Your favorite alternate molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squigglz

Reaction score
Some of us can't afford/can't justify the cost of the nice wooden molds, and lack the know how to make them. So, let's hear everyone's favorite alternate molds! That way, everyone gets some new ideas and new ways to mold up their soaps :)

My favorites:

Pringles can: I can use it just how it is once I wash it out, since I do HP. If you do CP, it needs to be lined fully, because the inside is aluminum and will react to the lye. I haven't tried it with MP yet, though I have some MP ideas that I want to use with it.

Bottoms of large cardboard boxes: I buy cereal in bulk (I have a growing boy that will eat everything everywhere ever-and he's only four), and then i cut off the bottom of the outer box and use it as a mold once I've lined it with butcher's paper. It holds a LOT of soap-probably 7 pounds or so.

That's pretty much all I have for alternate molds, though I do keep an eye out as much as I can. My fiance eats a lot of tofu, so I may start snagging his empty containers to use.

Do you use them like a vertical mold? We don't do soymilk much but we do drink a LOT of orange juice-especially in the winter-so I'll have to try that!

I have used them for rebatching-I will then take out the rectangle and cut it into half long ways and then cut slices from those!

Crystal Light containers (they're now a cool oval), off-brand diet koolaid containers (usually round) dollar store drawer dividers. I like all of these because I can just spray them with Pam instead of lining.

Crystal Light containers (they're now a cool oval), off-brand diet koolaid containers (usually round) dollar store drawer dividers. I like all of these because I can just spray them with Pam instead of lining.

You know, I've been searching every dollar store near me for drawer dividers/long storage containers, and I simply can't find any :( I'll keep the Crystal Light in mind, though!

you can get really nice wood cigar boxes at high-end smoke shops. sometimes the shop owner will give them to you for nothing or just a couple bucks because they pile up. i lined mine with freezer paper and they were totally great.

you can get really nice wood cigar boxes at high-end smoke shops. sometimes the shop owner will give them to you for nothing or just a couple bucks because they pile up. i lined mine with freezer paper and they were totally great.

We have a smoke shop nearby and I never even thought of that! Do you find that the tobacco smell carries over? I sell my soaps, so I don't want to trigger a reaction.

I know! It's so frustrating. I was looking for the Rubbermaid brand dividers. They used to have them at Walmart, but they weren't there anymore when I looked. I did find some that weren't Rubbermaid at the Dollar Tree. The nice thing was they were more flexible and only cost 50 cents. The Rubbermaid ones sometimes break when you try to get the soap out.

What a great thread...love to see such creative ideas!

I recently cut a mailing tube in half, taped the plastic end pieces in place and and used it (lined) to produce semi-circle bars. It was a bit tricky to stabilise - I used the wall at the back of the kitchen counter with some books in front.

Do you spray your silicone loaf molds with Pam or anything?

After 48 hours the green soap was easy to remove from the silicon loaf pan. No treatment is necessary.

attached pic is also on another post
Nevada

Loaframe.jpg

Shoe or boot boxes, lined with butcher paper, paperboard cream containers. I usually cut the tops off and use them vertically but have also cut a side off and laid them down. When I do that I put enough in a box that they lay tightly together and not bow out at the sides. Just rip them off and trash the pcs, no need to line even with CP.

I got some sample nail polish bottles from sks that came in a narrow cardboard box. It is almost the same size as a 4 pound wood mold. The only difference was it was a few inches shorter. I will upload pics later. Order something from them, samples and shipping are free.

Last edited:
I like to use the quart sized milk cartons and the Pringles cans :) and since i have two young children a lot of the packaging that their toys come in make some pretty neat molds as well! I'm going to go to the hardware store today and i want to get some silicone wile im there. then i'm gonna mix it in with some corn starch to make my own silicone molds :) i'm really excited.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkpwrtDIJvE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkpwrtDIJvE[/ame]

Bought the lumber and hinges at Lowes today to make a wooden loaf mold...about $20 worth of materials with wood, hinges and 3/8" bolts with wing nuts. Stopped by Kroger afterward and saw this on the 3rd aisle. Burst out laughing and couldn't resist buying it. It's the perfect size for $10. It's 3.5" x 13.25" and 3.5" tall. I has vertical sides and is completely square except for the rounded corners. By my calculations it would hold almost exactly 4lbs of soap for twelve 3.5" x 2.54" x 1" bars plus a little waste. And you've to another inch of height if you want taller bars. Don't guess Lowe's will take back cut lumber. :oops:

Kroger Fridge and Freeze Bin.jpg

Bought the lumber and hinges at Lowes today to make a wooden loaf mold...about $20 worth of materials with wood, hinges and 3/8" bolts with wing nuts. Stopped by Kroger afterward and saw this on the 3rd aisle. Burst out laughing and couldn't resist buying it. It's the perfect size for $10. It's 3.5" x 13.25" and 3.5" tall. I has vertical sides and is completely square except for the rounded corners. By my calculations it would hold almost exactly 4lbs of soap for twelve 3.5" x 2.54" x 1" bars plus a little waste. And you've to another inch of height if you want taller bars. Don't guess Lowe's will take back cut lumber. :oops:

You can't have too many molds though!

Latest posts

Back