Deodorant Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... Unless the tree has been re-established and growing here....
Where is here? Are you located in Brazil?

Businesses like Rainforest Chica (Babassu - Babaçu Oil) and Paris Fragrances ( Babassu Oil Natural Unrefined) sell what they say is sustainably harvested babassu oil – although not inexpensive, their products are lovely to work with. There are reports of initiatives to re-establish locally sustainable babassu production in parts of Brazil (Reviving Brazil's Babassu) and I hope these are real and actually helpful because it sounds as if a goodly number of small communities would benefit. Plus (from the linked article): "The babassu palm not only thrives in dense closed forests but also acts as a pioneer species capable of rejuvenating degraded and deforested areas, facilitating the growth of other species."

Just thoughts from a user, as I am in no way an expert on anything. I hope you find your perfect formula! 🍀

I've been experienting, but coconut trees are mainly grown in Asia and the Pacific. Coconut Trees aren't associated with deforestation. I stay away from sourcing in unsustainable habitats. Not to say, I'm not a fan in using Coconut Oil due to the possible yellowing stains. I need to find ingredients that are non-staining.

I used the same exact ingredients for my 2oz. sample which had no discoloration. Pale yellow, smooth. Very strange. In fact, all of my samples of all kinds of ingredients and I've never had a blotched discoloration in my deo's. I've googled and can't find the reason anywhere.
Maybe you need to read this article about babassu. https://climatechampions.unfccc.int...sustainable-alternative-to-imported-palm-oil/.

Babassu is still your best choice for deodorant unless you never wear light clothing. You definitely risk ruining clothing due to yellow staining over time with CO. The antibacterial properties of babassu seem to be much better than CO.

This is my ingredient list, but sorry I am not posting all the percentages. It took me a few years to work it all out. I will post the main two percentages.
Babassu Oil 40%
Magnesium hydroxide 30.4% (sifted into oils)
BTMS 25 do not overheat
Carnauba Wax, Sunflower Wax, Candelilla Wax, etc.
Cetyl Alcohol
Zinc Ricinoleate
Illipe Butter
Zinc Oxide (sifted) (1%)
Fragrance 0.5-1%

I left a few hints. I still have customers call me and order up to 10 tubes so they are stocked up until I get moved and start making my deo again. I do have to tweak this a bit for winter and summer.
@cmzaha do you have your ebook available? I would buy the book just for this recipe. I don’t sell my stuff, just make things for family and friends.

Back