Zero SF - max coconut oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've searched and can't find an answer to this. For those who are using zero SF, how much coconut oil are you using? I know I've seen ZNSC at 10% and have made that myself, and it's lovely. If I use say lard and OO or RBO and a smidge of castor, is 15% coconut oil too much for zero SF? I know I can make a small batch and wait 8 weeks, etc. But before potentially wasting material thought I'd get a feel from y'all of whether that even makes sense. I have hard water and want to reduce soap scum without having to add chelators. TOA

I think it depends on your skin's personal tolerance for CO. Maybe make one batch with 15%, and another with 20%, and see if you notice a difference on your skin.

We've had a noticeable reduction in soap scum since just from lowering my typical SF from 5% to 2%. Although there is no scientific information to back this up, I definitely see less soap scum when using vinegar for the lye liquid. It's also great for hardening the bars without the need for salt or SL.

I think it depends on your skin's personal tolerance for CO. Maybe make one batch with 15%, and another with 20%, and see if you notice a difference on your skin.

I was actually debating 10% vs 15%. Any more than that dries me. I was debating whether 10% would be enough for bubbles.. I typically use aloe juice though so have that boost.

Thanks for the input!

Hope

I've searched and can't find an answer to this. For those who are using zero SF, how much coconut oil are you using? I know I've seen ZNSC at 10% and have made that myself, and it's lovely. If I use say lard and OO or RBO and a smidge of castor, is 15% coconut oil too much for zero SF? I know I can make a small batch and wait 8 weeks, etc. But before potentially wasting material thought I'd get a feel from y'all of whether that even makes sense. I have hard water and want to reduce soap scum without having to add chelators. TOA

I think it’s a good percentage to try. I use 15% with a very low sf as well.

Some people think lard makes a lot of soap scum. I use tons of lard, but always with a chelator so I can’t comment.

Can I ask why you don’t want to use a chelator? It makes a big difference in soap performance with hard water.

Back