Oh Boy! I goofed up!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Zany_in_CO, You are right! I sure won't make that mistake again!!! I'm going to try and do what you suggested and do the Oven Rebatch when I get a chance. That will be another interesting experience to have as well!!!

Thank you @Mobjack Bay and @cmzaha for your insights about false trace, unstable emulsion and my temperatures. This is very valuable information and I'm going to up my temps to 95 to ensure better stability. Even though I am new to soaping, of the batches that I've made thus far, I too like to pour at thin trace and I see that I am pushing that line between false trace/ unstable emulsion. Add that I added too much colorant into the mix and here I am.

Another thought that I have as well is that I don't actually know how well calibrated my infared temperature gun is. That is to say, it's reading 90 degrees but it could be a few degrees less (or more). I have a lab grade thermometer in a box somewhere and think I'll pull it out to see what temperatures I'm really at.

I am learning a lot from you experienced soapers and I really appreciate you taking the time to give advice and educate. Your experiences and insight are helping me immensely to understand and learn the nuances of soaping... I recently heard about Kevin Dunn's book 'Scientific Soapmaking' and it seems like a must read at this point!

Thank you again everyone!

You've definitely shown the ability to ask great questions, make observations, and accept help - you are well on your way to being a great soap maker Michael!

I recently heard about Kevin Dunn's book 'Scientific Soapmaking' and it seems like a must read at this point!
You also may wish to browse through our resident Science Guru, @DeeAnna's Soapy Stuff. It will be time well spent. 😉

You probably don't need this, but since I'm not sciencey at all, and I don't worship at the altar of Kevin Dunn, here are some other sources you may find helpful when it comes to experienced soapmakers tips:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/sources-for-new-soap-makers.64427/
All are worth a gander but Lovin' Soap Studio FREE Cold Process Soap-Making Guide is especially helpful for Newbies just starting out.

ETA: Edited to add link to Soapy Stuff.

Last edited:
@Zany_in_CO, thank you for the references!!

I will look at @DeeAnna's Soapy stuff , the links for 'Sources for New Soap Makers' and the Lovin'Soap Studio you sent along. Because I have a background in science and am by nature curious, I want to understand as much as I can about the process of soap formation under various parameters and conditions. That said, I also am very grateful for all the encouragement and practical help from everyone on this forum.

Happy Soaping!

Because I have a background in science and am by nature curious,
Be sure to take a cuppa along when you visit @DeeAnna's site. Take your time to read through "Getting Started" to lay a foundation for what follows. Then browse the Table of Contents to find whatever grabs your attention.

Oh! And be sure to bookmark it to return to again...and again... and again.
:nodding:

Latest posts

Back