How much soap do you make per day or week?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christinak

Reaction score
All of you soap-heads who are already selling are probably making alot I'd imagine....but how about the entrepreneurs who are stocking up for your first craft fair or market?

1) Do you feel like you are doing well selling online or do you like doing fairs better?

2) How many bars do you usually take with you if you are doing a show during the summer and during a holiday season?

I try to make 2 loaves a day, it's so much fun I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't! I'm almost out of FO so I hope it gets here soon or I'll crack! I did just make a loaf w/o FO because the cocoa butter smelled sooooo good. I'll post pics in a sec.

I try to average 4-5 loaves a week.. I'm running low on certain supplies (like palm oil.. gasp!) and so I need to wait until Friday (yay tomorrow!) to get some more and maybe some more FO's. I'm running into a bit of soaper's block with the FO's I have now. I need a few more to make some blends etc. I'm building up my stock now for my craft fair in May and I'm running out of time to make soaps that will be cured in time for the fair (May 4th). I'm also running out of places to put it all. I really need a good sized curing rack. Desperately!

Well, I am not stocking up for anything nor do I sell, but I am currently making 2 or 3 one pound batches a week.

Some weeks I'm awesome and make 12+ 5lb loaves (four loaves a batch, so three soaping sessions), but some weeks I slack and focus on other things like lip balm or lotion (my new obsession).

Having to make the same soap over and over is a bit tedious, but it's worth it. I'd say half my sales come from online (during the holidays, the majority is from online), and half are word of mouth.

If you're looking for a curing rack, I got a nice $50 one from Target. Just the stainless steel shelf type. But all you have to do it cut up cardboard boxes and put them on the shelves and it works perfectly. I've got about 300 to 400 bars curing at the one I bought, and will prolly get a second at some point soon.

Wow, that is a lot of soap! I wonder if I will ever get to the point where I will be making even half that much :) I am also interested in making some lip balms by the end of the year as I would like to have some for Yule gifts.

I make anywhere between 12 and 15 pounds a week. I know by some standards not a high amount but if I could soap full time that would be a dream.

I've been doing 2 pounds a week bit I'm running out to quickly . I'm going to up it to 4 pounds a week to see if it helps my stock last a tad longer

Gosh what a lot of soap you guys make, im at work during the week, gardening, so i tend to wait until its my week off, every three months. I have made two 2lb batches this week.

I was making four/five 5lb batches a week. Now I make about one/two 5lb batches a week. Work and sewing seems to have gotten in the way. But I keep adding to my soaping oils (basic, FOs, EOs, Butters...etc.) And now I am adding to my fabric stock. If I didn't have enough room before I definately won't have any room now.

I do not sell my soaps. Currently I am making about 2-3 1lb batch per month. Usually home quite late after work and weekend, I am usually staying over at my bf place. Thus, I will only make soap on the weekend which I am staying home.

Hi everyone. This is my first post ever on a forum, so drum roll please! Some weeks I don't get to make any soap because I have a 2 year old with me most of the time. When my husband is able to mind the kids I'll usually make a 5lb batch and sometimes a 33oz sample batch as well. I use the smaller batch for experiments. I'm preparing for my first market in May and I'm wondering how many bars I should take. Maybe 200? Does anyone have any idea? Thanks!

I've been doing 2 pounds a week bit I'm running out to quickly . I'm going to up it to 4 pounds a week to see if it helps my stock last a tad longer

It's always fun to make more, more, more :) Do you sell somewhere? I'd love to look at your store!

Hi everyone. This is my first post ever on a forum, so drum roll please! Some weeks I don't get to make any soap because I have a 2 year old with me most of the time. When my husband is able to mind the kids I'll usually make a 5lb batch and sometimes a 33oz sample batch as well. I use the smaller batch for experiments. I'm preparing for my first market in May and I'm wondering how many bars I should take. Maybe 200? Does anyone have any idea? Thanks!

Well I am totally honored that you chose MY question for your FIRST post! :razz:

I, too, am wondering about how much stock to take to a show...but nobody is answering that part of my question, lol!

On average, we make 14 six pound loafs every week. In addition, we are producing body butter, foaming hand soaps, lip balms, sugar scrubs, and massage oil. We keep a heavy inventory to assure we have sufficient amounts to stock new retail outlets.

Last edited:
Christina K,

Yes, it's about time I got with the 21st Century. I've even been on Facebook recently too! I hope someone answers the market question too, otherwise I'll just have to soap like crazy to make sure I have enough. I had a small stall at my daughter's school open day last year and the soaps just flew off the table. I would guess I sold around 100 bars. People raved about soaps that I thought were just average (compared to some of my online soap idols), so I must be on the right track. It's such an exciting process all the way from the making, cutting to selling and using.

I've read that you should take enough stock for 10% of the amount of people expect to be at the show. For example, if there's 3,000 people coming, you want to bring enough for 300 people. You can expect a smaller number than 10% to buy your product.
Serenity, 200 bars will make a nice table presentation so if you don't know how many people are going and it's a local craft fair I think somewhere between 100-200 bars would be a great place to start.

Back