Your experiences trying FO's that smell awful OOB?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said you just received them.... usually they smell different just after arriving because of all the movement, and you can do a more fair assessment if you let them sit 24 hrs or so. In my own personal experience, and perhaps because I have an acute sense of smell; if I dislike it out of the bottle, I will dislike it in the soap. The only exception has been spearmint EO. I also hated cedarwood (because I got the Texas version) But over time it has grown on me.
As far as fragrances, I usually sell them straight away if I don’t like them, and if I decide to try them in soap I still dislike them.

I did smell them when they arrived and then again a couple of days later to show my boyfriend. I think my sense of smell is pretty accurate too, it's the reason I'm so picky with food (lol). So, I think will try these in single soaps since it's my first experience with them. If you don't mind my asking, where do you sell them?

I did smell them when they arrived and then again a couple of days later to show my boyfriend. I think my sense of smell is pretty accurate too, it's the reason I'm so picky with food (lol). So, I think will try these in single soaps since it's my first experience with them. If you don't mind my asking, where do you sell them?
don´t mind at all, In facebook, I am in a few destash groups. Such as soap supply destash, or Soap Supplies Destash and Vendor Sales by Soap Box Micas. I have posted in the classifieds here too. Some groups do not allow crossposting, you just have to look in the group rules.

I got lavender lemon fragrance oil from nature’s garden and at first I hated it! Then after letting it sit for awhile I reluctantly used it. You know what? Not only do I love the smell but ended up ordering more! It’s one of my favorites. Sometimes cure, cures! Lol

I got lavender lemon fragrance oil from nature’s garden and at first I hated it! Then after letting it sit for awhile I reluctantly used it. You know what? Not only do I love the smell but ended up ordering more! It’s one of my favorites. Sometimes cure, cures! Lol

I like that little saying, haha!

I was freaking out last month after adding to my soap. Very fake lemony but it settled down. I did in a soleseif with lemon peel for extra exfoliation.

Hope

I have a tiny IceCube tray that holds about 15g batter per cube. I mix 1/8 tsp of FO per cube and do a whole lot of testers at once. I scratch numbers on the cubes once they’ve saponified. This lets me work out how they smell in soap rather than OOB which I find is often vastly different.
If I really hate an FO I try and mix it with something to make a nice, one off scent. You can put a couple of cubes in a plastic bags and see if that combo smells nice. I hate waste!

if you have some people you can enlist as testers and one of them loves a scent you hate make a one off batch Just for them (even if it’s just small enough to use up the FO).

I have a tiny IceCube tray that holds about 15g batter per cube. I mix 1/8 tsp of FO per cube and do a whole lot of testers at once. I scratch numbers on the cubes once they’ve saponified. This lets me work out how they smell in soap rather than OOB which I find is often vastly different.
If I really hate an FO I try and mix it with something to make a nice, one off scent. You can put a couple of cubes in a plastic bags and see if that combo smells nice. I hate waste!

if you have some people you can enlist as testers and one of them loves a scent you hate make a one off batch Just for them (even if it’s just small enough to use up the FO).

Thank you, this is a great idea!

I had a couple of scents that I got during RE's scent sale last year that I absolutely hated OOB...Blueberry and Cherry-Almond. Then I made them into soap. The Blueberry turned out night, I thought the Cherry-Almond was just too 'sweet'.

I also had a scent that smelled great OOB, but not so much in [CP] soap...it was a Dragon's Blood. I'll have to look it up since I have several bottles by different suppliers.

I've used the WSP Lavender Vanilla in hot process soap and it came out fine. I don't really like lavender scents (but others do and I like to offer a variety of scents).

Thank you for sharing your experience with it. I'm really curious to see how it will change in soap, just working up the courage to test these. xD

Hi all! So, I just received an order with a handful of fragrance oils and I'm a bit disappointed with how some of them smell. I'm reluctant to try them. I've read reviews (for other FO's) that have noted a pleasant change the maker's opinion of the FO once the soap is in the curing process, so I realize the smell might change significantly once the FO is IN a soap. What have been your experiences with this--do you go and ahead and try it anyway? Do you try it in a teensy batch? Any tips for testing FO's? I was also wondering if there are ever any swaps for these kinds of things on the forum. Thank you!!

& for those who are curious, the two in question are WSP's Farmer's Market Baby Bibb and WSP's Lavender Vanilla! The former smells like Raid to me and the latter smells like strong cleaning chemicals. :x
I wondered these same things too. Raid heh heh! Urgh! I bought two scents both so bad i chucked them and i hate waste. Piping Rock - the cherry blossom and a honey one. Burned my nostrils off!! I have a few i use only to deodourise the outside bin if it smells bad enough to need washed out. They are dewberry, baby powder and intensity by Just A Soap, but they arent nasty exactly, just not to my liking. I only tried two in soap i was unsure about, one stayed chemically and the other just needed a really low dose to be tolerable. Have noticed quite a few scents change during cure tho...

I wondered these same things too. Raid heh heh! Urgh! I bought two scents both so bad i chucked them and i hate waste. Piping Rock - the cherry blossom and a honey one. Burned my nostrils off!! I have a few i use only to deodourise the outside bin if it smells bad enough to need washed out. They are dewberry, baby powder and intensity by Just A Soap, but they arent nasty exactly, just not to my liking. I only tried two in soap i was unsure about, one stayed chemically and the other just needed a really low dose to be tolerable. Have noticed quite a few scents change during cure tho...

Yeah, I've still been hesitant to try out the ones I mentioned in this post. The OOB scents really discouraged me!

BB's Cedar & Amber is an example of an FO I hate OOB but is actually far more pleasant in a soap. I need to find one of my other FOs to see how it blends (the FO in question should smell like pine trees) for the Holidays. My point is, you're just not going to know if you like them until you try them. I do like PJ's suggestion with the ice cube trays.

I feel the same way, if I don't like it, I don't soap it. I never had a soap that smelled better after soaping than before, but I had plenty that started of nice and morph in soap. It is a bit of a risk, so I've learned to buy small amounts of FO, soap them, and only then do I buy bigger volumes of FO.

Oh yeah, I've bought some 4 oz. ones that I'm not too excited about so I've decided to never do that again, lol. Thankfully these icky ones are 2 oz., but I think I will end up trying to destash them, which someone else suggested.

Remember that even if a fragrance gets a good review it may still be a fragrance you don't like. Green fragrances are not for everyone. I like lavender vanilla to still have an herbal note but you may prefer a sweeter floral. Soap small amounts and then decide if they are for you. There are some fragrances that I don't like OOB but do like in soap but mostly if I don't like the scent OOB I also won't like it in soap.

Remember that even if a fragrance gets a good review it may still be a fragrance you don't like. Green fragrances are not for everyone. I like lavender vanilla to still have an herbal note but you may prefer a sweeter floral. Soap small amounts and then decide if they are for you. There are some fragrances that I don't like OOB but do like in soap but mostly if I don't like the scent OOB I also won't like it in soap.
I think I found that one scent I don't like OOB and luckily, BB stopped selling it.

Latest posts

Back