the motivation from being a friendly educational challenge to a competition with prizes would ruin everything, and quite possibly change the culture of the forum.

I would like to see some challenges repeated - there are always new members working their way up the soaping skills ladder! Plus, if you take the example of professional sports or arts where somebody is always trying to twirl/run/jump faster/more/fancier....things get a little ridiculous. Take the quadruple jump in ice skating - my spectator eyes don't know a good quad from a bad quad until the commenter tells me! I'd love to see someone re-invent the single jump - and add to the graceful beauty it already has. (Then I won't need some expert to tell me if it was good or not!)

Back