Hello soap world!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd eventually like to sell my soaps and balms.
Go to the Healthy Porcupine site linked above to see what your future looks like! šŸ˜ They emphasize the "all natural" aspect of their tallow soaps and balms.

Scenting with Essential Oils has a bit of a learning curve. Use the Search feature at the upper right corner of this page to search threads that discuss essential oil use. You can try using some of the EO fragrances on that site... Lemongrass for one.

GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN!

Go to the Healthy Porcupine site linked above to see what your future looks like! šŸ˜ They emphasize the "all natural" aspect of their tallow soaps and balms.

Scenting with Essential Oils has a bit of a learning curve. Use the Search feature at the upper right corner of this page to search threads that discuss essential oil use. You can try using some of the EO fragrances on that site... Lemongrass for one.

GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN!
Thank you so much!

I've only made three batches so far. 100% tallow and EOs.
I saw them and I liked what I saw! Well done. Keep up the good work!
I'm debating whether to add some coconut oil for bubbles and possibly trying a FO
I just posted my well-balanced basic tallow recipe on the No Lather in Soap thread for another tallow soap maker. It's rare to get tallow soap makers here. Now we have 2 on the same day!

TIP: A little coconut oil and castor oil are ideal to boost lather without adding a lot of expense to the final product. Plus both oils can be sourced locally at Costco or the grocery store for the coconut and the pharmacy or health food store for the castor. :thumbup:

I just posted my well-balanced basic tallow recipe on the No Lather in Soap thread for another tallow soap maker. It's rare to get tallow soap makers here. Now we have 2 on the same day!

TIP: A little coconut oil and castor oil are ideal to boost lather without adding a lot of expense to the final product. Plus both oils can be sourced locally at Costco or the grocery store for the coconut and the pharmacy or health food store for the castor. :thumbup:
Thank you! Yes I've worked on a tallow balm for a few months and it's a miracle worker for me. So I thought I'd give soap making a go and see if tallow soap keeps my skin less dry especially in winter. I added honey in my second batch hoping it would help with bubbles/suds if not I'll move on to Coconut and castor oils. I just want to.make products that are as "natural" as possible to help folks get away from big Corp soaps and lotions. Back to the basics. Making products that work and are wholesome is rewarding!

EOs are so expensive right now so I'm debating whether to make a couple bars that use fragrance for folks that want a stronger scent.

I added honey in my second batch hoping it would help with bubbles/suds
To my mind, honey doesn't help with bubbles much. Also, it is a heater and not worth the trouble. It may cause the batch to volcano after molding up and insulating. Plus, I don't like having to soap cool when it comes to tallow/lard soaps that are better soaped at 120-135Ā°.

TIP: Warm the honey with an equal amount of water (from the batch) and add it to the warmed oils. SB one full minute before adding the lye solution.

EOs are so expensive right now
Yes. Whether you use EOs or FOs it adds to the bottom line costs. BUT. As we're so fond of saying on SMF, fragrance sells! You can get the best of both worlds from WSP's EO/FO Blends. (Use the drop down menu to find all the blends in one place, Then search by their number to learn more about them). Watch for sales to get the best price, then just by a few of their "best sellers" to try.

For price and quality, I buy my EOs from Sun Pure Botanicals, a small woman-owned company from NM that have been in business for at least 20 years that i know of. They're a good company to do business with. Shipping is quick and sometimes FREE. In all those years I never had a problem with them except once, when they scent me a 16 oz bottle of an EO I didn't order instead of the French Lavender I did order. It was replaced promptly with an apology for the screw up.

To my mind, honey doesn't help with bubbles much. Also, it is a heater and not worth the trouble. It may cause the batch to volcano after molding up and insulating. Plus, I don't like having to soap cool when it comes to tallow/lard soaps that are better soaped at 120-135Ā°.

TIP: Warm the honey with an equal amount of water (from the batch) and add it to the warmed oils. SB one full minute before adding the lye solution.

Yes. Whether you use EOs or FOs it adds to the bottom line costs. BUT. As we're so fond of saying on SMF, fragrance sells! You can get the best of both worlds from WSP's EO/FO Blends. (Use the drop down menu to find all the blends in one place, Then search by their number to learn more about them). Watch for sales to get the best price, then just by a few of their "best sellers" to try.

For price and quality, I buy my EOs from Sun Pure Botanicals, a small woman-owned company from NM that have been in business for at least 20 years that i know of. They're a good company to do business with. Shipping is quick and sometimes FREE. In all those years I never had a problem with them except once, when they scent me a 16 oz bottle of an EO I didn't order instead of the French Lavender I did order. It was replaced promptly with an apology for the screw up.
Thank you again so much! I may try your recipe for more bubbles. Is 10% coconut ok? Scent is important! Do people tend to look for EOs over FOs?

Do people tend to look for EOs over FOs?
Yes, some people do prefer EOs but the crowds that cruise farmers markets and seasonal events tend to be drawn to irresistible FOs, like anything with Vanilla.

