Zap Zap - now I know

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theda

Reaction score
I made a batch yesterday that did not gel, so today, since I've never felt a zap before decided here's my chance. And sure enough I felt the "tingle", now I know what it feels like. I then decided to try out my pH strips and it showed a 13 (no wonder it zapped). I think I'll give it a few more days before testing again!

That happened to me this morning! I didn't gel my soap...took it out of the fridge...touched my tongue to it....massive lye burn!!! Lol I can't feel the tip of my tongue! I will never forget that feeling!!!! Lol

Oooh!!! I really feel for you, Cherry Bomb! What I've been doing is to barely wet my fingertip, take a tiny swipe across the soap with said fingertip, then a tiny touch to my tongue. If it is "zappy", I'll feel it, but so far I haven't gotten burned too. Yowza! :sad:

Oooh!!! I really feel for you, Cherry Bomb! What I've been doing is to barely wet my fingertip, take a tiny swipe across the soap with said fingertip, then a tiny touch to my tongue. If it is "zappy", I'll feel it, but so far I haven't gotten burned too. Yowza! :sad:

That's a great idea DeeAnna! I will try that from here on out! ;)

I've been wondering if my soaps are zappy..everyone says you'll know it when it is, does that mean I'm good since I'm not *sure*? Sorry you got burned Cherry Bomb, that wouldn't be fun at all!

Krystal -- I'd say if you're "not sure" then it's not zappy. To me, non-zappy soap has anything from a neutral, slightly fatty flavor to a slightly sour or slightly salty taste. The taste fades quickly on the tongue. Not something I'd want to eat, but very tolerable.

A zappy soap ... is unmistakable. Your head will jerk back in surprise. It really does feel like you've touched your tongue to a battery. The after-taste is unpleasant, bitter, and metallic, and lingers for awhile. You will want to wash your mouth out with fresh water.

After one "zap", I learned to make my first taste of soap a very, very tiny, cautious one. :)

Latest posts

Back