AArgh!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieSpinne

Reaction score
Goats-milk + fast trace FO + corrugated plastic mold = self immolating soap?

Seriously... the goatsmilk was YELLOW when I put it in the oils.
Schoolbus yellow, but yellow nonetheless.

When I added the FO, a light trace became a medium trace became butterscotch pudding in less than 20 seconds.
I managed to get it into the mold (A corrugated plastic jobbie I saw on You tube... pretty inexpensive, and except for this recipe, would probably work fine for anything that doesn't generate enough heat to warm Toronto in winter).

Then I put it out in the garage (40 degrees tonight)... apparently, 40 isn't cold enough... I went out to check on it and it was absolutely tangerine orange and getting some liquid on the edges. I moved it immediately into the fridge...

I figure it has gelled plenty and now I just need to get it cooled off.

I hope this turns out.... I am pretty sure the pinstripe came out straight.

Did you freeze the goats milk ? If you freeze it, it should come out a creamy colour, but don't forget to put it straight in the frig and not leave it out.

I did freeze the goatsmilk... quite solid, in fact.

What I failed to do was keep an eye on the icebath. It ran out of ice as I was adding lye and I figured it would be cold enough to get me through to the end of the process... mistake.

I also failed to stir from the bottom of the mixing cup up, but instead made little figure eights like I saw in some videos (also on Youtube). When I lifted the spoon, I realized that the solution had stratified and there was a whole layer of yellow underneath the creamy off-white... so I started stirring in 3 dimensions... it mixed fairly well... but it was definitely yellow by then.

I simply hate making milk soaps! I've learned to use water for the lye and add milk after the oils and lye solution have emulsified. If I'm using canned goatsmilk this gets me to 100% milk (kinda). If using fresh goats milk or then it's half strength in the final soap, but it'll do.

I do make my buttermilk soaps usually at 100% - mixed with the lye, but I HATE making them.

Carebear, I can understand why.

After a night in the fridge, it is very clear that I am going to have to rebatch this log. :/

The oil on top did not reincorporate, the entire log turned almost persimmon in color and it zaps... a lot...in different places on the soap (unevenly)! I got my first real zap since starting my adventures in soaping; it's about time, I know, but I had a good run for a good long while...it was kinda surprising, considering how well it gelled. I think I may have actually gotten to the near edge of separation...so rebatching it is.

Many choose not to allow their milk soaps to gel. I've had no luck totally preventing gel so I let everything take that path. The trick - if you want to gel - is to complete gel without overheating..

I didn't really have much of choice on the gelling... I am not sure but I think it started to gel all by itself as I was pouring it into the mold...

When I say this FO went fast, what I really meant is "This FO went FAST!!!"
It's the Eggnog scent from Elements and I knew it was going to accelerate a little because of the spice scents in it... but I was unprepared for what transpired.

I may have been able to save it if I had put it into the freezer for a half hour and then into the fridge, but I didn't know... next time is next time.

Somewhere is my story of trying to prevent gel. I soaped cool, chilled my mold for hours before pouring, put the soap into the freezer for a day or so, stepped down to the fridge for a few days, stepped down to the cold garage floor, brought it in a week after the initial pour and it gelled (partially) on the kitchen counter.

Back