April SMF Soap Challenge, Hanger Swirl Petra Style

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that was very difficult to narrow down my vote, I really felt like I had to leave out some beautiful soap.
Steve you are like me we missed the mark, but every time I scrolled past your soap I'd hesitate and think how pleasant it looked.

^^^^ I agree LisaAnne! It's so hard to shut out the design and focus on technique. Each entry has it's own beautiful personality and I'd be proud to have made any/all of them!

Phew!! Voting was hard again this month. Must have scrolled up and down a millions times!! Well done to everyone!!

Thanks LP for an awesome challenge! Your tutorial video was brilliant - I'm not looking forward to hosting next time it's my turn after you've set the tutorial bar so high!!

Thanks Krista, I tried to leave the light on but then the automatic fan kicks in to cool the oven :(. I have to turn the oven off at the electric switch or its cold in 5 minutes. You should have seen the horror on my face when I first realised that happened:shock:

I know!! My brand new beautiful oven does that too. Felt like taking it back. I've been using an old oven we had in our temporary kitchen.
Thank you for the great idea about turning the new one off at the safety switch!

Voting as usual was difficult. So many very nice entries again.

Thanks once again for the challenge, I don't think I am done with this one. I'm now thinking more and more along the lines of high / low water and the colors for the swirl. The different weights of the colored and uncolored soaps caused me to have several the "submarined" on me so a little TD of light yellow for a base color in the future. But I ramble....

Last edited:
Never mind i found it and voted. Some very lovely designs and great colors. I tried to keep foremost in my voting, the way the design should look. Even with that it was difficult making the 3 choices. Great work everyone!

Did I miss the voting. I have the password, but no link to where to vote?

Upping my post count so I can hopefully compete next month.

Lard, coconut oil, shea, castor, and olive oil (I think, dont have my notes on have)

IMG_20160423_100305125

Traced fast and I ended up with pudding. I was able to use squeeze bottles for the tilt with pounding to force the stripes over.

Kings gold mica and activated charcoal for the stripes (wanted a monarch butterfly), blue lab color for the base. Lavender fo.

My second try

Olive oil, shea, coconut, and castor (I think, again the notes)
Uncolored base (forgot to color it), peach mica and tulip lab color on the stripes.

My trace was just between medium and light. I added too much lab color which thinned out the pink alot. The result was almost angel wings except the my top layer broke through and muddled the wings.

Oooohhh. I love the drama of the pinks BattleGnome! I'm a sucker for pink so that's right up my alley, lol. I can also see where you were going with the monarch butterfly. Beautiful soap!

I love your colour combinations battle gnome and the wispiness of your red swirl.

This was a fun challenge - thanks LP!

Congratulations to the winners. Your entries were all spot on, and were excellent representations of this technique.

I've said this before but one of the things I like about this technique is that even if you don't nail it, the soap ends up pretty in the end. Well done all - the entries were fabulous! Looking forward to see what May has in store for us.

I have every intention of trying this technique again, one my life slows down just a little bit. The winners deserve all the praise we can give; it was not a simple challenge. Well done, winners. Well done, entrants. And thank you, lionprincess, for a great challenge.

Wow, thanks so much everyone. I'm in complete surprise - I've never won anything before and feel completely humbled. You are all such an amazing and talented group of soapers. I absolutely loved everyone's entries and feel that everyone was a winner.

LP, thankyou so much. You made this challenge possible for everyone with your stunningly concise and beautiful video. You picked up details I never would have noticed and made everything seem manageable. I appreciate all the effort all of you have put into running the challenges. It's been so much fun, thank you :)

Latest posts

Back