1st SMF Soap Challenge- July

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1)Newbie (I haven't combined many of these patterns, so this will be new to me too)

2) Saponista (Can't wait to get started )

3) Galaxy (Woot! Lots of cool swirls will come of this!)

4) not_ally (Lots of hair-pulling will come of this! Hopefully some cool swirls as well.)

5) Seawolfe (no idea what I'm doing, but will get soap batter in my hair and have fun))

6) Soapswirl (excited to try something new!)

7) Dixiedragon (got something in mind!)

8 ) Mintle (I am swirling on the inside already hehehe )

9) Lionprincess (is busy swearing mightily because her phone service stinks)

10) KristaY (went scouring the dollar store this morning for interesting tools!)

11) Sonya - as if I would miss it!!

12) Artisan Designs (by Kat) -(I have some plastic throw away things from work I am hoping to use)

13) doriettefarm (I'll give it a shot. I have something in mind after studying newbie's AL swap soap and youtube videos.)

14) kumudini ( I'm decided, finally!)

15) TVivian (I'll play! Even though I've never made a swirled soap in a slab mold before!)

16) Dillsandwitch ( Either the cold has buggered off or the drugs I got are working
icon_biggrin.gif
)

17) jules92207 (Cause someone has to be the not so talented soaper so you all can feel even better about your soaps - &#128516
icon_wink.gif

icon_cool.gif
Kisha (so jules92207 won't feel all alone with her not so talented status, and because you guys are just so dern convincing)

18) rainycityjen (my house crest is We Do Not Swirl. So let's see how this works)

Okay, I'm in if you'll have me, Got my first slab mold coming this week and it needs breaking in.

1)Newbie (I haven't combined many of these patterns, so this will be new to me too)

4) not_ally (Lots of hair-pulling will come of this! Hopefully some cool swirls as well.)

5) Seawolfe (no idea what I'm doing, but will get soap batter in my hair and have fun))

10) KristaY (went scouring the dollar store this morning for interesting tools!)

12) Artisan Designs (by Kat) -(I have some plastic throw away things from work I am hoping to use)

13) doriettefarm (I'll give it a shot. I have something in mind after studying newbie's AL swap soap and youtube videos.)

15) TVivian (I'll play! Even though I've never made a swirled soap in a slab mold before!)

16) Dillsandwitch ( Either the cold has buggered off or the drugs I got are working )

17) jules92207 (Cause someone has to be the not so talented soaper so you all can feel even better about your soaps - &#128516

18. Kisha (so jules92207 won't feel all alone with her not so talented status, and because you guys are just so dern convincing)

19. rainycityjen (my house crest is We Do Not Swirl. So let's see how this works)

20. TRBeck

Of course we'll have you!! You really do need to copy the list and paste, so you can add your addendum after your name. You don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. ;)

16) Dillsandwitch ( Either the cold has buggered off or the drugs I got are working )

18. Kisha (so jules92207 won't feel all alone with her not so talented status, and because you guys are just so dern convincing)

19. rainycityjen (my house crest is We Do Not Swirl. So let's see how this works)

20. TRBeck (got my first slab mold coming this week and it needs breaking in).

I did my first 2 attempts today and I hate them both. :-x It's so funny how you can plan it all out, see it in your mind but the actual thing....nope. Not even close. I know where I went wrong so hopefully tomorrow when I flip them over, I'll have things sorted out. Grrrrr...... :lolno:

20. TRBeck (got my first slab mold coming this week and it needs breaking in).

21. Balloons (Looks like a fun challenge. Count me in!)
user_offline.gif

Bummer, finally a challenge I feel I may be up to and I don't have enough posts yet!! I guess I need to post more often...:grin:

You all have fun, I'll be watching closely!

I did my first 2 attempts today and I hate them both. :-x It's so funny how you can plan it all out, see it in your mind but the actual thing....nope. Not even close. I know where I went wrong so hopefully tomorrow when I flip them over, I'll have things sorted out. Grrrrr...... :lolno:
Good luck! I cannot even imagine the effect I am after, not mentiońing the start. This is mind blowing.

OMG, this is harder than it seems. First attempt was a bit of a disappointment, but OK. But got jumbled up on which steps I did w/what tools, blah blah. The swirl/bars from that one are OK but already seem to be developing ash. Second attempt, today's, was really funny. The color batchlets turned into cement in the mixing cups. Tried to glop it into the mold, swearing like a sailor the whole time. It was so thick there was no way to do ANY kind of swirl, I just tried to mash it in so that it end up being usable soap, no matter how ugly. It was so hot that I stuck it in the freezer immediately for fear of it exploding or something.

I will post a pic that demonstrates the utter ridiculosity of it, just to make anyone who is embarrassed about posting their attempts feel better, there is always someone who is worse off!

Man, this stuff really does require a modicum of organization and soaping skills, I am beginning to seriously question both :)

ETA: For your viewing edification and a good laugh (not sure if it is clear, the teeth of the comb actually broke off in the batter ...

challenge snafu 1.jpg

challenge snafu 2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! It's, ummm... beautiful, not_ally! Seriously though, I do love the colors you picked. I'm expecting similar results since I've never done more than 3 colors at a time, and that was a nightmare! I have a folder full of color ideas on Pinterest that just sit and look pretty, but I've been to afraid to actually attempt. Can't wait to try this weekend!

It is AMAZING how you guys can alway find something good to say. I think I should get a prize for being willing to display the most embarrassing attempt. Come on, now, I think I have this one in the bag, just give it to me already :)

Breaking the teeth of the comb off IN THE SOAP is pretty difficult to top. I got a very good laugh at your expense, Miss NA, I must say. I like your colors as well and I was hopeful that you were able to bang them into the mold and still get something cool, if not a good swirl, so I guess we'll see when you cut.

I just had something similar happen and I was unable to move to plan b in my head. I ended up with my Christmas Puke soap.

Breaking the teeth of the comb off IN THE SOAP is pretty difficult to top. I got a very good laugh at your expense, Miss NA, I must say. .

That is good, newbie, I had a good laugh myself! It really was funny to see it unfold. I find it difficult to believe (a) that anyone will be able to top that (Jules, you wish :) or that (b) your Christmas puke soap can hold a candle to this one.

Those colors are beautiful NA! And I do wish there was a video of you swearing like a sailor.. I'm sure that I will be doing the same on mine, and I will post that video lol.. I may have to bleep.

The colours you were using are lovely not_ally, so you are on the right track. Were you using a new fragrance? That's all I am saying cos I don't even have the courage to put myself out there and sign up. I am useless at colouring and swirling and I am sure the same would happen to me as what happened to you!! Good luck on your next batch, I am sure it will be successful

Oh NA, I'm sorry but that was definitely a lol moment!! But as others have said - fab colours

I'm hoping to attempt my first one tonight - wish me luck!!

Latest posts

Back