Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made Zany's castile soap recipe a few days ago as as written. It turned out beautifully! I poured into bar molds rather than a loaf. They came out of the molds perfectly the next day. Now to let it cure. One question... I made this with making laundry soap out of it in mind. Do I have to cure it for a year? What would happen if I used it sooner? If I did use it sooner, how long do you think I would neeed to let it cure (safely)? Thank you for the recipe!

I made this recipe today! Hand stirred until emulsion and it gave me a ton of working time. I'm trying to gel it in the oven, though it doesn't seem too eager to gel. I'm going to sleep, so I'll leave it in the oven overnight to cool down and see how it looks tomorrow!

One question... I made this with making laundry soap out of it in mind. Do I have to cure it for a year? What would happen if I used it sooner? If I did use it sooner, how long do you think I would neeed to let it cure (safely)? Thank you for the recipe!
You're welcome, Kathy. Please read Post #9 for answers about cure time.

The soap that went in the oven had hardened and I was able to unmold it. (Less than 12hours after making it) however, the leftover soap that I poured in individual molds and left outside are still fluid! I think this recipe has amazing potential for intricate swirls! (Though I am slightly worried about the soaps not hardening at all.. would that be possible? I guess time will tell..)

I gave the 100% OO (two week old) a try in the shower this morning. It is the first 100% OO soap I have ever tried. It is nice and silky. I have a 3 month old 100 % OO with out the faux salt I think tomorrow I will try it to compare. I would make it again but have to figure out when/how to cut a loaf or to do individual molds. When I first made it it was taking along time to harden, I was able to cut before 48 hours but it was soft. The next batch I left past 48 hours and it was crumbly. I am thinking individual molds.

@Zany_in_CO they're hardening ever so slowly, but they're not fluid anymore:) so I'm sure they'll be ok, Just need more patience. I poured at emulsion and left them in the cold so probably that's why it's taking so long. (Does give you an awful lot of play time for swirls I guess).
Tried to cut the log that went into the oven, but I'm not sure if it's still top soft or already crumbly.. Will try again tonight;)

I made a small batch yesterday, 6 round bars. I did put it in the oven at 170F for about an hour as it seemed very “loose”. It is looking good this morning. Will post photo when I take the soap out of the mold. The lye water did appear “cloudy” , probably because of the soda in the water but I am not going to stress over it. The bars look pretty darn nice right now.

A couple of photos of the “no-slime” Castile soap - fresh from their molds.

Attachments

• AF8495D6-2694-4114-A7B5-55D6FA1A1625.jpeg
    AF8495D6-2694-4114-A7B5-55D6FA1A1625.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DC588C2E-369C-454C-A4D8-5260E63C2EE1.jpeg
    DC588C2E-369C-454C-A4D8-5260E63C2EE1.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:
So... update: I waited way too long to cut and the soap was crumbly..
Though still soft enough to knead the crumled bars into soap stones - something else to check off my to soap list:)
If someone else is cpop'ing this recipe, definately cut as soon as possible!
IMG_20190122_171223.jpg

A couple of photos of the “no-slime” Castile soap - fresh from their molds.
Nice! I notice this recipe, no matter that mine is HP and isn't 100% Olive oil, makes really smooth bars..

So... update: I waited way too long to cut and the soap was crumbly..
Though still soft enough to knead the crumled bars into soap stones - something else to check off my to soap list:)
If someone else is cpop'ing this recipe, definately cut as soon as possible!
View attachment 35357
Same with HP.. If I had cut a couple of hours later than I did it might have crumbled.

But hey! Your soap stones look cool, what with the stone effect of the colors you used. I like it!

How'd they feel @KiwiMoose? I'm itching for mine to reach a full 2wks before testing. I sent the whole loaf, minus the two end pieces, with my dad coz I figured I can always make myself more..

I might make a baby soap next time with this recipe.. Maybe add ground oatmeal with rice powder and coconut milk for "added" softness.

Same with HP.. If I had cut a couple of hours later than I did it might have crumbled.
Good to know! May I ask how long you waited to cut your HP?
I also really like the bluish grey color in the Stones.. but since I used alkanet it' supposed to turn purple! Haha I'm curious how that's going to look!

Last edited:
Can't remember exactly but can't be more than 4hrs from molding to cutting. It was already more than "just hard enough" then and I had to really push the cutter down.

I heard it goes through several changes. It might end up looking exactly how you wanted it to. You just reminded me that I have to make time to try my alkanet... Did you also HP that one or CP? If HP, how did you use the alkanet?

@Dawni - they are very slick and slippery. I've not used a Castile bar before (I also added 10% coconut oil and 5% castor oil) and I'm still undecided as to whether I like it. I prefer a more frothy bar. They are nice and firm and definitely not slimey ( though when i tested it at 2 weeks it was). And gentle on the skin.

Just beveled my soaps...both soy wax and Zany’s...which were MUCH younger than the SW soap. Zany’s beveled much better...I’m guessing cuz they r harder than the SW that rates a whopping 54 on the hardness scale. Since I was a’bevelin’ and a’fondelin’, I felt compelled to lather test again. Zany’s lathered even better than b4...and at only 1.5 weeks. Plus my hands feel super soft after. I’m thinking this soap may be a contender and @Zany_in_CO could be the new zoap guru.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back