ZAPPPP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gettinaclue

Reaction score
My soap mold is a 3" PVC pipe.

It's still to soft to unmold (I tried putting it in the freezer, but it just froze to the mold - it isn't lined), but I'm thinking it's because there is small surface area for evaporation of the soap. It's been 48 hours since I poured it into the mold. I gave it the ol' zap tongue test this evening and boy did it ZAP!

Is this normal? (Forgive me, it's my first batch)

If it stil zaps, I presume it didn't gel? What I would do is freeze the whole thing solid; like overnight. The take it out of the freezer and run hot water over the outside of the PVC pipe. With heat the pipe will expand, which will make it easier to push the soap out. You might want to wear gloves, since the soap still might be caustic.

especially if it didn't gel, what *I* would do is leave it alone for a week or so. then try again.

No, it didn't gel. I soaped at room temp and I didn't use any FOs, EOs, or color. It's a traditional Castile soap.

I tried running hot water on the outside and that didn't seem to help getting it out of the mold.

Is it normal for soap to zap so strongly 48 hours after it's been poured?

Yes, it's frustrating not being able to get it unmolded. If you line future batches you'll find it much easier. I made a batch 2 days ago and unmolded it last night. I was just trying to pry off the end cap and the whole log just slid out, without even being in the freezer. For my last batch I did need to use a vitamin bottle as a pushing ram, but once started it came out fairly easily. Hope you can get yours out soon.

I made a total of 77 oz of soap (yes, I know it's rather large) I don't have the recipe with me (I'm being bad and reading this at work LOL).

I used a few cans stacked on top of each other as my ram. I just stacked some cans up on the floor and pushed down on my mold after running hot water over it. It didn't work LOL.

My main concern was the ZAP. I didn't realize it would zap so strongly. It was like a battery, and I continued to feel it for several minutes. Yes, I washed my tongue LOL.

I think next time, I'll line the mold with some freezer paper to help for easier removal.

Maybe I'll just look into different molds, or just cut my existing one in half or thirds. Of course, there is always the scrap lumber. I may just get the chop saw and hammer out.

gettinaclue said:
No, it didn't gel. I soaped at room temp and I didn't use any FOs, EOs, or color. It's a traditional Castile soap.

I tried running hot water on the outside and that didn't seem to help getting it out of the mold.

Is it normal for soap to zap so strongly 48 hours after it's been poured?

Castile that hasn't gelled can take more than a week to saponify. I'd leave it at least 2 before attempting to unmold - especially if you used the default amount of water a soap calculator recommended.

AHA!!!

I didn't know it would take a week to finish.

Thanks for that. I will leave it until I hit the 1 week mark and try again.

Thank you everyone for the great help!!!!

Olive oil soaps can take much longer than those made with other oils.
And if you used "full water" it will likely still be soft even when it's saponified - that's why I recommended waiting 2 weeks.

Thank you Carebear.

I really appreciate your help!

I'll hold out until 2 weeks then if 1 weeks doesn't do it.

Latest posts

Back