Third Time Lucky Lavender?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Vicki C here a pic at 4 weeks, and the same soap at 12 weeks: You can see how the discolouration has spread from the darker coloured parts of the soap. And it also weeps oil from those parts too.

That's how the soap I colored with rose clay turned out. The pink part of the swirl turned rancid and that orange rancidity eventually discolored the nearby not-pink parts. I didn't pick up on it at first because the rancid discoloration was disguised by the rose clay. The odor was more of a clue for awhile than the color change. It was just ... ewww.

That's how the soap I colored with rose clay turned out. The pink part of the swirl turned rancid and that orange rancidity eventually discolored the nearby not-pink parts. I didn't pick up on it at first because the rancid discoloration was disguised by the rose clay. The odor was more of a clue for awhile than the color change. It was just ... ewww.
I wonder about rose clay. I think it is in general kaolin clay that is colored pink after it has been mined with iron oxide. The language in the vendors’ descriptions is not clear to me - but Brambleberry lists the INCI as
  • Ingredients (INCI Name): Kaolinite, Iron Oxide
Which makes it sound like there are in fact two ingredients, not just kaolin that is naturally tinted. I don’t have a problem with using iron oxide in soap, and generally don’t have a problem that “rose kaolin” might be kaolin that has been colored with iron oxide. But maybe the kaolin that you used was contaminated with metal that caused the rancidity? Do you have a theory?
I wonder about the purple mica, too. Contaminated somehow?

Latest posts

Back