But you don't have to go with either one or the other. The one event I did, I sold out of my 50/50 lavender/anise EO blend. BUT. Another customer came back a few times cuz he had a hard time choosing between MMS's Tahitian Vanilla and Warm Vanilla Sugar (if remember correctly). Both Best Sellers. He went with the Tahitian that I renamed Bora Bora. šŸ˜

TBH, That was a long time ago. I sold $400 worth of soap in 4 hours at $5 a bar; a dozen bars of each of 8 fragrances. ;)

Yes, some people do prefer EOs but the crowds that cruise farmers markets and seasonal events tend to be drawn to irresistible FOs, like anything with Vanilla.

But you don't have to go with either one or the other. The one event I did, I sold out of my 50/50 lavender/anise EO blend. BUT. Another customer came back a few times cuz he had a hard time choosing between MMS's Tahitian Vanilla and Warm Vanilla Sugar (if remember correctly). Both Best Sellers. He went with the Tahitian that I renamed Bora Bora. šŸ˜

TBH, That was a long time ago. I sold $400 worth of soap in 4 hours at $5 a bar; a dozen bars of each of 8 fragrances. ;)
Thank you! I'm going to try the recipe you left for tallow, coconut and castor oil tonight.

I started a thread earlier today asking experienced soap.makers for how long they experimented before selling soap. No replies yet.

Still debating whether to try FOs as I know scent sells.

Tried your tallow recipe Zany. It traced super fast. I kept stirring with a spatula incase it was a false trace. Couldn't use the SB due to thickness. That was the first time I worked at higher Temps. Used lemongrass and grapefruit EO. Covered to gel. Fingers crossed!

Thank you! I'm going to try the recipe you left for tallow, coconut and castor oil tonight.

I started a thread earlier today asking experienced soap.makers for how long they experimented before selling soap. No replies yet.

Still debating whether to try FOs as I know scent sells.
Hi and welcome! I didnā€™t see your other thread but thought I would answer here. Iā€™ve been soaping for 16+ years, and I experimented and perfected my formulas for a year before I started selling. I spent time studying the qualities of different fatty acids to determine what I wanted my soap to do. Once you settle on a basic formula, it takes a long time to make sure itā€™s going to behave with different scent combos, colorants, etc. I also gave away a lot of product along with surveys so I could learn what others liked/didnā€™t like about my soap and other products. It also takes time to design attractive packaging (so important!) and to market yourself. Then the actual business side of a soap business is a whole other animal! It will consume your life.

All this to say: donā€™t rush things. The ones who jump in quickly generally donā€™t last. Take your time to be sure youā€™re fully prepared.

Hi and welcome! I didnā€™t see your other thread but thought I would answer here. Iā€™ve been soaping for 16+ years, and I experimented and perfected my formulas for a year before I started selling. I spent time studying the qualities of different fatty acids to determine what I wanted my soap to do. Once you settle on a basic formula, it takes a long time to make sure itā€™s going to behave with different scent combos, colorants, etc. I also gave away a lot of product along with surveys so I could learn what others liked/didnā€™t like about my soap and other products. It also takes time to design attractive packaging (so important!) and to market yourself. Then the actual business side of a soap business is a whole other animal! It will consume your life.

All this to say: donā€™t rush things. The ones who jump in quickly generally donā€™t last. Take your time to be sure youā€™re fully prepared.
Thank you so much for your feedback! It definitely takes patience and plenty of research. Messed up my first batch last night. Mistakes are costly haha! Will try again this evening though. My first three batches were a breeze. It's definitely a learning curve.

Thank you so much for your feedback! It definitely takes patience and plenty of research. Messed up my first batch last night. Mistakes are costly haha! Will try again this evening though. My first three batches were a breeze. It's definitely a learning curve.
This is my latest batch. Thought it had blended but apparently not. Will unmold it later and slice. My first big mistake.

Attachments

• 20231208_151714.jpg
    20231208_151714.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I agree with Marie, you are putting the cart before the horse. I wouldn't even be worrying what scent sells the best, when you have to perfect your soap. You said you have only made 3 batches so far, you have a long long way to go, selling should be the last thing on your mind, just concentrate on how to make it.

I agree with Marie, you are putting the cart before the horse. I wouldn't even be worrying what scent sells the best, when you have to perfect your soap. You said you have only made 3 batches so far, you have a long long way to go, selling should be the last thing on your mind, just concentrate on how to make it.
Thank you!

This is my latest batch. Thought it had blended but apparently not. Will unmold it later and slice. My first big mistake.
The top of the loaf looks bad but the inside is ok. Passed the zap test. Anyone have any clues as to what happened? Thanks

Attachments

• 20231208_161000.jpg
    20231208_161000.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_151714.jpg
    20231208_151714.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_161157.jpg
    20231208_161157.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_161403.jpg
    20231208_161403.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I wouldn't think so. I've had honey spots before and it's never been a problem. But I've never had large rivers like that. Can you shave it off the top?
Yes once cured I'll cut it off. I've had a couple batches that are off just a bit. I'm wondering if it's my scale and I'm not getting an accurate measurement. It's an older digital scale.

Yes once cured I'll cut it off. I've had a couple batches that are off just a bit. I'm wondering if it's my scale and I'm not getting an accurate measurement. It's an older digital scale.
Are you using grams ?

Latest posts

Back