my new Soap Hutch mold!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What an amazing mold! Your HP soap is so incredibly smooth, too. I'll definitely check out Soap Hutch next time I'm in the market for a mold (just got a new 7 lb. loaf mold from WSP, so I'll have to wait a bit...). It sounds like it's well worth the wait!

ETA: per convo with Rich, he suggested using a bit of mineral oil for first few batches until the mold becomes "seasoned". JBot, how's your mold doing?

It's fantastic! I'm ordering another one :-D

I have been stewing on asking this key question? Are you sure cp is going to release without lining or are you going to use mold release such as vasaline or mineral oil. Also do you use Sodium Lactate in all soap and always gel? I exclusively use hdpe molds and cp will not unmold unless I let it sit in the mold for weeks and I find it just to messy to always use mold release. As for cost of hdpe molds, hdpe is very expensive especially in the thickness it takes to make a big mold. Sorry, not trying to be a killjoy, I am just wondering if you know something I do not

I usually use sodium lactate, and I always gel. I haven't tried cold process in it yet, but when I do, unmolding might be easier because I'll have done multiple HP batches, which will help "season" the mold and allow it to release more easily.

You mentioned you use HDPE molds exclusively but don't like using mold release. Does that mean you usually do something other than CP?

Cactuslily, have you tried yours yet?!

Jbot, I haven't even put it together yet. It's mocking me :)
Hoping to soap next week when I'm feeling better. In the meantime, I'm formulating recipes.
Am I the only person who gets overwhelmed with indecision? What recipe? What FO? What color?
So, in the meantime, I formulate, watch videos, and read about all the soaps I'm not making right now...your soap, is beautiful Jbot! Everyone here makes such beautiful soap.

Jbot, I haven't even put it together yet. It's mocking me :)
Hoping to soap next week when I'm feeling better. In the meantime, I'm formulating recipes.
Am I the only person who gets overwhelmed with indecision? What recipe? What FO? What color?
So, in the meantime, I formulate, watch videos, and read about all the soaps I'm not making right now...your soap, is beautiful Jbot! Everyone here makes such beautiful soap.

So. . .have you tried it yet?!

I too can get stuck in "analysis paralysis." When this happens I try to just choose SOMETHING (recipe, FO, color) that I haven't done before. That way, even if it turns out lousy, I have a real-life sample of that soap/scent/color that can help me plan batches in the future.

My biggest issue is actually batch size. If I'm going to get out all my stuff, set it up, and clean it up, well, I want to have more than 2 pounds to show for it! Except that then I'm afraid of a 6-10 pound waste of ingredients.

It would help if I had a dedicated soaping space and my set-up wasn't such a production. But alas, sometimes I need to use my soaping space -- I mean kitchen -- to prepare food.

Hi Jbot, sorry to report I still haven't used it. I haven't soaped at all yet :-( I put together the base, was able to get most configurations together, but I still have so many pieces left! Kind of like putting a ceiling fan up and having extra pieces left...they must go somewhere! The instructions didn't show all the configurations. I couldn't find a video putting it together. Emailed Rich in hopes he can talk me through remaining parts. My mold is smaller than yours. I got the Uber Kate. It's heavy! Using a rubber mallet definately helps me put it together. Excited to see more creations from you using yours!

Hi Jbot, sorry to report I still haven't used it. I haven't soaped at all yet :-( I put together the base, was able to get most configurations together, but I still have so many pieces left! Kind of like putting a ceiling fan up and having extra pieces left...they must go somewhere! The instructions didn't show all the configurations. I couldn't find a video putting it together. Emailed Rich in hopes he can talk me through remaining parts. My mold is smaller than yours. I got the Uber Kate. It's heavy! Using a rubber mallet definately helps me put it together. Excited to see more creations from you using yours!

Because the Uber molds can be configured several different ways, you SHOULD have pieces left over when it's assembled! Some of the pieces will be common to more than one configuration, but many will not. What is the Kate supposed to do? Slab, logs, and also dividers? Can it make logs of different sizes? Does it have pieces that allow you to sub-divide the logs lengthwise for certain designs? (You would pull those out toward the end of your design; they're meant to keep different colors temporarily separate in the mold.)

If you post a picture of the pieces that don't seem to get used in any of the configurations you've put together, perhaps I can help. I've spent a LOT of time playing with mine.

How kind you are! To answer your ?'s: it is a slab, which can be converted into 3 logs. You can place a dam to shorten a log. It also can be 9 bars, or depending on your amount desired, can be larger bars or bars of various sizes. I've seen Kenna from modern soapmaking use hers to do a modified tiger stripe. It's on YouTube. Very cool. Rich had never thought of using pieces like that, so I think you're only limited by your imagination. My health right now is limiting me to only playing around with the pieces right now, but hopefully soon I can actually put it to use! Did you oil the sides of your for the first few batches BTW? Have you CPOP'd with it? Once again, thanks for your kind offer. If I can get my iPad to upload pics, I'll PM them to you.happy soaping!

Soaphutch.com website not very user friendly, by maker Rich, is. Will custom design a mold to your specification. Worth the wait, and when you break down the multi function and quality of the mold, is truly reasonable cost wise.

It's fantastic! I'm ordering another one :-D

I usually use sodium lactate, and I always gel. I haven't tried cold process in it yet, but when I do, unmolding might be easier because I'll have done multiple HP batches, which will help "season" the mold and allow it to release more easily.

You mentioned you use HDPE molds exclusively but don't like using mold release. Does that mean you usually do something other than CP?

Cactuslily, have you tried yours yet?!
I cp almost exclusively. Only hp with impossible to cp fo's, do not usually gel and do not use sodium lactate. I line mine with freezer paper. I do not like mold release on my hp molds because they get sticky and /or oily from it. Plus even with silicone or mineral oil I still have a hard time unmolding. Just hate my molds feeling yucky

I personally dislike HDPE molds except for salt bars. CP sticks like a bugger even with mineral oil which I dislike using. Mine has dividers so I only use them for salt bars and they come out fantastically as long as unmolded while still warm but firm. I much prefer silicone 1000 times over. I know it's a personal preference. I have two HDPE slabs.

I personally dislike HDPE molds except for salt bars. CP sticks like a bugger even with mineral oil which I dislike using. Mine has dividers so I only use them for salt bars and they come out fantastically as long as unmolded while still warm but firm. I much prefer silicone 1000 times over. I know it's a personal preference. I have two HDPE slabs.
I love my hdpe, but have to line them. I do agree soap, loves to stick to hdpe, I have even had it stick when using vaseline, silicone or mineral oil, so I learned to make friends with freezer paper. If I had time to let it sit in the mold for a month or so, after the soap has already shrunk it might release, then try to cut the darn stuff...;-) I am going to follow this as I am very interested to see if it reason does "season" over time and not just get sticky from the release agent. Please let us know

Back