How much fragrance oil to use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMack

Reaction score
I’m just getting back into soap making after a year off. Previously I used essential oils but I’m considering fragrance oils to see if they last longer. My recipes give the amount of EO but I’d it the same amount I would use for FO? I made one batch with FO and it still smells so lovely but I can’t remember how much I used!

Thank you

The supplier you buy your FOs from should have an IFRA sheet available that will give you the safe usage rate for each individual FO. Most people seem to use 3-6%. 6% is approximately 1 ounce PPO. Keep in mind that a fragrance oil might have an IFRA usage rate listed as 100%. This is the skin safe rate, but obviously you wouldn’t want to use that much. If a fragrance oil doesn’t stick or is too light at 5-6%, I won’t buy it again.

I’m just getting back into soap making after a year off. Previously I used essential oils but I’m considering fragrance oils to see if they last longer. My recipes give the amount of EO but I’d it the same amount I would use for FO? I made one batch with FO and it still smells so lovely but I can’t remember how much I used!

Thank you
I usually use 5 to 6%. I agree with you though on "how much," I've always had a hard time trying to decide on the percentage. Sadly, there are only the IFRA guidelines that will tell you what the max usage is, but nothing that tells what percent will produce a light or too strong of a scent. It seems to be trial and error unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back