Ut oh!!! I messed up, can it be fixed?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barefoot Farm Girl

Reaction score
I did a really dumb thing and messed up on the recipe. I was making goat milk soap for the first time, and everything was going perfectly. The milk didn’t scorch in the lye, the measurements for the oils were almost perfect pours, no sitting here with an eyedropper trying to remove 5 grams, until I lost it. I misread the amount of the olive oil and put in the same amount as the total amount of oils.

The recipe should have been:
5% super fat
269.68 g liquid
134.84 g lye
239.06 g coconut oil (76 degree)
239.06 g lard
430.32 g olive oil
47.81 g castor oil
I put in 956.25 g olive oil!!!!!

Can I and how do I rebatch this? I can’t seem to wrap my head around the concept, can I get this explained to me like I was 5???

I’m so bummed, it’s such a pretty looking soap!

You will need enough extra lye to saponify the additional olive oil. 956 - 430 = 526g OO.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 2.21.30 PM.png

I've never rebatched, but if someone can tell you how to do that, just mix up a further 140g water with 69g lye as per the soap calculator, and then add that to the mixture. You will then have enough lye to saponify all the OO. Incidentally - sometimes rebatch requires a little additional water but I will eave it for someone else to advise you on that.

You will need enough extra lye to saponify the additional olive oil. 956 - 430 = 526g OO.
View attachment 77263

I've never rebatched, but if someone can tell you how to do that, just mix up a further 140g water with 69g lye as per the soap calculator, and then add that to the mixture. You will then have enough lye to saponify all the OO. Incidentally - sometimes rebatch requires a little additional water but I will eave it for someone else to advise you on that.

Thanks @KiwiMoose -Do I make up the difference in the other oils also?

Thanks @KiwiMoose -Do I make up the difference in the other oils also?
I wouldn’t, because it will end up a super huge batch, and require further calculations. This way you will have a high percentage of OO in your recipe which is not necessarily a bad thing. It’s not the recipe you planned, but it will still be ok.

I wouldn’t, because it will end up a super huge batch, and require further calculations. This way you will have a high percentage of OO in your recipe which is not necessarily a bad thing. It’s not the recipe you planned, but it will still be ok.
Thank you! I’m so upset with myself!

I did a really dumb thing and messed up on the recipe. I was making goat milk soap for the first time, and everything was going perfectly. The milk didn’t scorch in the lye, the measurements for the oils were almost perfect pours, no sitting here with an eyedropper trying to remove 5 grams, until I lost it. I misread the amount of the olive oil and put in the same amount as the total amount of oils.

The recipe should have been:
5% super fat
269.68 g liquid
134.84 g lye
239.06 g coconut oil (76 degree)
239.06 g lard
430.32 g olive oil
47.81 g castor oil
I put in 956.25 g olive oil!!!!!

Can I and how do I rebatch this? I can’t seem to wrap my head around the concept, can I get this explained to me like I was 5???

I’m so bummed, it’s such a pretty looking soap!
@DeeAnna @AliOop any advice on the process of rebatching this boo boo? I’m terrified I’m going to make it worse out of ignorance. Information overload happening here in my poor brain.

Kiwi has given you sound answers -- do a rebatch and add sufficient NaOH to the rebatch to fix the soap you've got. I also agree with Kiwi about not getting fancy with adding more fat. Just add more alkali to fix the problem and make a useful soap.

Like Kiwi, I haven't rebatched soap in years, so I'm not a good source for the best way to do that.

Carolyn ( @cmzaha ) rebatches in the oven with good results. Here's one of her comments about rebatching: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/first-time-making-soap-can-this-be-saved.90345/#post-969886

Another thread on oven rebatching: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/oven-rebatch-cp.77457/

Kiwi has given you sound answers -- do a rebatch and add sufficient NaOH to the rebatch to fix the soap you've got. I also agree with Kiwi about not getting fancy with adding more fat. Just add more alkali to fix the problem and make a useful soap.

Like Kiwi, I haven't rebatched soap in years, so I'm not a good source for the best way to do that.

Carolyn ( @cmzaha ) rebatches in the oven with good results. Here's one of her comments about rebatching: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/first-time-making-soap-can-this-be-saved.90345/#post-969886

Another thread on oven rebatching: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/oven-rebatch-cp.77457/
Thank you! By no means was I questioning the advise, just the how do I do it! Thanks for the links, I’m terrible at finding stuff! Really appreciate all of you taking the time to help!!!!

@KiwiMoose Thank you a million times! The rebatch came out better than I expected!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
So curious minds want to know -- what method did you use to rebatch the soap? :)

It did turn out nice -- well done, you!
I’m not sure how it came out so nice, I did everything wrong! I cut it into smal chunks (what a sticky mess that was!) and threw it in the crockpot. After an hour I realized I did not add any water. I was so annoyed that I was messing up again I just grabbed the jug or distilled water and just dumped in what felt like 9 ounces of water. I angrily wisked the heck out of it, and measured out the additional lye and water. I figured I was just wasting ingredients and was going to toss the whole thing anyways, so I just poured it in and whisked the living heck out of it. Threw in the rest of the FO and plopped it into the molds. The soap gods continue to smile and bless my ignorance.

I’m not sure how it came out so nice, I did everything wrong! I cut it into smal chunks (what a sticky mess that was!) and threw it in the crockpot. After an hour I realized I did not add any water. I was so annoyed that I was messing up again I just grabbed the jug or distilled water and just dumped in what felt like 9 ounces of water. I angrily wisked the heck out of it, and measured out the additional lye and water. I figured I was just wasting ingredients and was going to toss the whole thing anyways, so I just poured it in and whisked the living heck out of it. Threw in the rest of the FO and plopped it into the molds. The soap gods continue to smile and bless my ignorance.
@Barefoot Farm Girl , for me, this beginning soapmaking experience has required flexibility and humility. But, I have to say, you've shown tenacity in spades ! Great job finding your way out of a crazy situation and to a nice bar of soap! 🏅

Latest posts

Back