Oily Soap - Rebatch help.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilalsoap

Reaction score
Hi,

I am still fairly new to the HP soap realm. I recently made a double batch of 2 lb HP soap. For some reason my soap got too thick after it cooked all the way through. I realized 10 hours later (after putting it in the molds) it is still very soft and feels really oily (shea butter consistency). When washing my hands it lathers really nicely and washes great but feels greasy to the touch. I want to rebatch this but in unsure how much lye:water measurements I need to add to make it right.

In the recipe I used 18.2 oz of water and 6.8 oz of Lye. How much do I add to the rebatch?

Attached below is my recipe:
Olive oil - 18.2 oz (35%)
Coconut Oil - 15.64 oz (30%)
Shea Butter - 7.8 oz (15%)
Castor Oil - 5.2 oz (10%)
Beeswax - 5.2 oz (10%)

Additives:
Honey - 1 tbs + 1 tbs water
Greek Yogurt- 3 tbs
ROE - 1 oz
Mica Powder - 4 tsp
Titanium Dioxide - 1 tsp + 3tsp water
Sodium citrate - 1.0
Sugar - 3 tsp + 3 tsp water
Kaolin clay - 3 tbsp

Thank you for any tips!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7881.jpeg
    IMG_7881.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, we definitely need the entire recipe, including all additives, to provide assistance.

You said that it "got too thick." That is fairly typical of HP soap, especially at the end of the cook, unless you take extra steps to keep it fluid before pouring. I wouldn't rebatch it just yet. It may just need a few days or even a week to stop feeling oily.

You'll need to post the rest of your ingredients for anyone to be able to help. Oils vary in how much lye is needed, so there is no way to tell without the ingredients what might have gone wrong.
Yes, we definitely need the entire recipe, including all additives, to provide assistance.

You said that it "got too thick." That is fairly typical of HP soap, especially at the end of the cook, unless you take extra steps to keep it fluid before pouring. I wouldn't rebatch it just yet. It may just need a few days or even a week to stop feeling oily.
Thanks for the help. I just updated my post with the whole recipe + additives. Its been 48 hrs and it still feels like shea butter.

Latest posts

Back