Zum Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had never heard of them, but I have just been all over their website, and this is what I think:

1. They apparently have one base recipe for body soaps as every ingredient list reads exactly the same. Only the colors and EOs change.

2. Goat's milk base leads me to believe they masterbatch their lye/GM and use that for everything. I think they lack a proper description for that part that the public will understand.

3. They are a perfect example of "do one thing, and do it well, then market the h___ out of it." One base recipe, give it bright colors and yummy scents, then let the marketers have fun.

http://www.indigowild.com/

Last edited:
We have several big and small natural drugstores and grocery stores in Seattle, and they all have a wide variety of natural soaps, including Zum. Whole Foods' most popular brand though I believe is Alaffia's "GOOD" soap, which is bigger and cheaper. Sappo Hill soaps, which comes as round pucks, are also everywhere. It seems to me the handmade soap scene isn't huge here, and maybe that's why. (I mean, people are making soap, and there are a crap ton of farmer's markets, but you just can't get any kind of scale without putting in a lot of money, it seems.)

At least with small batch soaps, people get to talk one-on-one with the soapmaker. That will always have value I hope.

from their about us page:

Did you know that Z u m Ba rs contain such a high per centage of essen tial oils that they are cons idered thera peutic?

really?

I have to admit that I still pick up a couple of ZUM bars every now and then, just for the fun of it. I can't use them in winter though, they make me itchy.

When they say "goat's milk base" it could easily be a little of goat's milk powder with a bunch a water. They can still claim that it has goat's milk, but who knows how much of it?

Latest posts

Back