EO % ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dOttY

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone would be as kind to let me know the usage % for EO's? I've only soaped with FO's.

A few months back I bought a soap from a local market, it was 'Spearmint', I'm unsure if it was an EO or FO, but I'm thinking an EO would give off a more potent aroma? This soap was very fragrant and I fell in love with the scent. So I'm keen to give the spearmint EO a try.

Thanks in advance :)

From what I understand, it's roughly .8 to 1oz PPO. I could be wrong, though, but that's what I've been using. A bit less actually, since I CPHP and you don't need quite as much with HP. EO's sure can get expensive!

Btw, love your soaps Dotty :)

Thanks a bunch. And thanks for your kind words :)

Personally I'm not a fan of many EO scents... Spearmint sure is an exception though!!

Yea, spearmint is lovely. :) I think the amount you use varies per EO, too.

Ah, I just found this online, too:

2 1/2% is a good standard for most fragrances. 3% when using the weaker scents. 2% if using strong scents, particularly potent essential oils. In fact some essential oils, such as lemon myrtle and other ones, should not be used at more than 1%. Please use your supplier's recommendations when formulating your scents.

In general I use 2% ... the same as I do with FO's the first time I use them.

I know from experience to use less of some EO ... like peppermint, due to how strong it stays in my CP recipe.

Depends on the EO.

First off, guidlines for safe usage rates may be found here: http://www.ifraorg.org/

You want to use spicy EOs like clove and cinnamon sparingly due to possible sensitivity issues. IFRA recommended use rates are very low for these. In higher % they can also cause your soap to accelerate or seize.

Benzoin and peru balsam sensitivities are fairly common. Also should be used in very low concentrations if at all.

Citrus doesn't hold up to lye very well so best to use in concentrations of 4%, possibly more in your recipe (1 oz PPO) Citrus EOs are known photo sensitizers but in a wash off product like soap this is less of a concern. They are also best supported/anchored by EOs like lemongrass or litsea cubeba (may chang) which are not from citrus fruits but smell very citrusy and hold up in soap better.

Some EOs will take over in a blend - mints for example. Patchouli would be another.

All that said, don't be intimidated. They aren't any harder to use than FOs. You do need to educate yourself but your posts suggest that you're very conscientious in that regard. So take the plunge and enjoy!

judymoody said:
Depends on the EO.

First off, guidlines for safe usage rates may be found here: http://www.ifraorg.org/

You want to use spicy EOs like clove and cinnamon sparingly due to possible sensitivity issues. IFRA recommended use rates are very low for these. In higher % they can also cause your soap to accelerate or seize.

Benzoin and peru balsam sensitivities are fairly common. Also should be used in very low concentrations if at all.

Citrus doesn't hold up to lye very well so best to use in concentrations of 4%, possibly more in your recipe (1 oz PPO) Citrus EOs are known photo sensitizers but in a wash off product like soap this is less of a concern. They are also best supported/anchored by EOs like lemongrass or litsea cubeba (may chang) which are not from citrus fruits but smell very citrusy and hold up in soap better.

Some EOs will take over in a blend - mints for example. Patchouli would be another.

All that said, don't be intimidated. They aren't any harder to use than FOs. You do need to educate yourself but your posts suggest that you're very conscientious in that regard. So take the plunge and enjoy!
Exactly. You cannot make a generalization as not all EO's have the same strength. With that said I can't use benzoin at all. It makes me itch.

Fantastic information here! I use both fos and eos in my CP and have found that it does depend on the eo with how much to use. Citrus I definitely use at a higher percentage, although lemon scented tea tree is very strong and just a 'titch' will do (ask me how I know :shock: )

I have just bought some tolu/peru balsam to try so I will be very careful on how much to add to both my soap and balm I plan on making. Off to check out that link now judymoody, thanks :D

I anchor my citrus EO's by adding cornflour (pre mixed in a little oil) to the soap batter. I add 3 tbsp of cornflour to my 1500 gm soap.

In my orange poppy seed soap, I think the patchouli also helps to anchor the sweet orange EO. I've been told that works because sweet orange is a high note and patchouli is a low note.

Latest posts

Back