Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dean "zoap guru"??? Luv it!
happy-feet-penguin.gif

I'm so happy to hear your results. Thanks for sharing.

Hm, my alkanet CP castiles ended up looking like this... So not sure about the purple. There must be something with alkanet and olive oil.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ave-you-done-today.42556/page-482#post-740747
Hi atiz. I pulled your info from the "What Soapy Thing" thread:
Pomace OO - 25% alkanet/madder root infusion - beautiful dark burgundy/purple
lilac/lavender fragrance
aloe liquid
tussah silk
a little bit of honey. For the lather.

- Added lye to the oils. The whole mixture suddenly turned MUD GREEN. Very fast. Pulsed maybe twice with the blender and it was a very thick batter already. Quickly mixed in the fragrance and glopped it into the mold. So... no idea what happened here. I realize there were at least 3-4 new ingredients I had never used before so could have been any of them. But MUD GREEN?!
View attachment 35233
I don't see anything in your list of ingredients that would cause a problem except for the honey. It is a "heater" and that's the culprit that mostly likely accelerated trace. As for the Mud Green color, my guess is it will change color as the bar cures. Cross fingers it goes to red/purple eventually. But in any case, it might fade quite a bit. Natural colorants tend to do that with this recipe.
Cross Fingers.jpg

This cracked me up lol

I hid mine so I wouldn't keep touching it til next week's initial test.
You both cracked me up!
Smack Laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi atiz. I pulled your info from the "What Soapy Thing" thread:

I don't see anything in your list of ingredients that would cause a problem except for the honey. It is a "heater" and that's the culprit that mostly likely accelerated trace. As for the Mud Green color, my guess is it will change color as the bar cures. Cross fingers it goes to red/purple eventually. But in any case, it might fade quite a bit. Natural colorants tend to do that with this recipe.
View attachment 35400
Thanks, Zany! I guess now I don't mind the color too much (it's just for myself), I was just so surprised... The honey was a very last minute addition, probably should have thought about it more. But the bar is rock hard already, and feels really nice -- thank you for the recipe!

I ended up putting an end sliver in my bathroom. I can test it to my heart's delight, if I so choose.

I dont have loaf molds yet and consequently no end slivers. When I get loaf molds, you'll know things r bout to get serious. I’m cautious and can’t jump in the pool and emerge a soaping star like u-kno-who.
upload_2019-1-23_19-22-13.gif

I dont have loaf molds yet and consequently no end slivers. When I get loaf molds, you'll know things r bout to get serious. I’m cautious and can’t jump in the pool and emerge a soaping star like u-kno-who.
View attachment 35402
Oh man, you had to put that clip in there, huh? That movie brings back memories of babysitting... I loved that movie!

I wanted to experiment with this faux seawater and used different soft oils other than olive (avocado and rice bran), aside from the recommended coconut (which I upped a bit) and Castor.

Soap is in the mold but boy did this one have me in panic mode. It went from trace to zapless in 10mins! Talk about fast n furious lol I had to rush n add my already prepared additives and I was leaving spatulas and containers where they fell. I didn't want to overcook nor have it harden up on me in the slow cooker before molding.

I also tried my red sandalwood powder for the first time but I have a feeling I used to little, or I used it the wrong way. We shall see after unmolding.

Sheesh... Now I need a smoke to calm my nerves lol

Has anyone experienced this liquid speed things up for them?

I wanted to experiment with this faux seawater and used different soft oils other than olive (avocado and rice bran), aside from the recommended coconut (which I upped a bit) and Castor.

Soap is in the mold but boy did this one have me in panic mode. It went from trace to zapless in 10mins! Talk about fast n furious lol I had to rush n add my already prepared additives and I was leaving spatulas and containers where they fell. I didn't want to overcook nor have it harden up on me in the slow cooker before molding
I also tried my red sandalwood powder for the first time but I have a feeling I used to little, or I used it the wrong way. We shall see after unmolding.

Sheesh... Now I need a smoke to calm my nerves lol

Not me.

Didnt u say that u HP this recipie before successfully? If so, Id guess it was any new additives that u introduced to this batch.

No - who?
...she says all innocently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not me.

Didnt u say that u HP this recipie before successfully? If so, Id guess it was any new additives that u introduced to this batch.
Maybe different oils. The previous batch took slightly longer, maybe coz it has more olive oil? My additives are always added after the cook.

Hi Dawni, I can't even venture a guess without seeing the whole recipe. Suggest you post it on the Recipe Feedback forum so more people can weigh in. "Experiment with Faux Seawater" and link back to this thread. ;)
Check out Posts #154 & 157. That's the only one that accelerated so far.

@Dawni it was the cooking that was faster, right? Not trace? How much did you up the CO compared to your first HP? (It can make the cook shorter) Was the temperature the same as with the first try?

Oh sorry, I should have been more clear. Yep @szaza, only the cooking. Trace was normal for high-ish olive, certainty took longer than my soaps with more coconut. And yes, cooker setting on high, as always, until about 85% gelled and then off.

Actually, now that I think about it I can make a guess why it was super fast this time. One, 5% more coconut oil. Two, smaller batch by about 150 grams. I'm not sure if using less olive, and subbing the remaining amount with avocado and rice bran, makes much difference?

But even with a mold capacity of 900 grams though (first try) it did take a very short time to cook but I didn't take note of how short... Maybe 40mins?

Another but is, and this one's bigger lol... I did the exact same recipe as the one in question tonight, where the only difference is how I added the sandalwood, and it took longer to cook. About double the time, give or take so around 20-25 mins.

Lol, scratching my head at this.

@Zany_in_CO I'll post there if I find it becomes problem but so far I'm actually glad it takes very little time. I was just unprepared is all. Less time soaping means I can get back to other important stuff lol

The soap is lovely in use! It turned a bit more purple and also faded quite a bit. I used different amounts of alkanet (between 17-100% alkanet infused oo) Though the different shades are swirled a bit more than I intended I think I can say if you want to use alkanet with this recipe 35% should be regarded as a bare minimum, with better results at 50% and 70%
. IMG_20190202_194502.jpg

And here is my (now remarkably blue) no-slime Castile with the soda ash. Still quite pretty though. And due to the type of mould I think I can get away with the soda ash adding an extra dimension.

KiwiMoose - these are gorgeous - may I clarify - soda ash yielded this gorgeous color? I have done some fabric dyeing, and I thought soda ash was used to help dye "latch onto" fiber - I have never heard of using it on its own?

Thank you very much for your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back