my new Soap Hutch mold!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A related question - has anyone used anything to mechanically vibrate the mold when loading? I was thinking a "vibrating table", like the old football games but with more "omph", might be cool.

Is the idea that the vibration would help it fill up without any gaps or bubbles?

I've requested a quote for one that also has the vertical dividers so you can do swirls, etc. Pretty much like this one:
http://oilandbutter.blogspot.com/2013/01/soaphutch-uber-mold.html

I want mine tall enough so I can do a square log. IDK if I can justify $400, though. :(

I don't think they're all quite that much. Part of the price has to do with how much material it takes to make the mold, and mine was pretty big. It was also a new design; having two separate 10-bar divider sets in one mold is very unusual, so Rich had to engineer that AND make it fit in with everything else. He's a genius, really and truly.

I think people blanch about the cost of a custom made mold (or even a a regular good one that is hand made), but it takes so much thought/work/effort. I am pretty OCD and have gone through various thought processes on various molds/cutters, and have have sort of come to the conclusion that you get what you pay for. Unless: you make soap; make molds/cutters, have gone through the processes of both over time; and, finally, are willing to be open to changes. That is a tough bill to fill. I don't envy the mold/cutters, it must be hard.

If you find one I would love to know about it. I keep thinking about mounting an orbital sander upside down.

There definitely are commercial shakers out there. I was thinking something a little more low tech. Take your standard work table and clamp a motor which swings an imbalanced load. I have motors laying around so I may do that. Small induction motors commonly available do about 1725 RPM, and since there's no real load on these nearly anything will work. The eccentric can be as simple as a pulley with part of the circumference cut away to make a "wedge" shape. That would net a ~28Hz vibration which should be more than enough. A light table or platform could use even an old fan motor, while a heavier workbench might need a 1/4 or 1/2 HP motor to swing a heavy enough weight.

Seems like a "stuff I had in the shed" project ... if only my wife had not made me clean out the shed. :?

I have been stewing on asking this key question? Are you sure cp is going to release without lining or are you going to use mold release such as vasaline or mineral oil. Also do you use Sodium Lactate in all soap and always gel? I exclusively use hdpe molds and cp will not unmold unless I let it sit in the mold for weeks and I find it just to messy to always use mold release. As for cost of hdpe molds, hdpe is very expensive especially in the thickness it takes to make a big mold. Sorry, not trying to be a killjoy, I am just wondering if you know something I do not

Just got notification that my mold will be delivered tomorrow! Now I have to decide what to make and in in which chamber. Today, I need to get a rubber mallet to put this beast together. Maybe I can rig something to make a peacock swirl?

ETA the mold comes with a silicone liner for the bottom. The sides don't need lining. After talking with a few people that have these molds, only one lines the bottom because she damaged her silicone liner for the bottom.

ETA: per convo with Rich, he suggested using a bit of mineral oil for first few batches until the mold becomes "seasoned". JBot, how's your mold doing?

I have been stewing on asking this key question? Are you sure cp is going to release without lining or are you going to use mold release such as vasaline or mineral oil. Also do you use Sodium Lactate in all soap and always gel? I exclusively use hdpe molds and cp will not unmold unless I let it sit in the mold for weeks and I find it just to messy to always use mold release. As for cost of hdpe molds, hdpe is very expensive especially in the thickness it takes to make a big mold. Sorry, not trying to be a killjoy, I am just wondering if you know something I do not

On my HPDE mold I grease the dividers and the sides with mineral oil. I line the bottom with a sheet of baking parchment. Mine is a Cumberland mold and a sheet of baking parchment is the perfect size for the bottom.

Recently I got a can of food-grade silicone lubricant and that worked like a DREAM in unmolding. BTW, I gel, no sodium lactate.

Also, if your dividers have a hole in the top, the perfect thing to use to get a grip to pull them out is one of those giant nails - the ones slightly thicker than a pencil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back