ENTRY THREAD for the January 2024 SMF Challenge – Mini Drop[Mini Drip] Swirl Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations to everyone who got soap made for this challenge! I thought It was a good learning experience, especially on the finer points of working with soap at the emulsion stage, which I have failed at before this.

@MichaelP I marveled as soon as I saw your soap that you had made it using Cracklin’ Birch! I recognized the color of the base, but all I ever got with that FO is instant soap on a stick. Do you have a secret you can share?

@Cindy D your ambitious use of rainbow colors against sky blue is beautiful. Your use of light behind the soap was a delightful surprise! I wonder how many of us have spent time in the kitchen since then holding up our soap slivers up to the light?

@MichaelP I marveled as soon as I saw your soap that you had made it using Cracklin’ Birch! I recognized the color of the base, but all I ever got with that FO is instant soap on a stick. Do you have a secret you can share?
@ScentimentallyYours ... I definitely didn't have acceleration. My oils were at 85 degrees F, Lye was at 90 degrees F. After adding the two I gently swirled with a spatula and then SB'd with 1-2 second pulses until emulsion which probably wasn't more than 3 or 4 total pulses. Divided up batter into containers for colorants, added colorants and mixed with spatula's. Then I added the Cracklin' Birch to each of the colorants. I immediately stirred with spatula once I added to the colored batter, not allowing the FO to sit unmixed in the batter for more than a second or two. Oh, my recipe was 40% lard, 35% OO, 20%CO, 5% Caster Oil, and 33% NaOH solution. colorants were from Mad Mica. Hope this helps!

Again, a fun and learning monthly challenge! I'm already looking forward to the next one. Happy soaping everyone!!!

Latest posts

Back