Your Curing Area

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sharing my pics b/c my racks are in the laundry room and it's a pit of messiness. Off of the laundry room, though, we have an unused bathroom with a shower stall, and my husband said I can set up shelves in that shower stall. Unfortunately it's a matter of $$ at this point. As in, he also said I'm spending too much of it :p

here are some of mine...

curingrack.jpg

curingsoap.jpg

Until the basement is ready for me to soap in I will be curing my soap (when I make it that is) in my bedroom. It's a 11' x 9' bedroom. Will the smell take over my room?

Until the basement is ready for me to soap in I will be curing my soap (when I make it that is) in my bedroom. It's a 11' x 9' bedroom. Will the smell take over my room?

If it is anything like my MPs and if you like strong to medium strength scents, then most likely yes, the scent will take over your room. I have my MP lemongrass and lavender in a plastic bag and I still smell it through the living room and kitchen. I do not see this as a bad thing, your own mileage may vary depending on how you feel about the various scents that you use.

Has anyone used a garage for curing in really cold areas? My garage *usually* stays above freezing, but it's frequently not very far above. I wonder if I'll have to move inside during the winter?

Wow, that is very nice... if I still didn't have boxes unpacked cause we have no room for stuff... lol!

Somehow I manage to keep 100 to 180 bars at a corner of my kitchen counter ... :shock:

(The white soap is being cut into embeds. Tried cutting the other loaf but it is still quite soft, must wait another day or so).

curing_area.jpg

Last edited:
A month ago my friends built me this rack out of an old 6-ft tall bookcase fitted with old freezer shelves:

Thanks for sharing the pic and I think you have wonderful friends. That's a great idea! I have an old entertainment center (huge) that I had thought of drilling holes into for extra shelves. I blew off the idea thinking it wouldn't work but now I see your picture and I think it would turn out fine. I'm already using it for soap/lotion supplies but I could move everything off the big shelf which was intended to hold a TV. But then I'd have to find space to store these supplies. :problem:

Has anyone used a garage for curing in really cold areas? My garage *usually* stays above freezing, but it's frequently not very far above. I wonder if I'll have to move inside during the winter?

I haven't used a garage for curing but I have set soap on the back porch to prevent gelling. I brought it into the house after it saponified to cut it and let it cure. My concern about you saying it usually stays above freezing would be that it would really extend the curing time. I don't know where you live but the weather where I am is cold and damp. I think if you have similar conditions then the cold and the dampness in the air wouldn't allow for curing very well. I think it would be better to cure your soaps in your house but this is just my opinion.

I use open cardboard boxes and shove 'em under the bed. But I don't have that many. I take them out and see how the color and the scent is doing and rotate them. I want a shelf something like yours.

Hmm, a box under the bed might work if it is tall enough to keep the cat out... I have a tub I can put things in, but it has a lid, and not sure I should have them curing in a covered container as it needs air... though the closet idea is not a whole lot better...

Back