Laser printer for labels...right?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a brother laser printer, only prints in black and white but my labels are pretty simple. I buy sheets of sticker/mailing labels, they are whole sheet labels so I can cut them however I want. It works just fine for me :)

So Lindy, can you put sheets of labels in the drawer, and it will print on the labels setting? If so that's good to know for the future or for other people's purchases.

Corinne, I've thought about doing that, but I always have so much trouble getting the label peeled off the paper!

I have a Dell color laser printer that I got for christmas and I love it. Prints my labels like a dream and I can put them in the drawer or feed them individual. It works both ways.

So Lindy, can you put sheets of labels in the drawer, and it will print on the labels setting? If so that's good to know for the future or for other people's purchases.

Corinne, I've thought about doing that, but I always have so much trouble getting the label peeled off the paper!

That's how I do it and as long as I have the setting for label then I don't have any problems at all.

well I have another "toy" I use for my labels too lol. I have a sillouhette cutting machine :)

Corinne, I'm jealous!

Well I had been putting my labels in the drawer. Maybe I should have been feeding them through the back instead? Oh well...got the new one set up just have to run some test prints. I will be using y'alls tips.

I absolutely love this machine. I can design anything I want and it cuts it for me! I was just amazed at how it will print my designs on my printer and then cut on the sillouette and it knows exactly where to cut lol. This was all I asked for for christmas from my hubby and I got it. I would highly suggest it to anyone who wants to do their own labels

I absolutely love this machine. I can design anything I want and it cuts it for me! I was just amazed at how it will print my designs on my printer and then cut on the sillouette and it knows exactly where to cut lol. This was all I asked for for christmas from my hubby and I got it. I would highly suggest it to anyone who wants to do their own labels

I recently ordered a silhouette because I have been hearing rave reviews from friends who are really into scrap booking. I thought it would be great for soap boxes and cute packaging. What kind of label paper can you use in the machine? How is it different than just running a sheet of precut labels through a printer? It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm thinking I probably don't realize the full potential :)

I hope no one minds me thread hopping cause this one so far seems to be where I need to be for my question, but, what about a Photo Printer like my HP Photosmart all-in-one? I guess I can assume its and inkjet, but I cant find that specific info on the website. And maybe an explanation of why one is prefferred more over the other would be nice like quality of colors and overall print, ink/ print durability in wet enviroments. I'd be making labels for liquid soap, so they don't come off before a shower like with bar soaps.

I have not had a good experience with laser printers. The color laser printers are expensive and prone to break downs for me. The last printer I bought was a cheap HP top loading printer. The color is great and if it breaks, it was cheap, so I can afford to buy a new one. There are ways of sealing or covering the print from an inkjet to keep moisture from smearing it.

I'm in the market for a new printer....

I was going to go with an inkjet - they had an HP on clearance, and I've always had good experiences with HP. Plus the ink isn't going to break the bank. Another soaping friend also uses an HP inkjet (with waterproof labels) and has had no problems - she is NOT computer savvy and I actually installed her printer for her. AND - she has a storefront and is printing off labels all the time.

So I was pretty much sold on an inkjet because for the past year she`s had nothing but good things to say (other than she can`t figure out the fax line lol).

But after reading I was thinking about a laser, also they have a Brother on Clearance - and I liked all the brother's that I played with. My dad had a Brother that I used a few times for printing labels when I ran out of ink and lived on an acreage 40 minutes from town. Toner was reasonable and supposedly lasts a lot longer - but cheaper to buy online, though not genuine brother, its "brother compatible".

Then I looked at labels. I was using standard Avery labels - that aren't waterproof. And I see that waterproof ones for inkjet and for laser are both quite pricey.

Am I reading correctly that I can waterproof them myself with some kind of sealer-spray stuff? It sounds like other soapers have had good luck with this. I won't waterproof the actual soap labels, but for lotions and lip balms, salves I was thinking about it.

I've always gone with black and white labels to go with my barn-ish/handmade theme, but now that we've moved from the land of rustic and into the city - I'm going to brighten up my labels and I really want them to look and feel good - good quality. Bright colour. Catch your eye labels. My whole system is getting an upgrade. I need an upgrade.

So.... I guess what I'm asking - is the most economical way to do it in the long run, seems like a laser. And water proofing myself. Only because toner lasts quite a long time. But others have had good experiences with inkjet. And reviews on the inkjet the HP, are all good saying that it has great staying power and also lasts a long time between ink changes.

I'm not planning on over-doing it with colour. Just a few graphics and things to make the labels stand out, pop a little more.

Does anyone have any tips to help me make this decision a bit easier?

I'm one of those people who takes forever to make decisions. Put it to you this way, I've got a soap order I've been modifying and changing for 10 days now.. ;) And I better get on it before the sales change.....again.

Laser will not need waterproofing provided the labels themselves will not disintegrate. Inkjet has a lower entry point. Kinda depends on how much printing you need to do. If it's infrequent I'd go with inkjet and the "waterproof" labels. They work very good for me.

I am also a fan of a good inkjet printer and waterproof labels. I have an Epson Workforce printer (can't think of the number off hand) and I use the waterproof full-sheet labels from onlinelabels. I can get 3-4 labels per sheet and they look beautiful.

I have an inkjet and a laser printer. There is a difference in how they print. My laser images are much sharper and more true to color. However, my laser printer gives me nothing but fits because I just can't figure out how to get it to print correctly and lined up correctly so I use my inkjet better right now.

Latest posts

Back